Professor Paddle: journalist looking for boaters vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: journalist looking for boaters Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
TastyWaves
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TastyWaves Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 12:36pm
just keepin things classy, Phil! Give me a shout when you get back from CO let's paddle
Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by jP

Three Words:

STOP PROMOTING KAYAKING.

No. The climate here is enough of a put off for most people, yet there's plenty of room in the lesser rivers because there's so many badasses, they wouldn't stoop to the easier runs to notice how much room there is for people less concerned with running the sh!t and more concerend with getting outside and enjoying the natural environment of the PNW for it to be an issue. And besides, don't we want a more active populus to support recreational usage of the rivers aside from the fisherman lobby to promote public right to these resources?

Originally posted by jP

this place is Whitewater Paradise, its true. And plenty of people can tune into it if the sport truly calls out to them. But as far as outdoor recreation opportunities go, whitewater kayaking is still surprisingly under the radar. Personally, I'd like it to remain that way. I'd like to see as many people as possible tracking up all the powder at Steven's Pass and other ski areas. Those are decoy activites to keep people from the real goods: PNW whitewater.

To each their own opinion, but from a consumer standpoint, I'm sure the local businesses current (and possibly future) highly differ in opinion. I applaud their measures if, while making a buck, they do the activity justice.

Route 2 does't need any more afternoon traffic be it WW or snow sports related, and I'm differing in opinion than you when I'm stoked to see other people running shuttle on the runs I frequent here, especially when I know I don't know them. Makes me curious. Makes me wonder who I've missed out on padlin with.

As far as overcrowding at the stupid easy spots like Wenatchee Play run, well, I've stalled at TS on a number of occasions and when I timed and took advantage of peak groups as my break, I ended up with it all to myself a few times. Same with paradise except I didn't have to consider anyone else, because nobody was there when it was on anyway. There's room for more, and nobody is going to be creating traffic up a Robe if the community grows and promotes personal growth through technique, reading water, understanding mindset/headspace, and generally fosters responsibility.

Originally posted by jP

I know I'm in the minority w/ this viewpoint, but the rivers and creeks don't need any more traffic. River's got too many plastic shavings from people dragging their boats, seal launching, littering their half-assed outfitting (mini cel foam) all over after yardsales, ect.

Isn't the solution to better educate and promote responsible actions?

I've never seal launched in this state. If I knew of a good one, I probably would have. Or are you referring to getting in the boat all ready to go while high and dry and scooting down into the water? Seal launching as I've learned it is from a height, probably with a dry boof of some sorts. Whatever. Boats wear out due to this, and general running, and rock splats/wheels, desperation runs at low water, etc. And that's a good thing. Though I frown when I think of plastic in the environment, proven to be mistaken for food by wildlife, I give myself the perhaps mislead consolation that due to human created problems, we've had to artificially bolster the fish population for the fisherman lobby anyway, so, we're all living a lie.

Originally posted by jP

"The industry" is healthy enough to keep inovating, contrary to what others might argue.

in surfing, a board that suits a surfer in Humboldt, CA wouldn't be the right board for a similar break in, say, the SE USA. We have cold water year round, and pretty cool temps too, so our boats should have a slight volume increase to account for that. This is more noticeable in lower volume playboats where truth is there is a big difference even two gallons of displacement makes when you factor in full cold weather paddling gear vs a t-shirt and shorts.

It's not all about industry, either. It's about public usage and outcry for domain of these resources. In this area it seems to me like there is room to grow the support base. It's harder for the non boating public to wrap their heads around, comicated as they are, some of the more elegant aspects of river running (well executed eddy turns/peel outs, ferries, and dealing with holes, much less the combat roll), the relative visual simplicity of bombing the steeps on a snowboard is within grasp. It is movement over a generally static plane. Surfing has the advantage over WW due to being culturally engrained since before the 60s, but there's an appreciation in that lifestyle for big waves, heavy waves, performance, and style/grace. WW could stand some of that in the culture, and I'll admit I may be wrong.

I may have it wrong. In surfing, however, one needs no one else. No shuttle to be run, no support. Though it is far less friendly and more competitive due to the limited resource nature. This is where I see WW having an opportunity to grow. Surfing emphasizes fun, overall, and that means differnet things to different people, but the culture supports it all. I want WW to support it all, the act of simply enjoying what one is doing because that is what they want to do. Not to say those pushing the limits in vertical, big water, and play aren't, but it seems the culture is forgetting the base. I may be wrong. It seems there is not enough emphasis on, I don't know how to describe it. Not the mediocre or mundane, but maybe the basics and intermediate? That's not quite right either.

The paddling community and culture here is far different than in the East, north or south, and understandibly. But just because of the plethora of class V does it mean the lower grade runs are worthless. There's room for involvement and for more participation. Room to build the culture/community.

Originally posted by jP

I'd say if journalism is truly to serve this sport in a noble way (instead of a parasitic way), it would focus on educating the new comers to this sport (and veteran boaters alike) on how to exist on the river in a more concientious way in terms of how they impact the river, and how they interact with fellow paddlers and locals alike.

I have nothing but praise for what you said right there.
nnln.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:06am
My last two cents here, in reference to crowding on the Wenatchee, that happens maybe once a season. I can't even tell you how many times I have been at rodeo, trinity (RIP), turkey shoot, walking laps on snowblind, and grannies by myself, and have never seen another kayaker for three or more hours. And it was always at prime flows for each spot (not mediocre playboating by any means, btw.) Compared to the East coast, almost no one kayaks in the NW. Boating in WV is nice in a lot of regards because there is always someone to hang out and paddle with. Sometimes when boating solo on the Wenatchee I desperately wished there were some other folks out there to keep up the stoke. It would be great to see the NW become the model for boating culture given the high number of thoughtful and incredibly skillful boaters.
BurningDaylight
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote BurningDaylight Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:50pm
Cool to see someone talking about all that plastic....Right on jP!  Thanks
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version