Professor Paddle: journalist looking for boaters vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: journalist looking for boaters Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
dmatule
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dmatule Replybullet Topic: journalist looking for boaters
    Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 12:34pm
Hey guys,

I'm a a journalist at a Seattle magazine. I love kayaking but no one i work with knows anything about it. I'm pretty new to Seattle but it seems like there's some epic water around here. I know the big water season is right around the corner and I want to know who's hitting it. If you're a total badass, or you know someone who's is we should talk. I want to write about kayaking in Washington but I need to do it in a way that's exciting even to yuppies. LMK.
thanks.

Edited by dmatule - 13 Mar 2013 at 12:34pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 2:49pm
Two Words: Sam Grafton

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:42pm
Three Words:

STOP PROMOTING KAYAKING.

this place is Whitewater Paradise, its true. And plenty of people can tune into it if the sport truly calls out to them. But as far as outdoor recreation opportunities go, whitewater kayaking is still surprisingly under the radar. Personally, I'd like it to remain that way. I'd like to see as many people as possible tracking up all the powder at Steven's Pass and other ski areas. Those are decoy activites to keep people from the real goods: PNW whitewater.

I know I'm in the minority w/ this viewpoint, but the rivers and creeks don't need any more traffic. River's got too many plastic shavings from people dragging their boats, seal launching, littering their half-assed outfitting (mini cel foam) all over after yardsales, ect.

"The industry" is healthy enough to keep inovating, contrary to what others might argue.

I'd say if journalism is truly to serve this sport in a noble way (instead of a parasitic way), it would focus on educating the new comers to this sport (and veteran boaters alike) on how to exist on the river in a more concientious way in terms of how they impact the river, and how they interact with fellow paddlers and locals alike.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 4:09pm
haha decoy activities? more like complimentary activities! 

Dmatule-  JP would be an excellent choice for someone to interview. 

Despite his rather testy post above, he is a wealth of knowledge.  he inspires other boaters in a variety of different ways from frequent "safety meetings"  to river stewardship.... and he shreds the rio real hard.

so my recommendation:  2 letters:  J  P
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 6:49pm

JP is the Emmet Watson of whitewater.

Edited by JoesKayak - 13 Mar 2013 at 6:50pm
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:14pm
why exactly do you need a "badass" to interview? what do you mean by "badass?"
are people that are passionate about the sport excluded?
unpack your term "badass" for me and I might be able to help you out.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:11pm
I agree with what jP said: "I'd say if journalism is truly to serve this sport in a noble way (instead of a parasitic way), it would focus on educating the new comers to this sport (and veteran boaters alike) on how to exist on the river in a more concientious way in terms of how they impact the river, and how they interact with fellow paddlers and locals alike."
Sometimes the "bad-asses" on the river are the guys running safety.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:21pm
Hey, I PM'd you with some suggestions.  I guess I have to agree on the badass thing, most people who probably fit the general idea of that term won't think (or at least admit) that they are, and I think the core of the sport at all levels is the people who truly love whitewater, being on the river, and the thrill of the sport - which can require a lot of courage even in Class II and III.
JP, unless there is some fantastic twist of language that can make bouncing hips and head off of boulders in ice cold water and flinging snot all over the river while nearly suffocating in some stupid hole sound as appealing as sashaying across a warm ski lodge with a Faceplant in your hand, then I don't think we will have to worry about hordes of eager people descending on PNW rivers just yet. :)

Edited by irened - 13 Mar 2013 at 9:22pm
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 12:42am
JP I love you man, let's go hit the Ohane...

That said, I remember you posting something similar about keeping Yellowstone illegal to kayak because you snuck in and did it illegally.  You wanted to keep too many people from heading in there.  There was a petition to make it legal and I wanted to post a link, but alas it's over, I signed it!

I respectfully disagree with your point of view.  In order to keep access to my favorite places on earth I will try everything I can to get more people kayaking.  I know you have a vision of kayak lifts and crowded creeks but that's never going to happen in my opinion.  The word "yuppy" also got to you in that post...

As we all know kayakers are much different than skiers.  Don't you think there are natural filters that will keep the masses away from the creeks that we both love like Robe, McCoy, Ohane, Jefferson and the Cispus?  I Don't think they will be crowded... ever.  Even if there were, we would have a leg to stand on to keep runs open.  More voices mean more impact.  Plastic shavings and foam outfitting ruining rivers?  Really?  If groups spread themselves out I cannot imagine McCoy being too crowded to run...  I paddled the Green in North Carolina and it was "crowded" but totally doable, totally different vibe and people from hundreds of miles away were flocking to the only class V available!  It's warm there!  Even in the U.K. creeks aren't crowded and kayakers are literally everywhere.  Kayaking is a class in public schools, I saw kayaks on cars more than here!  I saw more female kayakers in Nottingham over a weekend there than I have in my life here.  Easy runs get crowded but it's a tiny island with no mountains/glaciers!  The season is short except for planned releases, which there are plenty of.  Kayaking is actually promoted.  (Sort of, but that gets into a whole other can of worms, again small island and fishing is weird there...)

Back to the topic started here:
"Badass" kayakers are not like the "badasses" in a lot of other sports, so asking for them is not likely to get a response.  JP is onto something in that respect. 

I really do love that WAboater responded by giving another paddlers name

WAboater: I know I'm not alone in thinking you are the exact person that the initial post was aimed at!  I'd love to see a story about your paddling, I won't say much in public but your profession, paddling skills and attitude about the sport is unlike I've seen in any of the other "extreme sports."

The one thing JP may be missing is that there is a natural filter in kayaking.  Water will humble anyone and plenty of folks trying to become "badass" boaters get turned away.  Maybe something to do with breathing and ice cold water?  There is no money in kayaking, which I think keeps it more pure.  The risk to reward ratio is completely internal.  I love that about paddling.

Sorry if I've given away too much...  All this said, the attitude on the east coast was a lot different than here.  I don't want that kind of attitude here but I honestly think that the cold keeps that from happening.  How else could this mecca be so void of paddlers?  I encourage anyone to give it a try, it's the most awesome thing I've ever experienced!

H2O please
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 8:51am
Fascinating input here. One thing about WA: learning to boat in WA is like learning to climb at Index, not a casual thing. The cold water and the paucity of glory halleluiah fully sunny days (on the westside anyway) keeps the crowds down. The attrition rate among new club boaters is something like 90%. Plus wearing a spray skirt make one look dorkish- no way to glam that up.

Isn't it telling that so little white water gear is sold at REI?
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Travisimo

Water will humble anyone and plenty of folks trying to become "badass" boaters get turned away.  Maybe something to do with breathing and ice cold water?  There is no money in kayaking, which I think keeps it more pure.  The risk to reward ratio is completely internal.  I love that about paddling.

I love this quote, that is spot on.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 12:14pm
I cast my vote in for jP. And I think that  is number four. Interview jP. He has my vote. 
dmatule
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote dmatule Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 12:49pm
I sympathize with your views and agree that the waterways everywhere are taking a beating but frankly, I don't think most people could stomach getting into a kayak. Most yuppies might go out a couple times but will give up after their first big swim. 
dmatule
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote dmatule Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 1:12pm

[/QUOTE]

Being a solid class V master in multiple disciplines is an achievement. 

You have to be a bit of an individualist in this spot.  Comfortable on your own. 
[/QUOTE]

I apologize for using "badass," I didn't realize that what I considered such a quick term would cause such a stir. That aside it seems like a lot of you knew the type of person I was referring to: someone that's very good at what they do. The above quote echos my feelings entirely and exemplifies the guys who clean up the river after when I go swimming. In this instance I'm interested in big water guys. Which to quell some of your fears, will probably scare most of our readers into staying out of the water.

Seriously though, i didn't expect this to turn into such a great discussion about the kayaking scene, or force me to consider my own double-standards for the river. Personally, i think kayaking is a phenomenal sport that can really enlighten people to how sacred our waterways are, the more the merrier. But as a Montana native and fly fisherman it drove me crazy to see out-of-staters on our waterways. I am a hypocrite getting more comfortable with the fact that it's everyone's water.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 1:36pm
Who cares about someone who is really good? Why is that so interesting to people? What about people that have a commitment to the sport in addition to other life roles? What about those that sacrifice everything for the sake of the sport of paddling and never promote themselves or what they are doing? For every pro kayaker who has an article written about them, there are ten more shredding just as hard in their own way, after or before going to a job, taking care of kids, etc.

The "check out how badass this guy is" mentality of kayaking media coverage in all forms is tired. How about getting an article out that articulates the magic of interacting with nature in your own way so that people can understand the beauty of the sport of kayaking. Maybe this will result in more kayaking, but I think articles like this would get people to think more about anything they do and whether or not that connects them to the world they live in.

Everyone deserves to feel these things in their own way. People just need to understand you have to earn it.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 5:00pm
@dmatule
I get what you are after now. you cleared it up just fine and it sounds like you have a pretty clear vision for what you want to write about. I'm looking forward to reading it. let us know how your project goes and definitely post when it is complete.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 5:01pm
by-the-way, what magazine or publication is it for?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 6:06pm
Tell me it's not the for the Ads in the back of the Stranger... I know quite a few boaters that could fit in with those pages .... 
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 8:21pm
Seriously though - I think Sam Grafton would be an excellent guy to interview. He is a part-time medic/firefighter/river resuce guy who lives in Index - the heart of Washington's whitewater. Paddling is only one part of his life, as he dedicates the majority of his time to studying. He definately qualifies the 'badass' category - paddling the hardest whitewater in the state on a regular basis. His friend Rob would be very interesting, however, you would probably have a hard time with that and regret interviewing him in the end. It would be a lot of work.

Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 8:24pm
Why is "badass" limited to danger? Why isn't ripping the river to shreds in a playboat, displaying pwnership of chosen craft and ability to continuously turn the downriver travel into an atheletic display of expression not something to be elevated?

Isn't the "badass" perspective of only focusing on the gnar what killed the whitewater market a number of years ago, causing Perception and Necky to withdraw?

Isn't the lack of focus on playboating, which teaches loads of boat control and emphasizes having fun on the river what this sport needs in order to broaden the base, help reduce costs by growing the demand and increasing competition for the consumer dollar? All of that while slowing down people jumping the gun on getting in over their heads before the hard stuff is somewhere they should really be?

Side note: I'm all about freedom to do what you want, but when people overstep their bounds, they put others at risk when rescues are performed. I draw that from the surfing camp as well.

The humbling of whitewater is escaped by many because they take the easy way down easier whitewater, running a rapid without trying moves just to make them. Then they declare: that's too easy, I want harder. Make the easy hard, just to gain awareness, then attempt the next step.

As an example, Boulder Drop can be made fairly easy (well past beginner, for sure), but in no way does that mean that just because someone makes it down a few times should they try more complicated runs. Own it, then look for growth.

Anyway, previous stupidity edited out, I still feel that while stories that show the extreme are fun, there's way more to it than that. But modern culture doesn't care.

Edited by Mr.Grinch - 22 Mar 2013 at 6:35pm
nnln.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 10:25pm
After the last entry...  I don't know Sam well, but I do think WAboater has a point.

This thread was about writing an article.  No pictures/stories/articles about boulder drop are going to look as good in print as this:
http://vimeo.com/53755060

H2O please
TastyWaves
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote TastyWaves Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 1:12pm
If you're looking for an interesting pitch from multiple angles, how about this:

1 - Interview Sam Grafton. If you're doing a write-up on kayaking in Washington state, and you didn't talk to Sam, then you lost.

2 - A handful of guys just got back from South America. They didn't get paid to go on this trip, it wasn't sponsored, they went to have an unbelievable experience, and judging by the photos they all came back changed men (and with fiesty mustaches). Talk to Scott Weidlich (Fish on PP).

3 - Talk to Darren Albright and Ben Hawthorne. These guys are very driven in another aspect of boating that many like me are totally unfamiliar with, the downriver race. Not only are they two of the most solid boaters you'll find anywhere in the world, but they do it while being fathers and full time employees as well. I think your readers would be stoked to see the kind of glory that can be achieved even if you aren't paid to be pro athelete (WA Boater and Fiddleyak on PP).

4 - Talk to Jeremy Bisson. This guy is living the dream (technically in the state of WA). He's living on riverfront property that Oil Magnates would start foreign wars over. And I think he might possibly be crushing the sickest boofs you'll see. He paddles the little white 4-5 times per week, and cooks a wicked egg scramble for his weekend visitors. (Not sure if he's on PP)

5 - Talk to Dan Patrinellis a.k.a. the Greek Llama. This guy is a character. He hasn't been paddling class 5 as long as some of the all stars around here but you wouldn't know it, he's out there getting it done wth the best of em'. What's cool about Dan is that he's taking the time to document a lot of what's happening on the scene, and putting together some high quality films at the amateur level. (don't take the Llama reference seriously, its not that kind of flm..) (Tiziak on PP)

For me, an article about any outdoor sport that trys to put it into singular focus is less interesting. To each his own. For instance, that Grinch guy got some negative props for his post on playboating, for obvious reasons, but for a lot of people his comments may have been spot-on. If its fun and what you like, who's to say you aren't a sicko?

The biggest thing I've learned from my brief time in WA is that there are a ton of characters out here. They've all got their own story, but we all share one thing: we know that when we're on the river, heading downstream, its game on. At that point, nothing else matters. Except safety meetings and drinking your booty beer, those are pretty important.

Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 1:46pm
That is a good point about how putting a sport into a singular focus makes it less interesting, I had not thought about that but I agree.  I just wanted to add that I'm with Darren and think Rob would be a super interesting person to talk to, he was one of the boys and girls I suggested in my PM to journalist. Granted, interviewing him would be like interviewing a wild camel and I don't know if the Seattle Met readership is quite ready for him, but I don't think you can have a real article about PNW paddling without Rob.  Not that you can't have a good one with the other people mentioned in this thread, we are surrounded by stellar boaters who fortunately are also fun to boat with.  Have to love the PNW!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 4:14pm
Dmatule : My suggestion is to give up writing and stick to driving the bus... do you have any idea how many paddlers can fit into a bus, plus imagine if you welded a full length roof rack on the top, you could take everyone on epic road trips... The only thing is that if everyone packed a fly rod you might want to make sure you have alot of spare tires because I am sure you would be getting them slashed all the time... Dang Locals!
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2013 at 4:49pm
TastyWaves just delivered a national magazine cover story grade pitch.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version