Professor Paddle: PP Ball and River Fest vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: PP Ball and River Fest Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tiziak Replybullet Topic: PP Ball and River Fest
    Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 3:22pm
I was out of town for the season so I was unable to partake in either event last year.

Did any of the PP'ers head to River Fest last year?

If so; what was your impression? Was there a large turnout? What did you like about it and what did you detest?

Cheers!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 8:38pm
Bueller...?

Bueller...?

Bueller...?

Daniel Patrinellis
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 6:30am
The river fest was pretty cool this year. I wasnt around for any of the kayak events because of the PP events, but I did race in the raft downriver race (we won!). The pp rodeo didn't really happen, except unofficially at turkey shoot. It would be cool to just have two events, the icicle race and a rodeo next year, and maybe figure out a way to tie that in with the wenatchee river fest.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 10:02am
It was hard to really guide attendance at river fest because it's at the take out of the play run, so by taking out your by default in attendance.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:56am
yep, that was all I know from the wenatchee river fest... that they had the silent auction going on at the take out.  otherwise i was at the PP site or paddling.

so are we having a ball this year? and will the dates coordinate with the Wenatchee River Fest or be on different weekends?
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 1:31pm
There was discussion of doing it the same weekend since they have the prime date. Thought was that we could organize around their schedule and let them host the rodeo while we do the creek race and evening activities since they dont really have any organized camping. It's been pretty slow going though.
Lynn Wang
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Lynn Wang Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 2:47pm

One part of the WRF Planning Committee here.

WRF is scheduled for Sat, June 8th. The website is a *work in progress*, the events description page will be uploaded very soon (see tentative schedule below). Good gollies, how do I make the font smaller (this is why updating the website is taking so long). If anyone wants info or to try to coordinate events, contact me at:  wenatchee@washingtonkayakclub.org or call me at two hundrend and six, seven hundred and ninty nine beers on the wall, four thousand and eighty three partridges in a pear tree. I have never organized a festival nor a wedding party, so this is very new to me...

Keep checking the website http://wrf.washingtonkayakclub.org  for updates, there are other things being added, e.g. a family oriented  raft for family members who don't kayak.

Tentative Schedule:   

Time Event
9:00 AM Registration
9:30 AM Yoga
11:00 AM Clinics
  SUP Clinic sponsored by Leavenworth Mountain Sports
  Playboat Clinic instructed by Jean Luc Robichaux
  Downriver Clinic sponsored and instructed by Wet Planet
3:00 PM Rodeo 
3:00 PM SUP Race sponsored by Leavenworth Mountain Sports
  Rescue Clinic sponsored by Wave Trek
  Downriver Race Sponsored by WKC
4:00 PM Raft Race sponsored by Riverbooty.com
4:30 PM Rescue Demo sponsored by Wave Trek
5:00 PM Flip -N- Rescue sponsored by Riverbooty.com
5:30 PM Dutch Oven Cook-off Judging
  Silent Auction
  BBQ Potluck
  Awards Ceremony
  Live Music

All Day Events

Crossfit Challenges sponsored by Crossfit Cashmere
Throw Rope Toss sponsored by Riverbooty

Edited by Lynn Wang - 12 Feb 2013 at 2:48pm
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 9:47am
Thanks for the update Lynn!

We should combine forces this year with WRF on some of these events, while maintaining PP traditions of the Creek Race and weekend party as Adam pointed out. This would increase participation in all events.

Planning, implementation, and securing volunteers can be difficult as we've found out, and working together on a community festival while maintaining our own traditions would be the best direction this year in my opinion.    

What are everyones thoughts?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 2:31pm
This is the same weekend as the WKC Riverfest right?

http://wrf.washingtonkayakclub.org/

rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:20pm
yeah mok, its the same fest.
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:23pm
Anyone interested in helping out with the ball this year, send me a message. It's about time we got together and figured things out. I've been talking with Dan and Gordon a little and I think this whole using the same weekend and working with riverfest could work in our lazy favor this year.
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Fish

Thanks for the update Lynn!

We should combine forces this year with WRF on some of these events, while maintaining PP traditions of the Creek Race and weekend party as Adam pointed out. This would increase participation in all events.

Planning, implementation, and securing volunteers can be difficult as we've found out, and working together on a community festival while maintaining our own traditions would be the best direction this year in my opinion.    

Excellent idea!
nnln.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 7:45pm
On another note:

There was also the idea of moving the PP ball to another weekend and another river. Maybe the Cooper? To get more participation.

Thoughts?

Daniel Patrinellis
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 8:13pm
Doah...gawd I'm an idiot. Well it would sure be great, based on my teeny weeny micro amount of experience if at least the *party action* and general hoo-hah would over-lap more. I was at the WKC gig with band in Cashmere last year and it could have used a bit more good old fashioned "git down" if you smell what I'm cooking. Buncha guys standing around with beers in their hands talking shop and the overall vibe is that it needs some kind of critical mass to achieve party lift off. I dunno. 
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 8:25pm
The Ball has never needed extra energy to achieve critical mass. It puts it's pants on just like everyone else; all three legs at the same time.

Daniel Patrinellis
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by tiziak

On another note:

There was also the idea of moving the PP ball to another weekend and another river. Maybe the Cooper? To get more participation.

Thoughts?

I'm a huge fan of keeping the PP ball in Cashmere. How about a Cooper party/race later in the summer?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 8:01am
Cooper fest is something to think about. It was super fun having everyone out there that weekend last season. With more hype it could be really cool. There could be a prize for most laps in a day. A race. Etc. That is the perfect run for a non-team race.
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 9:33am
At the Puntledge Festival on Van Island we had one of the best live shows at a festival I've seen. It was the highlight of the weekend. The guy's name is Shayne Philips. He describes himself as Afro-beat / Folk / Roots Music. A one man show where he plays the drums, various instruments and didgerydoo for extra beats.
He was really good at setting up the sound. You could hear the show anywhere in the campground, which was bigger than the PP Ball spot. He was interested in kayaking, they actually paid Shayne for the show with a new playboat. I emailed him after the festival and he said that he would consider coming out for the PP Ball.
Anyway, just putting this out there. Personally I would be willing to throw in 10-20$ extra for an awesome live show. I think that would make the PP Ball the undisputed night spot to be and might bring in some more paddlers that normally wouldn't have made it over. It means extra work for the volunteers, though, thanks for all you guys do!

http://www.myspace.com/shanephilip

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 9:33am
Originally posted by rokmnky

There was discussion of doing it the same weekend since they have the prime date. Thought was that we could organize around their schedule and let them host the rodeo while we do the creek race and evening activities since they dont really have any organized camping. It's been pretty slow going though.

Spot On.

Originally posted by Fish

Yup. Pretty Much

The Ball has never needed extra energy to achieve critical mass. It puts it's pants on just like everyone else; all three legs at the same time.

(Or, takes them off, depending on what point in the evening it is)

Originally posted by fiddleyak

At the Puntledge Festival...one of the best live shows at a festival I've seen... highlight of the weekend... Shayne Philips. He describes himself as Afro-beat / Folk / Roots Music.... You could hear the show anywhere in the campground, which was bigger than the PP Ball... Personally I would be willing to throw in 10-20$ extra for an awesome live show. I think that would make the PP Ball the undisputed night spot to be and might bring in some more paddlers that normally wouldn't have made it over. It means extra work for the volunteers, though, thanks for all you guys do!

http://www.myspace.com/shanephilip

that sounds rad, Ben
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 9:53am
As Far as a CooperFest goes, its a cool idea. Not sure how much "hype" it needs tho. Racing is cool when peeps wanna do it. Don't understand why there needs to be so much sponser driven stuff all the time. Its the people that count. And the river.

The more an "official event" rears its head, the more "official" it then needs to be. Soon you need permits, insurance, approval from forest service, ect. Otherwise some SimpleGreen Scented Driftwood Baby Huey gonna show up and sabotage your sh*t behind your back like some sorta corporate espionage wannabe muhfah.

What's that you say? I'm not making sense? Well, then, consider yourself lucky for not knowing your history, I guess. Personally though, I believe knowledge is power. BEWARE THE INTERLOPER!

This sport needs to back off of the hype and return to its romantic under-the-radar roots. It has plenty of quality participants. No need to attract more. That being said, the Wenatchee Riverfest is an appropiate venue for hype, auctions, raffles, and all that.

But, I'm with Flavor Flav on this one: DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 10:21am

Bueller...?

Bueller...?

Bueller...?

Don't get him involved- he'll just take the day off...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Sam_Graftton
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Sam_Graftton Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 9:45pm
What dates are we looking at?
rokmnky
McNasty
McNasty

Quote rokmnky Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:27am
We are going to do June 8-9th, everyone, put it on your calander. I'll try and keep updates coming as we get them.
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:58am
Originally posted by jP

Otherwise some SimpleGreen Scented Driftwood Baby Huey gonna show up and sabotage your sh*t behind your back like some sorta corporate espionage wannabe muhfah.

Hehehe, gotta agree with you there JP
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:43am
will there be a ramp this year?
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version