Professor Paddle: A talking point ... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: A talking point ... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 12:51pm
Christian,

What is more likely in the case is that whitewater kayakers in general are cheap O's and don't buy life insurance so there is probably little to no history of claims payments and adjustments based on the sport. Could they find data on Fatalities sure, but if the parent corp, branch or actual has no history on file of payouts little research is likely to be done.

I have life insurance also and I was 100% honest with our guy like you were and Kayaking was not an issue at all... Skydiving was however.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 2:14pm
James: I'm no actuary, but I'd be willing to bet an insurance actuary bases rates on more than claims histories. Relying exclusively on claims histories for an accurate perception of risk would just be too much of a skew.  
Catch your eddies,
Christian
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:22pm
So, I have no real knowledge about the life insurance world, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of kayaking activity is recreational flatwater boating, and that your life insurance company doesn't break out a separate whitewater category. So when you tell them you kayak, actuarially it looks like a nice nature tour and some exercise. Whereas if you're like "I'm a skydiver, actually," well, 100% of skydives involve jumping out of an airplane.

Similarly, while that AW study sounds sort of comforting, the rivers include SF American, Deso/Gray, Lodore, the Yampa, the main Salmon, and Hells Canyon among others. All high traffic, technically very easy runs. There's no Class V on the list, and the runs that stand out as more difficult/committing (Illinois, Selway) have wayyyy fewer users than the big ones. I'm not claiming the risk for boating harder rivers is higher, just that it is not addressed in the study.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:59pm
No issues with kayaking when I applied for life insurance either. 
But it is a mystery to me why an actuary wouldn't somehow have factored in ww kayaking by now because I sure seem to have had more "oh sh*t" moments kayaking than climbing and yet it was the limited climbing that I do that has me paying a crapload more for life insurance. 
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 7:33pm
I went through the same deal, when it came time to get life insurance for the sake of family.  What was interesting, is that I'm free to engage in any activity, including "offing myself by whatever means" aka shooting myself.  The only exception was no racing motorcycles (past hobby).  No ban on sky diving, climbing, kayaking, running through traffic naked.....you get the idea.  I was amazed that the insurance company would still pay out if I shot myself, but that I couldn't race motorcycles.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 12:12am
Good discussion:

1. JD-G: Who is your broker/insurer? Seriously.

2. I suspect that participation in WW kayaking is so low that when they ask an actuary to compute the risk that they should factor into premiums, the answer is "Tilt."

3. If we had good data, there's no way anyone would ever argue that WW kayaking was safer than driving.

4. Risk in boating, like in climbing is the product of objective and subjective risks. There's a certain amount of risk inherent in, say, hitting the Green at 5K that guys like Christian, Chris, JP, Fish, and all the rest of the A-Team can mitigate with skill, fitness, experience, training, etc. Is the likelihood that they'll be in serious peril from all of the objective risks they encounter high? Not at all. Is it still massively higher than they risks that they encounter getting too and from the river (tweakers included)? Yes.

That's one of the reasons that I proposed basing river ratings on my Drunken Tuber Scale (TM), so that we can take skill out of the equation by imagining the most likely fate that would befall a drunken tuber in jean-shorts, high-tops with checker-pattern laces, a mesh Slayer World Tour half-shirt, and chinese knock-off Oakley Blades if he were to drift into a given rapid.

V = certain death. IV+ = near death and likely hospitalization, IV = one or more possible near drownings and/or lots of bruisings and an overall classification as a "bogus" experience, III+ = rude awakening/buzzkill and high probability of being "pantsed" by the current while clutching to a rock/log - followed by an earnest cost/benefit analysis of the pros of accepting help vs the cons of revealing the magnitude of the shrinkage once on shore , III = capsizing followed by flashing devil/hang-loose/rock-on sign to any onlookers who happen to be present, II = high-fiving and cracking another Schmidt Ice after each wave train, and I = passing out and drifting past the sand bar where your buddy saw all of the hot chicks hanging out last week.

Try it with your favorite rivers. FITW gets a V at the highest flows that people run it at, more due to blunt trauma than flush drowning, a IV+ when the cup is almost totally submerged, and a IV at the levels that I usually run it at....

I've been pushing it for years, but if this latest round of discussing communication and risk does nothing else, I hope that it will clearly establish that the DTS is a concept that the boating community needs to embrace, and soon.

Edited by JayB - 18 Apr 2013 at 12:18am
-Jay
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 6:28am
Don't we have an insurance actuator in the boating community?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 9:11am
Jay, It's Banner Life insurance.  Here's a link for getting a quote.  Like the DTS rating system.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 9:42am
Christian of course the base their rates on more than just pay outs, but Payouts are what raise the flag pure and simple for further research. In the transportation world I can give tons of examples about how tons of accidents were occurring on specific HWY routes but until big payouts occurred the research was never indexed and then turned into variables for rate adjustments.

The balancing act of risk for profit is nothing new in businesses if not rudimentary. Just like your agent said, don't tell me, or promise me you will quit. He said that because he wants your account/money and doesn't think it will ever come back to bite him. And he is probably right. But I promise 100% that if he really thought the risk of a settlement subrogation would come back to him which in all cases does with adjusters, agents, and or sales people, then he would never accept the risk because he would know the risk was worse than the reward.

These agents and offices simple look to their past and use judgement until it bites them or someone they know or the business enough that a memo is sent out that scares people away from either ignoring policy or working around it.
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 10:28am
I signed up for Permanent Life Insurance. It costs a lot more than term but it has the benefit of basically being retirement savings that can be used as income tax free later in life.
This book basically details why this is the best way to save for retirement, since it basically exploits a tax loophole:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1425110827/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=18956529397&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=19411300532014076181&hvpone=10.62&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_30kzmhbfyz_b

All my agent cared about was whether I scuba dived. That means, given how much I kayak, life insurance is an extremely high value (not for me of course)
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 12:23pm
It's worth mentioning that there's already a real-world precedent for my ratings scheme.

"Jeff's Joy was named after Jeff, surprisingly enough, whose surname has eluded me for years. Jeff was a tyre-tuber of great repute who worked in the forest around Murupara. He accompanied one of the first trips down the river in the early 1970's. Apparently he tubed the top section and by the time he got to the final drop (now named after him) he was unconscious from the beating he took on the way. His mates duly revived him and he lived to tell the tale and have a rapid named after him. Good on ya mate"

http://rivers.org.nz/nz/bay-of-plenty/rangitaiki/jeffs-joy-run

The DTS. Its time has come.

Edited by JayB - 18 Apr 2013 at 12:23pm
-Jay
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 1:54pm
"Nah, you're cool.  It all goes"
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 3:41pm
This thread is awesome.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 5:45pm

These guys are totally messing up the calibration by wearing PFD's, having a BAL below 0.15, and not holding a Milwaukee's Best tall-boy in one hand, but I'm going to add it to this thread for reference purposes.
-Jay
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version