Professor Paddle: Map Idea vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: Map Idea Post Reply Post New Topic
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Topic: Map Idea
    Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 3:22pm
I have an idea for a tool that I think would be helpful.

I would love to see a map with all the rivers having a little pin.  I know we have coordinates for most of the put ins and take outs on the river list, so I wonder how hard this would be?  It would be really cool if the pins were color coordinated with river level (green/blue/yellow).

it would be nice to zoom in to an area, such as the OP, or Leavenworth for example, and see where all of the rivers are located. Oh, you're going to run wenatchee, here's everything nearby. 

It would just be nice to have a visual.  ESPECIALLY when you're new to the area.  OR if you're visiting an area that is new to you.  Not nearly so useful once you know what's around... but if you don't... it can be tough to figure out what is nearby without posting or asking others.

How feasible is this James?

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 5:42pm
Great Idea,

Here is what we have so far.

And if you go down the rivers page you will see mapplet Icons for rivers that have the features tagged and mapped.

Example for Robe:

Unfortunately because the Maps API keeps changing fewer and fewer browsers work with it and I am no longer developing for stuff like this, just too keep this bag of bones floating.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 11:49am
Hey Jen. You are so smart! That sounds like a great idea! :)
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 4:26pm

If you pull up maps.google.com, and get "Directions" (from anywhere, to anywhere, like if you are going on a trip out-of-state) . . .
And then, if you put (into the google-search-bar)
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/xx/.kml but replacee the xx with the two-character abbreviation for any state along your route, when you click the search-button (or press "Enter"), your travel route stays onscreen, AND the rivers (as listed on AW) will be indicated with colored dots, color-coded for runnable flows (where gauges exist, anyway). And, you can click on a dot, then click on a link to go to the river description.

Want to check out another state along your route? Change the two-character abbreviation to another state, click the button (or press "Enter"), and VOILA! you get the next state's rivers (and your route is still visible)! If you see a river some distance off your route, click+drag+drop on the route-line and Google will reroute to your desired detour (to the river). Doing this will cause the AW river-dots to disappear, but the url will still be in the Google-search bar, so you can click the search button again to show them.

Try it out!

Dave
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 5:49pm
well that sounds really cool!! 

but all i get is a link to the fugitt?

so i say... fugitt....

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 6:54pm
Weird, that Google maps thing worked well not that long ago.  This one still works.
http://whitewatermap.com/
Dave
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version