Professor Paddle: kayakn post ACL surgery? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: kayakn post ACL surgery? Post Reply Post New Topic
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Topic: kayakn post ACL surgery?
    Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 3:39pm
How long after ACL reconstruction can I return to ww paddling without risking injuring the graft?

I tore my ACL and a little miniscules just over 2 months ago, and i am going in for the surgery in the next couple weeks.

i have been kayaking since the injury without an ACL, and it left me limping afterwards, but it didnt really hurt too bad while boating. 

the recovery is
different for everyone, but just wondering if anyone has some knowledge to shred, i mean shed.

it seems like you produce a significant amount of sideways force on the knees by pushing up against the bulk head in the boat.

Edited by not-very-clever - 12 Feb 2013 at 3:40pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JayN
Paddler
Paddler

Quote JayN Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 6:45pm
Depends... The biggest hurdle is regaining your strength and range of motion... and it can be slow and totally prohibitive... That said, the closer you get to feeling comfortable in your boat on dry land, the stronger the graft will inevitably be... your biggest concern is going to be putins and takeouts... stay away from the green if you're recovering from a knee injury..

I am not a doctor and I am a notoriously bad patient, so take my advice with a rock of salt, but depending on how you PT, you could probably be back in 4 months
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
cmellon
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cmellon Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:02am
Having been through this myself I can tell you what I have and do experience. I tore my ACL only no meniscus damage and I went for the hamstring rather than the cadaver option. My surgeon highly preferred using my own body parts rather than introducing foreign body parts but it does require more reconditioning as you're pulling from one part to help the other. I was boating very soon after the surgery but probably not the smartest thing, luckily I had good friends willing to help at log jam portages. As mentioned above uneven terrain is most likely your biggest danger but if you go the hamstring route you may find rolling very painful. It wasn't until the surgery that I truly realized how much of your body is utilized. I almost swam on flat water trying my roll because the pain in my hamstring was so intense. It felt like I tore the muscle but it subsided quickly. Get good PT and hammer the hamstrings if you go that route. It's supposedly a harder and longer recovery but you don't run the risk of rejection from a frozen, thawed and processed body part. I'm no doctor and can only speak to my own experience. My surgeon also typically prefers to wait until he put patients in a brace as it can be used as a crutch but I insisted by letting him know that although I am far from extreme I am active and wanted a brace immediately. Obviously no good in the boat but I use it working, biking and skiing and once on I barely know it's there. Hell at 42 I may get one for the other knee just as a preventative measure. Years of skiing is catching up.

As many will tell you take it easy well beyond when you think it feels good, another 3 months of recovery is better than a second injury. My doc told me 9 month to a year for full recovery.

Also talk to your doc about blood clots from the surgery, they're more common than you may think and not very fun.

I also got a cryongenic cooler ( i think that's what they're called) Basically a small ice cooler attached to a cuff that wraps the knee. Makes icing the knee convenient and at a constant temp rather than the old ice bag/towel that goes from too cold to warm and is wet and messy.

Good luck, it's a quick and relatively painless surgery as long as you follow their prescription directions exactly while drinking lots of prune juice! The latter part will become self evident.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 7:26am
I haven't had an ACL surgery, but I did have a serious tibial plateau fracture after getting hit by a car on my bike. It also resulted in a torn meniscus which was, according to the surgeon "an afterthought" in the procedure compared to what needed to be fixed. I was in the hospital for six days and on crutches for three months and three weeks. I was kayaking two weeks after I got off of crutches, but only on the Sky and I had to have Dufay carry my boat to and from the water for me. Two months later I was back on Robe with no issues, riding bikes on the road and mountain over 150 miles a week, and generally back to normal. I think I had such a fast return to high function because I worked really hard from the moment I came out of surgery. I listened to everything the pt and doc said. I made it a goal to be off of narcotic pain medication within two weeks of surgery, and then no pain medication two weeks after. I went to the gym and worked out on the arm bike and whatever weight machines I could do without putting weight on my leg. I went open water swimming and just didn't kick. I made sure I ate really well and supplemented with vitamin d and calcium. When I started walking and using my leg/knee again, I diligently followed the pt instructions at the gym and at home, and I iced CONSTANTLY. I iced at home, at work, on the way home from the gym, etc. I remember stopping randomly all the time to buy bags of ice so I could immediately get ice on it after some kind of workout. I pretty much focused only, and very intensely, on my leg/knee and getting it back as fast as possible. It wasn't fun, and I relied a lot on my girlfriend and friends to make it all possible. But both my doctor and pt said they had never seen anyone come back that fast from the injury I had.

I know an ACL is a completely different injury, but I am pretty sure you will be walking pretty quickly which means you will be able to do pt pretty much immediately. Focus intently on your pt and ask A TON of questions. Don't assume you are getting all the information you need to know. Make sure you tell your PT exactly what your goals are. Beyond that, make sure your PT knows what whitewater kayaking entails and what kind of whitewater kayaking you intend on doing. Obviously, you shouldn't be running anything where a swim is a risk until you have some legitimate stability in the knee. But, my PT assumed I was talking about a calm float until I explained exactly what kind of kayaking I engaged in. Then, a different timeline came out from him regarding when I could get back into class V.

In terms of physical therapists, I highly recommend Dave Leffman at Pioneer Sports and Physical Therapy. I know he is on sabbatical right now, but he may be returning soon. Otherwise, I would contact his office for a referral. Dave is very sports oriented and will get you back to whatever you want to do as soon as possible. Another good pt I worked with is Emily Eggers, but I think she might be in Bellingham now.

Final word: if you dont bike now, get a bike and ride it for recovery. Biking is the best way to rehab a knee, hands down.

Good luck, I feel your pain.
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 9:25am
I'm in the same boat as you. Tore my acl 6 weeks ago skiing. I borrowed a brace from a friend that had surgery last year and I've been back up snowboarding every weekend since. I haven't tried skiing since the injury and probably wont. I've been grueling over the details on where to go from here. Picking out a surgeon and a physical therapist. (any recommendations or comments welcome.

When are you planning on having surgery? Are you going to wait until after spring runoff? I'm shooting for march/april so that I can start skiing again sooner. I'm planning on loosing most of my spring/summer to recovery but honestly, the wife is excited that I'll be moving more her pace for a while.
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 9:43am
I live in tacoma. I have been seeing an awesome physical therapist by the name of Amy Moe with Olympic sports and spine. she has been very supportive of me trying to avoid the surgery and go without an ACL, but now after 12 weeks, i have had zero progression in the past month.  if anything i have regressed.  i havent had any dislocations of the knee since the injury day, but i have had a lot of painful "movement" down there, and i am still fcking limping at 12 weeks. fck.
I am going with Doc Jiganti for the surgery with Franciscan health.

i have been skinning/skiing since the injury, and that was not a good idea.  it regressed the recovery a lot.
there will be some days where i am walking perfectly normal and i think to myself, "hell time to push myself a little bit" and then boom some weird movement and i am back to limping for days. 

i have talked with a few people who are ACL deficient, and they are doing fine.  i have also talked with people who have tried to go without to decided over a year later that they really need the ACL to have a high activity level.

all professional athletes, get the surgery and return to sport and a higher level then before. (that's my plan)
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 7:09pm
Oops, I revised my original post a few times and forgot the initial meaning.....

Post surgery will depend on your physical condition before surgery, and your therapy afterwards.

My ACL reconstruction was many years after injury, so my knee was only recovering from surgery (vs surgery and injury, ACL takes a long time for recovery and is always unstable until correction attempts).

I recommend the quad graft, too.

Time wise is dependent, but I was surfing after surgery within two months. My personal situation wasn't quite the norm, though.

Oh, yeah, I didn't even start surfing until six months after my initial injury-and abut five years before my surgery. Everyone is different.....

It also helped that I learned how to pop my knee back in place when it slipped out.

Edited by Mr.Grinch - 13 Feb 2013 at 7:22pm
nnln.
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 7:35am
ouch! I havent had my knee pop out of place yet but I have had a few instances of light hyper-extension that hurt like hell. Man I hope I dont have to deal with dislocations.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version