Professor Paddle: Owyhee River Beta vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Owyhee River Beta Post Reply Post New Topic
tkelley
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tkelley Replybullet Topic: Owyhee River Beta
    Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 9:52am
Planning on a trip down the lower Owyhee in a few weeks. We are aware of the unpredictable flows and weather in late March but, since we have a week off, as long as there are boatable flows we are going.

A few questions:
What is a good shuttle service to use?

Is there a good river guide for this section or are the BLM PDFs sufficient?

Which take-out is preferable? Sound like Leslie Gulch Requires a long flat water paddle whereas Birch Creek has a iffy road.

Anything else worth knowing?

Thanks,
Tim
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 10:10am
try to get a hold of Will Day. he has done the entire run top to bottom (in a canoe nonetheless).

wday
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote wday Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 11:30am
sorry can't help with shuttle info as ive always used friends & family for rides. the BLM pdf's are pretty good, that's what i always use for that region, they change some stuff in the most recent pdf's on the upr sections but i think the maps of the lower are unchanged. Birch is preffered by most but some are forced to leslie if birch is no good. Smart to make plan A,B,C...for any trip out there but well worth the effort. Enjoy!
SusanB
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote SusanB Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 11:36pm
:) Loved canoeing the Owyhee self support.  If it is the last week of March let me know if you want company.  
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
PanchosPigTaxi
Paddler
Paddler

Quote PanchosPigTaxi Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:56am
I'd like to hear how it goes, I am wanting to make a trip on the Owyhee the second or third week of April.
shap
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote shap Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:24am
there is lots to know about, but you don't need to know a lot to get on the lower owyhee. I have driven my 2x tacoma out of Brich Creek several times but not when wet. I have driven my 2x tacoma out of 3 forks when wet like a bat out of hell surfing through mud bogs. I have driven into pipeline in a 4x without chains when wet and it took over 10 hours to go 40 miles.

People "paddle" out to Leslie Gulch (but only once!) with that being said, if you take out a Birch, still drive down to Leslie Gulch and camp on the way home, it is an amazing place.

Always order the "dinner" at the Old Basque Inn in Jordan Valley.

I have used Eva Matteri to do shuttles on the lowr many times with no issue. Camping at the BLM putin is fairly undesirable but there is water and a toilet.

Rome station has ice and beer and good grill food fair

Start in the morning from putin, not in the afternoon (wind)

If it gets real windy, wait till latter

BLM Maps
http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/prog/recreation/what_do_you_want_to/rivers/owyhee_river.html

Left at Lowr Artillery
Whistling bird is the obvious hard left ferry
Montgomery far left to hard right or far left to slot between boulders/domers
Nuicance rapid is kind of a beotch at flows below about 1200 and a real beotch say in the 900 cfs or less range in larger boats like a 14'raft (quick right then left ferry around huge boulder on right tryig to avoid pins) or the left slots contending with smaller sticky boulders
Many "paddle" out to Leslie Gulch (but only once!)
Don't foreget an Oregon invasive species sticker if you are from out of state.
If you are from WA, don't forget we didn't pass the new law and certain substances are still illegal, and there are the ocasional plain closed fuzz floating the lower owyhee some how justifying spending our increasingly diminishing publics funds to write tickets for minor offenses.
Go on a cross country hike just about anywhere you aren't cliffed out and find something cool.

Spend at least 4 nights on the river for boating and hiking enjoyment.

this is a pretty cool book:
http://owyheemedia.com/about-the-book.html

About the only other rule other than the standard fire pan/groover rules, is no collecting firewod on the lower Owyhee, not that there is much wood anyway.

Make sure to have a sturdy tent and tie up boats well, even kayaks on the bank, the wind can be fierce.

if the wind gets real stout, find a camp and wait till latter.

When I used to live in western WA, I still went the I-5 to PDX, through sandy and over mt hood to Prineville, down GeoMillican road to highway to Burns then south to Rome, instead of going down I-84 down through Marsing. Also if you go through burns you can stop by the alvord desert area (east side of steens mountains) and take an extra day or two and hit up the Alvord hot springs and visit the attractions in the Alvord.

The owyhee sucks, I hate taking trips there :)

Edited by shap - 12 Mar 2013 at 8:38am
tkelley
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote tkelley Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 10:24am
Thanks for all the info. Might have to make alternate plans seeing as we are looking to launch on Sunday and the flow is in the mid-600s. Anyone done this run at very low flows? The AW site says 750 minimum while PP says 1000. Sounds like its is very doable in kayaks at these flows but we have one 12ft raft in the group.

Edited by tkelley - 12 Mar 2013 at 10:24am
peteg
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote peteg Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 11:56am
I know some commercial groups do it at 500cfs with big gear boats and somehow make it downriver. Not saying it's optimal, just possible I guess. If you keep your gear boat lite and are mentally prepared for low water it's still a great camping and hiking trip. Fabulous scenery!

pete
shap
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote shap Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 12:10pm
I have rowed my fully loaded aire SDP down there near 600 cfs. I would defenitly take a 12' not over loaded down to 500 cfs for sure. There will be some bump and grind at 500 cfs no doubt.

This is the lowest verifiable fully loaded 14' raft trip I know of on the lower owyhee, which was at about 400 cfs, there webiste indicated lower, but after talking with Dave and finding out the exact dates. the trip was between about 450 and 400 cfs.

http://vimeo.com/10787895

Edited by shap - 12 Mar 2013 at 12:13pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version