Professor Paddle: Tieton Releases? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Tieton Releases? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kevinh Replybullet Topic: Tieton Releases?
    Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:28am
So what's the deal with the Tieton? I keep hearing that it releases in September but I can't find any info on release dates. Anybody know if they are for sure releasing this year?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:27pm
they will be releasing, I'm not sure on the date. you could try calling one of the raft companies that runs that river and ask they will definitely know. 1-800-RAFT-FUN.

While we're on the topic. Anyone know about some waterfalls in that area? Someone told be of a double set that is downstream of the commercial run, part of some man-made feature that diverts water or something. Rumor? Misinformation? Exaggeration? Anything?
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:29pm
Just went on Alpine adventures website and they said Aug31st- sept23rd they will be out there running it. But I'm pretty sure that the run runs longer than the 23rd.
978-273-7723
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:50pm
does anyone have any beta on the lower II-III section?

i'm wondering how suitable it is for a beginner that is just getting started in class III.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 2:38pm
http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/yakima/yakstats.html

This is the river page that is linked from this site. They generally talk about what's going on with the levels. I'd bet you can call them and get more info.

I'd be a bit surprised if the lower section is very beginner friendly if you're taking someone who might be swimming. From what I remember just looking at the river last year it's still pretty continuously swift water.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 3:12pm
Yeah, it's pretty continuous, and wood is still likely. How much of a beginner are they?
978-273-7723
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 3:34pm
no roll, even in flatwater.  styled big eddy on her second river day, a natural.  i'd take her through easy class III but swims are possible... well... likely.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 3:49pm
Well you could always opt for the IK trip, it's not kayaking but it will help with water reading, paddle stroke, boat angle, etc.. Plus if she swims she can work on her recovery. Good luck.
978-273-7723
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:10pm
Why rush it? Stick with stuff that you're familiar with and will be easy recovery when she swims.
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:22pm
not really trying to rush it.  there's just a lack of water and i don't know anything about this run.  i wouldn't hesitate to take her down some easier class III.  but places with easy recovery, and it doesn't sound like this is the place.

if anyone has suggestions for other rivers that will be in over the next few weeks fitting that description, let me know.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:24pm
You can still scrape your way down the Wenatchee at these levels. I'd wager the sky is your best bet once the rain starts picking back up again.
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 4:32pm
You can call the Bureau of Reclamation (nice folks), and they'll tell you the plan for flows.

I chatted with Quenton this morning, and he said that flows would be 800 -1200 this weekend, and then ratcheting up over the next few weekends.

Jed - Folks may be talking about the double weir downstream right after the confluence with the Naches.  Not good.  Watched a car tire recirc in there for 3 weeks.  Only other waterfall running would be a little tributary off of Hwy 12 a few miles east of Naches.  It's right next to a diversion facility.  It's on the north side of the hwy in a rock grotto.  Looked at it once, and it didn't look deep enough.  But desperate times lead to first d's.
rutrow
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote rutrow Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 8:58am
The lower teiton is a pretty good run from windy point to Tims pond.  Several class II and one easy  class III drop.  Several islands with fair amount of stainers.  Not a place to be swimming.  It takes more river reading skill and boat control then most class II runs becouse of the stainers
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:56am
With the Tieton releasing the Naches below the confluence may be worth looking at for a beginner.  I haven't run it before, but it may be worth a look.  There are reportedly three diversion structures that would be likely portages for a beginner.

I'll be camped out at Waffle Wall from the 12th to the 18th.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 10:45am
Thanks for the heads up JD_G
978-273-7723
keithmasill81
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote keithmasill81 Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:07pm
Anybody have solid info on camping options near the river? I am interested in heading over next weekend 09/7-09/09. Do you need to bring two cars? or is shuttle fairly easy to hitch? Anybody else thinking of heading over? Thanks for the info.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 8:23am
there is tons of free camping all over the place, river right is a good place to start looking. I can't remember the name of the road but if your coming from white pass it's the first road that crosses the river once you get below Rimrock dam. There will be a bunch of raft companies posting up back there, some of the nicer sports are further up stream close to the dam.
978-273-7723
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 8:31am
Yeah, I wouldn't really peg any part of the Tieton as " beginner freindly" because it is shallow, swiftwater, full of brush, ect.

If you aren't in a hurry to teach your friend, I would consider the Wenatchee. Even just a flat water stretch: people are really glossing over basic paddling skills. Boats don't paddle in straight lines. Deep, slow moving water is the most swimmer friendly, and rescuer friendly too.

If I was lookin for waterfalls round the Tieton I'd be looking upstream towards mt. Rainier.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 8:32am
(Bit too late for the Skykomish)
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:00am
don't worry JP, we are working on that forward stroke!  but for sure we need to practice eddy turns and peel outs and ferries way more than we have been...

so the wenatchee is at 900... are there any features to be surfed or played on at that level?  i'm kinda curious to just see what the river looks like at that level... when you can see rocks!!
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:40am
No features that can be surfed/played on at that level. I think at the really low level rock and roll down to rodeo is actually the better run. I would say that there is a fair amount of rock negotiation in that section and going upside down would be a pretty unpleasant experience.

I would suggest going from Cashmere down to Monitor at this level. I've been running this section with my wife who is in an IK and just getting comfortable on the water. It has a few little rapids and it's pretty fun, but it'd be pretty hard to actually go upside down because the water is so slow.
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:57am
well now i'm just curious to see what the river looks like. 
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 11:30am
Originally posted by jP

Yeah, I wouldn't really peg any part of the Tieton as " beginner freindly" because it is shallow, swiftwater, full of brush, ect.

If you aren't in a hurry to teach your friend, I would consider the Wenatchee. Even just a flat water stretch: people are really glossing over basic paddling skills. Boats don't paddle in straight lines. Deep, slow moving water is the most swimmer friendly, and rescuer friendly too.

If I was lookin for waterfalls round the Tieton I'd be looking upstream towards mt. Rainier.

Yeah, I agree with JP here.

In fact, in my opinion the lower (easier) section of the Tieton is just as, if not more hazardous than the upper. The rapids are easier, sure...BUT the channel is twistier, narrower and there tends to be more logs and snags. The water is shallow and eddies are few.

On the other hand, there are runs on the Naches above the Tieton confluence that may be more beginner friendly during the flip flop. Also during the flip flop (not a lot of people know this) the Bumping River also is releasing water as well. Not as much as the Tieton, but often enough to bring the Naches up to (barely) runnable levels. You would still scrape on the Naches but would be on a pool-drop river rather than a fast brushy flush. Just food for thought. Often the Bumping realease isn't enough to bring the Naches up to ELF levels, but sometimes it it. Check the gauge, you'd want the Naches at Cliffdell gauge to be at least 500 cfs and definitely do a visual check.

And I don't recommend running the Bumping river itself for beginners. Easy rapids but tons tons of wood.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:58am
The river page for the Tieton doesn't seem to work. Yesterday's update mentioned that flows would be near 2000 CFS this coming weekend. I'm probably going to shoot for hitting it up this Saturday.
otterend
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote otterend Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 11:24am
1100 cfs discharged from Rimrock Reservoir on Sunday.  Volumes rising.

http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/yakima/yakstats.html

http://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/graphrt.pl?rim_q

Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version