Professor Paddle: January Grand Canyon??? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: January Grand Canyon??? Post Reply Post New Topic
nckayakgrrl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nckayakgrrl Replybullet Topic: January Grand Canyon???
    Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 1:16pm
I just got a permit for the grand this coming January. If anyone has any advice on outfitters to rent rafts from let me know. Right now i'm planning on using Canyon RIO, but if you know of someone you like more let me know. Also, I may have slots to fill. So if you've got the itch pm me and we can talk. Cheers!
Angie
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
nckayakgrrl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote nckayakgrrl Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 1:19pm
also, if anyone has Chris Enos' number pass it on. I've lost it (again.)
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 2:24pm
Cieba is awesome! working with the staff was a pleasure and their gear and menus were top notch.
Cieba did not miss a single thing, and i felt like if they had, they probably would have helicoptered in that extra camp chair or whatever.

all of those outfitters are really good at what they do though! have fun, winter is a pretty cool time to be down there

Edited by not-very-clever - 23 Oct 2012 at 2:28pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 3:02pm
Agreed, go with Cieba !!!
nckayakgrrl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote nckayakgrrl Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 3:27pm
are the prices comparable across the board? Also, i have some vegetarian and gluten free folks on my trip, any experience with either of those?
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 7:14pm
Use Monkoepi. Brady has a tremendous reputation and he will go above and beyond for you. He mailed me the massive cooler from my 18ft rental when other companies said no.

Edit; spelled it wrong. Heres the link http://www.moenkopiriverworks.com/

Edited by SPerillo - 23 Oct 2012 at 8:03pm
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 8:16pm
Canyon REO rocks. I'll PM ya enos' number.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:43am
What sorta cost per person does the average trip cost? I have no idea I've never looked into it.

Edited by n8r78 - 24 Oct 2012 at 8:43am
Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 11:50am
Figure roughly $1500 per person for a 16 to 18 day trip, not including getting to Flagstaff. That would be using an outfitter such as the ones listed (also note PRO, another top notch outfitter) for boats, gear, food and shuttles from/to Flagstaff.

Although it appears that the outfitters vary in their pricing it's been my experience that the ones with the lower prices have more add-ons in the end, bringing the prices in line with the more expensive ones when it's all said and done.

Note: $1500 does not include your liquor. Although beer is great down there (and everywhere for that matter) it's kind of cold in January so you might think more along the lines of wine or whisky for the evenings.

Edited by Kyle K - 24 Oct 2012 at 11:52am
"I used to be somebody, now I'm somebody else." Bad Blake                  
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 11:51am
Sounds like a bargain for a trip that long.
Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 11:53am
Absolutely! I just got off a 24 day trip the other day and it was only $1500 each. Amazing.
Nanook
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Nanook Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 12:33pm
Another recommend for CIEBA. We only needed a couple of camp items and sat phone, etc.. but they were spot on and a pleasure to work with. Helped us out immensely with storing the kayak and gear of a boater who had to be helivaced.

Just for the sake of comparison, a 21-day 12 person trip with personal boats (3 rafts, 2 dories, 2 kayaks) and personal kitchen gear cost $600/person. A A 24-day 8 person trip in winter was $800/person.   Again that is with mostly personal boats and gear.

Have a blast!
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 4:06pm
Cieba was decent for us. They sent us out with a half dead sat phone and were a little rough on one of the vehicles. The driver also threw his sunflower seeds all over the floor of my friends truck. His truck wasn't in mint condition,but come on...

You'll save a lot of cash if you do meals yourself(split amongst group) but this isn't for everyone. Saves lots of space in the boat too,cause they'll load you down. Better to be safe than sorry,obviously.
nckayakgrrl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote nckayakgrrl Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 11:03am
I think we're going to plan our own meals after all. Turns out half the group is vegetarian, one is vegan, and one is Celiac (gluten free). I'm just going to leave food up to everyone on their own. 

I would also like to provide the rafts, that being said... I can get boats, but my Subaru just won't do for the drive... so if you want to go in a paddle raft and could help get rafts down there, I may have a spot for you.

Right now I'm leaning toward two paddle rafts and a gear boat. (if there a way to get my kayak down there i would rather be in my own boat, duh) trip looks like it will shape up to be 10-12 people max. keeping it small due to raft availability. i may end up renting rafts yet, depending on the condition the boats are in when i unroll them.  both are 14' is that too small?

thanks for all of your suggestions! everyone has been super helful!

honestly, i am very intimidated organizing a trip like this for the first time and its been a huge help!

Cheers!
Angie
geomorph
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote geomorph Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 1:35pm
FYI...I think Enos is on the canyon right now, but he should be back in town soon.  I did the canyon this spring and we used Canyon REO for everything and it was excellent; and they do offer vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free options. I got my kayak from them as well.

Regarding rafts, I have a 14' Sotar with a frame and paddle raft setup, but after having done the canyon I don't think I'd ever bother taking it.  We saw boats of all shapes and sizes, so you can get anything down the river in just about anything.  Smaller rafts are more likely to flip in some of the rapids, but 18' rafts can flip too (we had two flips with loaded 18' boats, one in Upset and the other in 209 mile rapid). What I loved was arriving at the takeout, throwing the gear on a trailer, and saying goodbye to all of it (including the sh*tters).  For me, that was damn near priceless.

Last thing... depending on how long you intend to take, you might want more than one gear boat.  We did 18 days and for that length of time, I think you'd probably need a minimum of one gear boat per paddle raft. 

Have fun.... it's awesome trip!

Kyle K
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Kyle K Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 2:24pm
Hi Angie,

My two cents: If you have a 16 person trip, 3 boats is nowhere near enough carrying capacity. 5 18'ers is much better. You will need almost all of one boat just for the groovers. Another for all the kitchen stuff, etc. Speaking from years of experience, rent everything and have someone else do the food buying and packing.

The idea of a GC trip is to spend your time hiking, floating, dreaming and just enjoying the place. The river, as good as it is, is almost secondary. the less time you spend hassling with gear and packing (and cleaning up after the trip as noted above) the more time you have to enjoy the place.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Kyle K

You will need almost all of one boat just for the groovers.

Stay upwind of that boat...
nckayakgrrl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote nckayakgrrl Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 9:58am
right now i only have 5 people that "are for sure" going. looks like it will be a 10-12 person trip. I have Wednesday off (yay! first day off since i got my permit!) and will be callin Rio then. again, thanks for all the feedback! i'm figuring it all out as i go along and you all have been most helpful.
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 8:22pm
Being the trip leader is a lot of work.

I'm gonna repeat a couple words of advice:

1. Do the whole shebang thing with one of the outfitters. If you have never done this trip you will have a crazy hard time organizing everything to be compliant with the very strict national park service rangers. I have planned multi week long trips before but still I wouldn't do it for a canyon trip.

2. 14 foot paddle boat is probably gonna flip multiple times and swimming and dealing in January isnt gonna always be fun.

3. Get money from your people early, like 2 months early. People are always "in" until 1100$ is due. Also collect a little more in the beginning for damage and gear lose insurance. It's easier to give money back in the end rather than request money for loses and damages after the fun.

Just call ceiba or any of the other outfitters and they will relieve all stress and then all you have to do is herd the cats and money.

Oh also gather some good boatman who have been down the canyon before and will show you the lines and help with river logistics. Having some solid boatman shouldn't be overlooked. The whitewater is big and humbles even the best boatman or boat woman. If you have a couple veterans willing to take the lead and show lines then a couple strong headed and willing rookies can learn. But oh sh*t there are some huge rapids

Kayaking the big rapids is sweet but there's a lot of flat water in to wind and the boatman will welcome the help rowing for sure!

Edited by not-very-clever - 30 Oct 2012 at 8:52pm
nckayakgrrl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote nckayakgrrl Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 4:22pm
Okay, so after taking not-very-clever's advice i started asking for $500 at the 2 month mark, and guess what? I've got three open spaces! If anyone would like to go on the trip and can afford to go (i'm not a sugar mama) let me know. Experienced boatmen (or women!) would be grrreat! PM if you're interested.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version