Professor Paddle: nw creek race series vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Topic: nw creek race series Post Reply Post New Topic
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rokmnky Replybullet Topic: nw creek race series
    Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 11:36am
Any idea if there's going to be a NW creek race series this year? If not then is there interest in having a series?

While planning for the ball, we've been talking about doing an event at the cooper as well. With those races, the robe and EF Lewis, we could have a series. Maybe even throw in some endurance runs like sky?

Thoughts?

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 11:49am
I think a Cooper Race would be amazing addition and would also yield a great turnout.

A race series that included the Sky, Cooper, FITW, Robe, and Lower Icicle Creek(PP Ball) would be a fantastic local series.

The NW Creeking Competition has already been announced and they are doing Canyon Creek and EF Lewis again this year.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 12:01pm
Who usually organizes the robe race? Who would be down to help run some races? They wouldn't be as involved as the ball. Just show up on the day and race, run timing and a short awards after (maybe at a local pub).

Does anyone have access to gates that we could use through boulder drop? Just an idea I had.

I'll get in touch with the guys at endless adventure and see if they are down for being involved.

I imagined an overall points series. Maybe cash entry split among the winners with a purse from each race held for the overall winners. Something low key this year to see if it works before we start begging for lots of gear.
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 12:04pm
Also, ideas on timing for the different rivers? Sky runs all the time, icicle is during the ball, otherwise prime time to schedule a 2-3 week block for flows to hit. When do you think the best time is for cooper, fitw and robe?

Also any other rivers?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by rokmnky

Does anyone have access to gates that we could use through boulder drop?

My thought is that the river corridor is so wide that it would be REALLY hard to string gates in B.D. I could be wrong.

What could be done is you could place markers on top of the boulders to mark a slalom course.

It could be a cool idea, if executed right.
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 4:32pm
They string gates on the clackamass, should be doable on bd. Still just thinking of how to make a race on the ski worthy of a creek series
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 6:20pm
Probably need a come along to get the tension needed...

Or a better Idea, fricken lazer beams...
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:44am
Adam, instead of the Ske, how about the Top Tye? Also, Todd Gillman has historically organized the veryinformal Robe Race. You might want to contact him about that and Heather Herbeck knows something about the west coast race series. I think there is a movement in the works to add these races into the national points mix.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:19am
You could probably string gates at various points in bd without going fully across the river, but I think it would also be possible to set markers in a way to make a course. BD seems like one of the best rapids around for such a course. As far as the robe race, Chris Tretwold would be the person to contact, I don't think Todd is as involved in the race these days. That said, I feel like it is important to keep the integrity of the robe race intact as well as all the associated traditions. One of few grass roots races around these days without a bunch of hype. Also unique in the nature of the course itself: long, many hard rapids, 20+ minute times.
deanej
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote deanej Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:52pm
Hey Guys,

Just to give you a heads up the UW Kayak Club and OAC are bringing back Sky Fest and possibly doing a Top Tye race (if levels corporate) July 4th-7th. Also there are going to be a series of small events leading up to it. Check it out: skyfest.org

We are working right now to get some gates back up at llama ledges!
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 6:02pm
Top Tye in July?

Whats the sky usually at in July?

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 6:31pm
dan-
late june would be a better bet for sure. especially this year with the way the snow pack is shaping up. i would image tye would have good levels mid june, low @ the end of june & runnable but real low come july.
but, you just never know. maybe the spring will be cold, maybe we get more snow. stevens is at 93% snow water equivalent as of today.
christian put together a tye race last year. first one in a long time. attendance was low though.

septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 7:39pm
Darren, I think that was the same day Cooperfest NW spontaneously went down last year.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:39pm
Wasn't Cooper Fest towards the end of July? I'm just having a hard time believing that there would be enough water in Tye at the end of July. Was attendance low becuase it was high or people just didn't want to race?

Daniel Patrinellis
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:11pm
July 22 was the tye race. sky was 4400 dropping to 4000 that day. don't remember it being to high. probably level with tree.
cooperfest sounds fun

ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:15am
The level on the Tye, that day, was medium, if I remember right. Paranoia still had some punch, but it was pretty manageable. Times ranged from high seven minutes (Darren) to the low eight minutes (me).
We raced two laps. And I soloed a third lap from Monkey Cage down. I figured, eventually, I'll run into another kayaker. But, alas, you were all on the Cooper, which sounded like a lot of fun. (Wish somebody had said something!).
Last year, you might recall was enlongated by a long, cold spring and an above normal snowpack.
My rule of thumb for the Tye is by the end of June, it's dropped to a medium level (Sky between 4,500 and 6,500 cfs). After that, it begins its tragic decline to irrelevence. Mid-July typically offers predictably low-water runs. Things get a little scrapey, but it would still be a wonderful venue for a race.
The Tye from Box Drop down is one of the best venues for a creek race. It's relatively safe. Access is simple: Two roads parallel both sides of the river. The take-out has a sizeable parking area. Spectators can easily hike in to any of the rapids. The start-gate (Box Drop) is awesome. And for those that prefer short races, it lasts less than 10 minutes.
Catch your eddies,
Christian
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 6:08pm
Good points. I think this would be an awesome day on the water.

Another podium for most laps...

Daniel Patrinellis
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:19pm
The Tyerd Challenge is something a few of us have been talking about for years now. Get four or five of us, a few shuttle vehicles and run as many laps possible. Alternate shuttle duties so everyone can get intermittent rests. We figure the day to do it would be June 22, Solstice Day, longest day of the year.
Catch your eddies,
Christian
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version