Professor Paddle: Green River Cleanup happening this weekend? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Green River Cleanup happening this weekend? Post Reply Post New Topic
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: Green River Cleanup happening this weekend?
    Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:08pm
Anyone know the status? Usually something is posted by now...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Kiren
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Kiren Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2013 at 11:40pm
it is happening!
From the WRRR page...Come out to join us on our 28th annual Green River clean-up this Sat May 4th. Sign-ups will start at KP or Headworks about 9 AM. After running the river and cleaning up trash, there will be a B-BQ at Flaming Geyser (we suggest a $5.00 donation - please).
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JayC
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote JayC Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:13pm

From Jay via Ken Brettman (US Army Corps of Engineers, Howard Hansen Dam water regulator)

Paraphrased: You can expect around 1500 cfs this weekend plus or minus…..

Okay, short and sweet, 1500 cfs, Green River,75 degrees, opening day of boating season and the picnic at Shelter three, Flaming Geyser State Park is back thanks to WRRR.  WOW! See you there.

Jay

Jay
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2013 at 2:18pm
Awesome, Jay! Thanks for confirming that. I was gonna check out the WRRR page next. See ya out there.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2013 at 6:07pm
Well, that was fun!

Anyone got the inside line on if the dam will remain at a constant release through tomorrow?
nnln.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:47am
Well, it happened, all right.

What an awesome weekend to spend all day on the Green! Sure, I had to miss the Robe Race, but I made a little cash, tightened up the dynamics w/ some of my team mates, and got to see a lot of river peeps I adore.

Anyone know what the Green was actually running on saturday?
And Sunday? I was camping at Kanaskat Palmer where I had no cel service.

Funny how today the flow is boosted up to sweet rafting flows. Those DAM fu*kERS. Glad I didn't kill anyone with those boney flows.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:13pm
1300 @ Palmer. All weekend.

Well, till later in the day yesterday.
nnln.
sub_merged
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote sub_merged Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 1:45pm
Caveat: I know almost nothing about the background of kayaker/rafter interactions with the Corps and Howard Hanson dam staff over release levels.

But seeing the outflow higher last week, low for the cleanup, and back up today made me wonder whether dam operators think that low flows are safer, regardless of local groups communicating their concerns about the Nozzle hazard.

I have the impression that some KP park staff start thinking of the Gorge as "high" somewhere in the 2K range. I don't boat the Gorge anywhere near what most people on PP consider "high," and I've been warned/scolded by the KP rangers when the river was below 3K.

Media coverage of the recent Headworks fatality also mentioned high water (arguably more true for that reach). I think most news stories about river incidents characterize the water level as high whether it is or not, just because that communicates risk to the average reader.

Seems like if public safety concerns during the Green Cleanup affected the dam release, the typical perception about water level (lower = safer) might have outweighed what the Cleanup organizers probably wanted (better flow for rafts, covering the Nozzle sieve).

That, or HH release policy is just a big old black box.
sub_merged
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote sub_merged Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:12pm
The "black box" comment was meant with tongue in cheek, just because we've all had that experience of trying to guess what will happen on a given weekend when flows are near our personal minimum or maximum.

But thanks for the wider insight. I know that flood management and water supply are standard operating priorities for the dam, but I don't know much about fishery management and First Nation concerns as they're reflected in the FERC license. Time for more reading.
geomorph
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote geomorph Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:13pm
Slickhorn... Do you know who was taking photos in there?  We went through pretty quick and didn't catch whether the photographers at the corner were with a company. I'd love to see whether they caught any shots of us.  Thx!
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by geomorph

Slickhorn... Do you know who was taking photos in there?  We went through pretty quick and didn't catch whether the photographers at the corner were with a company. I'd love to see whether they caught any shots of us.  Thx!

Yeah, Slick... who was that fool?
geomorph
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote geomorph Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:29pm
I knew I should have hit PM instead of REPLY...      It was a tan raft with yellow markings.  I think we went through just before Jed and his group of AA.

Edited by geomorph - 06 May 2013 at 2:30pm
geomorph
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote geomorph Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:55pm
Thanks!   
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:14pm
(I posted a bit of blather better suited to another topic, hence editing)

And of course, the clean up never stops even if the official event is over. Here goes the ongoing strive to do our part. Pay it foreward, be the change we want to see in the world.

Edited by Mr.Grinch - 06 May 2013 at 8:29pm
nnln.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 7:08am
AW, nice sentiments, Grinch!!
Leave No Trace.

Yup, Slick- it is what it is. I do wish we could just have one weekend a year of "medium" flows locked in. For the purposes of this discussion, considering we are talking about safe levels for rafting the Green, I'm calling 1800-2200 a moderate flow. Hell, even 1500-1800.

Mercury smoothes out at those flows, and maybe then I wouldnt have had A SWIMMER IN MERCURY. My line was spot on coming through, too. But one of my paddlers (sitting in front of me on the right) toppled out humpty dumpty style when the boat hit a crunchy wave. The old Sotar I was guiding was spongy, too.
More water makes the appoach faster but cleaner and smoother. Fortunately I had hold of him instantly, and despite his unfortunate contact w/ a pour over rock (I was not gonna let go of him), I got him in as we arrived at the pool above the Nozzle. Thought we were gonna broach against the medium small boulder on the left, but my crew was responsive enough and we wiggled through.
Got lined up again from the far left, threaded the Nozzle fine, and hooked my swimmer's paddle shaft with my T-Grip.

A little more water would definitely be safer.
Still a great time though!!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:35am
While I totally agree that 1300cfs isn't ideal for rafts, you might consider that the ACE figures that you'll be able to "clean up" more effectively if the flows are on the lower side, say 1300cfs.  After all, the purpose of this past weekend was for "green river cleanup" and not for "green river ideal boating conditions".  With the assumption that, while lower isn't necessarily better for boating, it's better for cleaning the river, maybe they figure the hidden altruistic nature of boaters will come out and that they'll happily sacrifice one day of perfect boating to help better the environment in which they play.  IF 1300cfs isn't as effective for removing garbage from the river, then it's time for conversation.  This conversation should probably start with "Friends of the Green", as they've played a key roll in negotiating and organizing this annual event.  Another entity could be state parks - don't forget that a former long term ranger at Kanasket Palmer State Park (Dennis) was also a rafter, and regulary rafted the green at all levels, including lower levels.  He may very well had input into "ideal levels" for cleanup.  Also worth taking into consideration is that the Green River Clean Up isn't just the Green River GORGE Clean Up.
While still on the subject, it's interesting to hear about commercial raft companies "taking advantage" of the known release.  Were they partaking in the clean-up, or just reaping the benefits?            

Edited by jalmquist - 07 May 2013 at 9:37am
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:57am
Thanks for the pictures slickhorn!
It was pretty in there, this sequence made me laugh though. I always joke that there are never pics of me since I'm usually the cameraman.
I'm behind the rock at the nozzle in one picture and just ahead of the raft in the second! (the ones with the brown boat)

Have any with me? I'd love to see them since you took such good pictures!

H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 11:38am
Yay! Awesome, thanks!
H2O please
jerryclayross
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jerryclayross Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Mr.Grinch

(I posted a bit of blather better suited to another topic, hence editing)

And of course, the clean up never stops even if the official event is over. Here goes the ongoing strive to do our part. Pay it foreward, be the change we want to see in the world.

Great point Chris!  I'll put up a $30 mountain Khaki prize as part of my event this Sunday for the person with the most trash picked up.  Gotta keep this amazing river as pristine as we can!
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Travisimo

Thanks for the pictures slickhorn!
It was pretty in there, this sequence made me laugh though. I always joke that there are never pics of me since I'm usually the cameraman.
I'm behind the rock at the nozzle in one picture and just ahead of the raft in the second! (the ones with the brown boat)

Have any with me? I'd love to see them since you took such good pictures!

The first shot I took after eddying out below Mercury... Think I just missed you. DOH!

Edited by JoesKayak - 07 May 2013 at 4:58pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version