Professor Paddle: Tieton 9/29 (possibly 9/28 too) Discussion Thread vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: Tieton 9/29 (possibly 9/28 too) Discussion Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
Tieton 9/29 (possibly 9/28 too) (Trip Quick View)
Find out more details by Viewing the Trip Page
Tieton  (1. Rimrock Reservoir to Windy Point Camp)   Class III+   Min 750 cfs    |    Max 3000 cfs   Current 283 cfs (Reported on 11-AUG-2015 08:40:)
Trip Leader : fredwithanf
Contact # : fredwithanf@gmail.com
Meeting Time : 9/29/2012 9:00:00 AM
Meeting Place : Takeout
Paddlers Paddling
WhiteWater
fredwithanf
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fredwithanf Replybullet Topic: Tieton 9/29 (possibly 9/28 too) Discussion Thread
    Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 2:57pm

This is the Tieton 9/29 (possibly 9/28 too) discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the Tieton 9/29 (possibly 9/28 too) | Trip Page

Howdy folks, just wondering if anyone would like to head out to the Tieton this weekend. I'm planning on heading out on Friday and camping out, then meeting up with a couple of friends on Saturday morning to run the river. I've never run the Tieton, so if anyone has any good info to pass along including nice campsites (primitive/secluded ideally), I'd greatly appreciate it. If anyone is able to go on Friday, I'd probably be up for a run in the afternoon depending on how long it takes. Thanks! fred

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
keithmasill81
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote keithmasill81 Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 6:08pm
We camped in the Tieton Rd. area. The first road to the right has camping spots all along it. Not particularly secluded if there are a lot of people, but primitive and free (with your Northwest Forest Pass). There might still be a burn ban in effect. 
otterend
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote otterend Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:38am
I'm interested in paddling on Saturday, and maybe on Friday.
A few considerations.  For whatever reason, the CFS guage on the PP site is not reading current flow.  The flow right now is not 2300 CFS.  The release is being reduced by the BLM.  Here is a link that shows current flow:

At the time I am writing this, the  flow is ~1800 CFS, which remains a good level.  I ran it last year at 1200 cfs, which was ok.

The most significant aspect of the Tieton is its continuous flow, at least when it is running at 1900 or above.  There are few eddies and they are small.  So, if you swim, plan on a challenge to gather your gear and to get to a place to empty your boat.  The shore often is covered with overgrowth.

The dam is not too challenging, but is potentially dangerous.  Past the two dam warning signs, the channel braids into three entrances above the dam.  You need to take the far right side.  (The middle channel has a low footbridge that can't be seen from above.)  Then you need to move left as you come around the corner to the  top of the dam.  Run the dam on the left, certainly left of center.  The right side of the dam looks sticky, steep, shallow and bad.

Waffle wall -- below the village of Rimrock -- is the most challenging feature.  It's not too bad, but after the initial drop and its lateral wave, the current pushes you right toward the wall, followed by two small pour-overs that can be sticky.  Waffle wall can be scouted from river left.

More generally, there are visible strainers here and there, formed by wood extending from the shore toward 1/4 channel.

There is a good takeout on the south side of HWY 12, west of Windy Point Campground, east of Rimrock, at the bridge below a rock canyon.  You need a Discover Pass to use the lot.

At this time in September, I suspect the high usage has waned, with camping sites available in the dispersed areas off Tieton Road (left 1/4 mile west of the Hawse (sp) Creek campground, west of Willows Campground).

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 10:18am
As far as camping goes if you want secluded drive up Tieton Resevoir rd (there are two turns, if your coming from Whitepass it's the second turn east of rimrock lake below the dam a mile or so) The first right is NF-580 (It's not labeled), if you go all the way to the end there is a site that is right on the river and most people don't drive up that far, the sports closest to Tieton Reservoir Rd, are going to be packed and not as quality.

Basically anywhere up and down Tieton Reservoir rd will have quality free camping it just all depends on how hard your willing to look.

In addition to prior comments, one consideration is the braided channels, there are a couple of channels that are a no go, but for the most part if you follow the main flow you should be all good. I ran it last weekend with a friend and we did lot's of exploring in the smaller channels and didn't run into any terminal hazards, but that doesn't mean they don't exists.

Also, the wood moves around quite a bit. Jp had a very scary tangle with a piece of wood at the pyramid boof below waffle wall that hadn't been there the day before, so be aware.

Also, there are a surprising amount of quality boofs on the run, at 2250 Jp and I were crushing boofs all over the run so don't scared to crank on a lefty if your into that sort of thing.

Have fun.

PS: if your into hiking with your kayaks from the end of the 580 road you can hike about a 1/4 mile to the bottom of the dam and get an extra long rapid in, and if you put in at the eddy in the pool that has the outflow there is a unique paddling experience to be had there. It's pretty rowdy and isn't like paddling in the river, more like ocean waves in the way they move, but if you don't want the rowdy action you can easily put in down stream.

Hope this helps, sorry for the long winded response
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
jerryclayross
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jerryclayross Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 11:27am
a couple of us from UPS will be heading there this weekend as well it looks like.  Some coming on Friday afternoon (probably too late to do a run) and some on Saturday.  Hope to see ya on the river.

-Clay
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
fredwithanf
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote fredwithanf Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 12:43pm
Thanks for all the info on both the river and the camping. I have yet to finalize when my friends will be coming from Seattle, so I'm not sure exactly when we'll be getting on the river. I'll be paddling a red Superfun. If you see me, feel free to come introduce yourself!

Fred
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version