Professor Paddle: Anyone know what happened on the green Sunday? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Anyone know what happened on the green Sunday? Post Reply Post New Topic
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BRoss Replybullet Topic: Anyone know what happened on the green Sunday?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 12:53pm
We saw search and rescue at the bridge above kanasket while running shuttle to the fishing put in. They said someone "capsized" but didn't say what actually happened. Hoping this was a happy ending.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tkelley
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote tkelley Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 1:00pm
Sounds like a case of two folks getting in over their heads (no pun intended). One person was hospitalized.   

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/crews-rescue-2-kayakers-green-river/nXFkZ/

Edited by tkelley - 08 Apr 2013 at 2:28pm
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 1:10pm
It sounds like one boater (the one that is fine) was in over his head and maybe not even in a ww boat?

The other sounds more serious and judging by a picture of the boat in one news report was a ww kayaker (maybe running the upper gorge?)

Hoping for a fully and speedy recovery to her.

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 1:16pm
That report is untrue.  The woman's group and authorities had no part in getting the woman out of the water.  I'm unsure, but don't think any of the paddlers from the group reached the rescue point ever.

Three heroes (I'll let them name themselves since they're on here) may have saved that woman.  She swam the weir in the upper somehow and floated away from her group unconscious after possibly 10 minutes being recirculated.

A car driver yelled to a group of three heading into the gorge (they had no parking pass otherwise they wouldn't have even put in at that bridge!) and luckily they whistled to paddlers about to put in.  The woman's body was pushed to river right and CPR was administered for maybe 10 minutes before a sheriff arrived followed by paramedics.  The heroes who performed CPR never saw the woman breathing or with a pulse.

Hopefully the cold water will reduce the risk of brain damage but she is in a medically induced coma breathing on her own.

The report says her friends rescued her, that is not true.  Timing was very good for her, paddle safe folks.

The info I have was that the man was not form Kent but visiting from the East coast with a non paddling friend who somehow wound up above paradise in street clothes with a throwbag looking for his friend after watching him swim in Palmer somewhere.

The gorge is a lotta fun at 3K and even higher as long as you have the skillset to paddle them.  That interview makes the heroes look irresponsible for paddling the gorge.  It also doesn't mention them and I think that's pretty lame.

Edited by Travisimo - 08 Apr 2013 at 1:30pm
H2O please
tkelley
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote tkelley Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 1:18pm
Yep. The woman was a whitewater kayaker running the headworks section. Chris found her boat and pulled it out in the Kanaskat-Palmer above the gorge.
geomorph
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote geomorph Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 1:56pm

Just to cut out some of the speculation...

The woman was running the headworks section with a group (exact details unknown).  She recirculated in the weir below the railroad bridge and washed out. A local man pulled up at the bridge as my group was putting on, and he told us that there was a swimmer coming down river and that he was on the phone with 911. She was unconscious and my friends were able to get her to the right side of the river just below the bridge and we started CPR immediately. One of her party arrived very soon after we got her on shore.  We are deeply saddened to hear hear about her passing, and offer our sincerest condolences.

As far as I know, the incident with the man was in no way connected, except that they both occurred on the same river on the same day.  The man was apparently with a buddy who had loaned him kayak to run the river with.  According to the buddy (and the Sheriff), the man did not know how to kayak.  We ran into the buddy by the waterfall just above the paradise takeout.  The buddy said that he had last seen the man swimming with the kayak near Kanaskat-Palmer State Park.  The buddy said that had called 911 and had then driven down to where we saw him with a throw rope in case his buddy floated through the entire gorge. The buddy had no idea how far it was through the gorge or what kind of water the man might have encountered.  I told the buddy to go back to the park because the man was unlikely to survive floating that far and was likely to have gotten out in an eddy much farther upstream.  There was nothing he could to help a swimmer from where he was (he was wearing a normal street shirt).  Later, we heard on the news that the man had been picked up by the swiftwater team.   

Edited by geomorph - 08 Apr 2013 at 2:17pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tkelley
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote tkelley Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 2:28pm
A very sad day indeed. My comment was intended to be facetious. I apologize if it was taken the wrong way. That said I would take issue with the idea that 2750 "is by no one's definition the high end of runnable". Obviously people run the Green much higher on the occasions it has water but that doesn't mean this is not high for a novice paddler. Personally, I would not take a beginner on any section aside from the Yo-Yo at this flow. I will remove my previous comment to avoid further confusion.
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 5:40pm
the news of her passing is very sad, i had hopes all day at work that our rescue efforts had saved her .... as the one who pulled her lifeless body onto shore, i was realy surpizred to hear she was breathing on her own at the hospital and that got my hopes up .... if we had not by chance forgoten a discover pass, we would not have even been at the bridge and she may have washed much further down, it seemed like we where at the right place at the right time for some reason and we did all we could , as i hope any boater would do... i must say im very fortunate to have such solid freinds to paddle with and im very proud of there actions in this emergency that fell in our lap
as far as the media goes , they always get it wrong nothing new about that
and i have to agree with slick , 2750 is definatly not high water for the green (infact its a prime surf flow) ....i only go to the green if its 2500 or higher  and i have run it in a playboat up to 7500 ... the high flows are serious and for serious paddlers only, but it would be a real shame to lose our right to run them if we chose to

my heart goes out to freinds and family of the victim
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 6:50pm
Oh man, that is terrible news
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 5:09am
Geomorph & Bigwater:
Good on you for taking action and doing the best you could. I'm sorry about the outcome, and obviously I regret the greif that this person's family and freinds now have to suffer. Sorry you guys had to share in the tragedy, but glad you were noble enough and well trained enough to rise to the occassion.

And you are right, Chris: The Media ALWAYS butchers these stories. They spread mis information because they are too ignorant to arrive at the facts and report them. You cannot explain how magic works to muggles. That said, we all need to realize this when we interact with the media (I'd probably prefer to avoid it altogether, but its not an option once they are sticking cameras in your face.)

The questions lingering in my mind revolve around where this person's fellow paddlers were throughout this incident. If beginners are putting on Headworks at ANY flow they should be accompanied by COMPETANT paddlers who can look out for them. This is doubly true if flows are high. 2700 or so is NOT anywhere near the upper end of recommended flows, but it is all relative to who is paddling what and who they are paddling it with. Whoever these folks are who put on with the victom, I give them my condolences, too. Rough way to learn lessons from The River's rulebook.

I say all that understanding that I wasn't there. So I can't possibly know what went down. But what good is it to paddle with others if they don't or can't keep an eye out and act accordingly if something happens? sh*t, here I am about to admonish the second "victom" of that day for paddling solo, but, damn- if no one is paying attention or capable of coming to your rescue, you may as well go solo.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 6:13am
Sorry if my above post seems speculative. But, despite three different links to this story, there is no- absolutely no- information of substance, leaving only speculation. I mean, if I wasn't a paddler and I read those news reports there is no way I could know anything about what happened.

Now, the Kiro story actually wasn't that bad. But, come on- kayakers don't "fall" out of whitewater boats. Makes it sound like she was paddling a canoe.

The Komo story wasn't much worse, it only seemed like it was written by a 7th grader who wasn't interested in his or her homework assignment. But saying the second boater who got into trouble was "thrown into the water" just doesn't describe what happens out there.

But this Q-13 Fox report by TOM YAZWINSKI really takes the cake. It doesn't meet the standards of a 7th grade english assignment at all. I have a few problems with it, but the following quote sums it up:

"Emergency personal said a helmet, life-jacket and always kayak in a group."

Yo- Tom Yazwinski- you suck. There's a process called "proof reading" that I suggest you, um "investigate". Adding the word "wear" in front of the words "a helmet" might make that sentence intelligible. My other suggestion is that you lay off the spell check and try using an actual dictionary once in a while, Tom. Because "personal" isn't the correct word, and you used it twice, bitch. The correct spelling is personnel. As in, "persons employed in any work, enterprise, service, ect."

I go to the lengths to point this stuff out, not because Tom the 5th grade reporter might actually read it but to point out to you guys on this forum how illegitimate these reporters are when it comes to how they cover our sport, and river incidents.

Its lame enough that in an age where so many people type (write) to communicate, that so many of them are sloppy and inarticulate. But news reporters? They are proffessional writers. That is deplorable and inexcusable.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 9:25am
This reminds me that I should continue to stay trained for CPR.  While I have read that the survivability rates are low, just knowing that I at least have a shot to help if I can get CPR started quickly keeps me motivated.

I am saddened by all of this all the same.  Peace to the rescuers, friends, and family.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
kbelenky
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote kbelenky Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Scott_H

While I have read that the survivability rates are low ...

Minor nitpick, but an important one for kayakers to know about. You're only half right.

When you look at all cases where people were given CPR, survivability is pretty low. However, the rates go way up when you exclude people with heart attacks and major trauma and just look at drownings and electrocutions. In those cases, the victim often has a healthy, functioning circulatory system that needs a little help through a temporary disturbance.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version