Professor Paddle: IK's vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: IK's Post Reply Post New Topic
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote olyyakker Replybullet Topic: IK's
    Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:40am
Looking to buy an IK, probably an Aire Force and would appreciate any input from the group. I've been in a hard shell for 15 years, but my back seems much happier when I can change positions easier. Couple ?'s. Is the Force self bailing( it says it has a drain plug). It sounds like there is not much room for gear, which is fine as I'll likely use it mainly for day trips. Can you actually surf and roll the thing? How easy is it to transport it inflated on a rack without inflating/deflating? I have a 197 bent shaft werner paddle. Is this long enough or would I need to buy a longer paddle? Does anyone know if someplace Demo's the thing? Be nice to try it out before I pluck down $1500. Thanks in advance. I know there a bunch of you our there.

Mark
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 2:48pm

Thanks for the input. I guess my question is if you were going to buy on IK would the Force be it?

olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 3:29pm
thats one IK
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 8:08pm
Sold on the Force. Thanks again for all your info. May end up with a fleet of IK's. I didn't really know there were that many out there. A Buddy of mine has a 2 person avon which he styles on class 3 solo and he is a newbie. He goes solo but he is a big 6'6''. There were not many made but I'm going to try and rally him for some self supports. Which IK do you think is best for that? We should paddle sometime.

Mark
ChrisW
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ChrisW Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 9:39pm
Ski to Sea; Rivers Rock!     Old-Man's Stopped Rolling, now just rides on his Red Rubber Ducky!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
otterend
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote otterend Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 4:07am
I have the new model Aire Force, as well as the older Aire Force XL.  I also have started paddling a hardshell recently.  IKs and hardshells each have different performance qualities.  For me, it's not a one-way progression to the hardshell and don't look back at the IK.
The Force is an excellent boat, very well made, and tough.  The Aire Force is stable and responsive, carves fairly well (but not llike a hardshell), and is an all-around fun boat.  Comfortable fit, with bulkheads that inflate so that you can customize the fit, and thighstraps that make a secure connection.   The thighstraps connect to the top of the tube vs. the floor, which is a technical improvement over most other IKs, allowing for better responsiveness (e.g., it's much easier to sidesurf and thread through a boulder garden because you can lift the tubes easier).  I can paddle the Force all day, whereas I need to stop and stretch after a couple of hours in my hardshell.  The Force is about 9.5 feet long, so it's shorter and lighter (~32 pounds) than a typical IK.  The inflatable bulkheads keep the water from pooling in the boat and increase its boyancy, both of which are important in technical sections, such as Boulder Drop on the Sky or in bigger water conditions.  There is essentially no room for cargo.  The Force surfs pretty well, though not as well as a hardshell.  The length of the boat makes for a good surf on a broader wave, like Rodeo Hole (and the wide standing waves above Rodeo Hole) on the Wenatchee, rather than a steep, short wave like Turkey Shoot.  The Force has a rockered hull with a fairly short waterline compared with most IKs, which makes it turn easily but it's not as fast as the XL, but still good with speed.  It boofs well.  Self-drains quickly.  I cannot roll it.  The boat does not have the symmetrical shape of a hardshell, so it's hard to overcome the tubes.  But I can typically self-rescue in 5-10 seconds after going in. I use a 203 cm paddle.  All IKs are a wet ride, I think.  I usually wear a drysuit, unless it's a scorcher and the water's warm (e.g. July on the Rogue).  Send me a private message back if you'd like to paddle the Force sometime.
Chris
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jon!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jon! Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:24pm
I would recomend the Aire Lynx as well.
shap
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote shap Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:25am
I also got to recommend the Lynx, if all you are ever going to do is day creeking runs then the Force is good, but if you ever want to do some overnight but also have an IK that preforms pretty dam well on IV+ technical, then go Lynx, it is a pretty damn good all around IK.
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 11:40am
Thanks everyone.
PanchosPigTaxi
Paddler
Paddler

Quote PanchosPigTaxi Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 10:13am
Brian (and anybody else),
I saw your post awhile back on the yahoo idaho whitewater group about an Aire Tomcat delaminating, so I assume you owned one. I'm posting this for a friend who I boat with.

-He wants a tandem IK for class III stuff, the occasional Lochsa trip, and flatwater with his wife.
-His price range is $500 (so that takes out the Lynx)

He found a 1 year old Aire Tomcat and wants to get it. I think it's the best IK he can get for his price range.

Any thoughts? Thanks     
PanchosPigTaxi
Paddler
Paddler

Quote PanchosPigTaxi Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 8:57pm
Thanks,

Joe
greg w
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote greg w Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 9:45am
9 ft sotar with a foam floor is a great option.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version