Professor Paddle: Upper Upper Cispus Carnage... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper Upper Cispus Carnage... Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Online Status: Offline
  Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 4:08pm
Darren, I was in my boat, holding onto the rope for about 10 minutes before I was even spotted in the cave, from above. It didnt feel dire, but there was at least 10-12 knots of current flowing/boiling upstream that would've been impossible for me to get beyond to paddle out of there.

It took another 10 minutes for the group to rig a line with a 'biner on the end and get it down to me. My grip was pretty weak by then, making it very difficult to stay upright, hold the 'dangling line', balance my paddle, and clip the rescue line on my PFD's rescue belt so I could be hauled out. The rescue line, I discovered after I was out, was anchored to a 3-man rock that had broken free from the wall many moons ago and was perched somewhat precariously close to the lip. As I was hauled up and out I got closer and closer to the veil with nothing to hold onto to stabilize myself to stay free of getting caught by the downward flow of the falls. The rock was very smooth and slick.

Had I come in contact with the falls directly there was a very real chance I, and the others helping me (as we were all statically tied together at this point) would be pulled off our respective perches into the river, tied together. Most certainly that 'anchor' rock would've come down on us as well. I asked a couple of other guys to move a bit further downstream to drop me a 'control line' to help me stay out of the veil. They were able to use the control line to also help pull me up. Everyone else ran the drop without problems.

When I ran it, I flipped immediately at the bottom of Behemoth, rolled instantly, but was on the boil, facing/going into the cave. I thought for a brief instant, as I was back-paddling on the boil, of trying to swing 'er around and paddle like hell to get out. The very real likelihood of flipping and getting violently worked over in there while no one knew where I was.. kept me from doing this as well as spotting the rope in there that was already dangling down. I knew I could hold on until I was found. I knew there were enough experienced guys (who were all out of their boats scouting) up there to pull me out... or something??

The flow last year was a 'healthy' 660 late in the season with last year's snowpack being much like this year's; i.e. it's all coming from the tiptop and I felt the river had more water in it proportionally than what the gauge reflected in other years. I could be wrong in this assumption as it was the only time I had done the run, but seems like a reasonable assumption. The river had plenty of water and the hole in the rapid above Behemoth felt juicy.

I agree with Darren that the line is pretty doable and that all this banter about the cave may make people feel more timid about running Behemoth, causing potential increased carnage which isn't necessary. The line isn't that hard to make. MANY more people avoid the cave than go in it. I didn't scout either. Got some quick beta from the guy who went first, had seen many pictures previously, and rallied right after he did. I wanted to get it over with :) In hind sight, and certainly after my ordeal, I would/will scout it from now on, just to be sure. Much rather deal with the hole on the bottom right in the runout, than the cave. I will also make sure a line is dangling in there (even if I have to leave mine) and that a guy is in a good spot downstream to throw a rope. It's a great place to set safety. No reason not to.

Darren, it didn't look like I could paddle behind the veil to the river right side either. It looked pretty terminal back there. I'll have to dig up the helmet cam footage..

peteg, I agree that setting safety is becoming a dying art. I'd like to see that change as well. Cavalier attitudes are becoming more prevalent and I see less folks signing up for rescue courses or even thinking of/talking about a preplan. One of the things I really took note of and enjoyed reading in the oregon kayaking posts was the strategic safety that was set at so many of the drops that were run. Great stuff.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 4:49pm
peteg - i have no idea how mike got down to where he did. it is severely cliffed out. if he had slipped, he would have fallen into the water where i was at. most likely hitting some rocks on the way down.
it is not practical to get into that position for safety right now. the person setting safety has more chance of slipping and ending up behind the falls than just running the falls. once someone is back there (ie me - after 10 min) the risk seemed worth while to try and get down there. i had no expectation and didn't think it was possible/practical for mike to get where he did.
slickhorn - never heard of someone intentionally portaging behemoth. have seen a few guys loose boats over the years in the rapid above and have to throw and go from the lip (minus the throw).

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 5:02pm
After I was hauled out and my boat was in the swirling pool at the base, I walked/scrambled/ whimpered my way downstream along that STEEP river left wall clinging to whatever vegetation was there. It was NOT easy at all and took 15-20 minutes to get below the falls. I think I was below the bottom hole/above the last rapid. I did it, but it sure wasn't fun. It would've taken hours with a boat. I've heard it's possible to hike out above the class IV drop above Behemoth, but that THAT option isn't very easy either. Getting back in below Behemoth would be very difficult from either side.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 5:28pm
I know of two behemoth portages from that ledge.  I haven't seen it and looked before to see how I'd do it... Wow, it must be a monumental task.  I saw a throw and go from the top on my first trip down, boat kicked into the water.  That shelf is slick!

Funny how many stories we share.  That being said, I'm serious about trying to set some kind of anchor back there.  Takers this weekend?

Brett: on our first trip we scouted behemoth, it was hard to even get a glimpse of 1/2 of the falls.  Walking around on that side would be epic...  Loose vegetation so steep that it slides away crawling on it.  Trusting your life to plants is not fun!

Edited by Travisimo - 30 Aug 2012 at 5:31pm
H2O please
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 6:42pm
I portaged it ten years ago.

A friend went behind the falls. He was the second to go. I quickly scrambled from the ledge out the wall to a tree from which I could see him behind the veil. I threw him a rope and wrapped it around the tree, then also secured myself to the tree. Unfortunately, he decided to clip the end of the rope onto his kayak before he got out of the boat and attempted to climb up to me. The water sucking into the cave and under the wall caught the boat and pulled the rope out of his hands. He swam clawing and scraping under the wall, cycled under the veil, and came out circulating in the eddy on river right. He was able to get on shore on one of the cycles.

I decided at that point to check out the portage options. I went back to the ledge and scrambled about 20-30 feet up a gully. From there I was able to hop from tree to tree along the steep, scrabbley slope about 50-60 feet above the river until I reached a point that I could climb down.

The first paddler joined me scrambling back up to the ledge. We still had our swimming friend's boat tied off to the tree. We were able to connect three throw ropes linked end-to-end to the boat and then pull the boat until it cycled behind the falls and up the eddy to where our buddy was waiting. It kinda looked like we were working a huge fly rod together as we pulled on the ropes, and this process took maybe 30-40 minutes. Once the boat reached the guy in the eddy, he pulled out his breakdown and ran the bottom ledge.

Then the three of us who were on the ledge hauled my boat and Andria's with us up the gully and then passed them from tree to tree. It was slow going, but the portage certainly didn't take us an hour. Maybe 30 minutes? Buy we had just scouted out the way before we tried it with the boats.

Epic day.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mikenash Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 8:44pm
mm
mikenash
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mikenash Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 9:58pm
Some people have natural and/or learned ability to problem solve and perform in rescue situations.
Some people think they do and like to talk about it. 
Some people consider others ideas, communicate, and work as a team to achieve a common goal.
Others think they have it all figured out and wont consider fellow team members input and ideas, usually to the detriment of the common goal.  And most definitely creating tension and frustration between team members.  No fun for anyone.         
Some people think it is perfectly ok to be completely stoned in a creeking situation where others lives may depend on them.
Others dont!       
Class 5 creeking has an element of risk that is offset by ability, knowledge, good judgement  and team work.  Misadventures are great adventures. Our ability to deal with them can sometimes mean the difference between a fun, eventfull day and a complete balls up, or worse, a disaster. 
Choose your team carefully, for your enjoyment and your safety.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:13pm
Hey Leland!!!  Long time no see!  WOW, you were good at understating that story when you told me!

I thought you guys just portaged, I'd love to hear the 1st hand story of how paddler #2 got out...  I had a heluva time getting out on the side, glad I still had my paddle since I'm a much stronger swimmer with it.

Sounds like he did exactly what I did once you guys roped his boat back to him...  Epic sounds like an understatement again!

Have you seen my video?  Was the water level similar?  Higher?  (I know it's been a long time, I dunno if I could remember if it were me...)

Behemoth has been so nice to me until last weekend.  I have such a new respect for that drop.  Wow it's powerful! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(To everyone reading this, I think Leland is a bit superhuman...  Ever since he told me he portaged it, I've looked every time and wondered how that was possible.  Wow!  My second biggest paddling mistake was going in there after the gauge broke one weekend.  The whole run cleaned up but I wanted a helicopter rescue at Behemoth.  My buddy Leo ran it first and barely escaped the hole, there's basically no way to make the sneak route when it's raging, I remember watching him in a tail ender all the way to the wall on the right in that hole...  I just gutted it on the right once I knew there was a rope waiting for me.  Luckily it flushed me.  This was before I met Leland, I was so scared that day, and thought portaging was impossible...  We looked long and hard.  Had I heard it was possible there is no way I would've run it!  Thank goodness Leo did before me and had safety set.  That was one of the trips where I thought I learned my lesson about safety..  I feel bad because I didn't.  I was completely caught off guard when my skirt blew there.  It was my own fault and I'm glad things worked out so well considering.  In the future I will have a much more planned safety plan there.)
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:23pm
mikenash...

Very well put.  To be honest I don't know which category i belong in.  I think I've been almost every person you describe...

I try to learn, and really like this site and the people on it.  I know I'm a much safer paddler than I was 12 years ago.  My video shows I still have room to learn.  Rivers are humbling, I think that's part of the reason I keep coming back.  Every time it's a new experience.
H2O please
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 9:48am

I will have to look back at the helmet cam footage but I know that it didn't take me 10 minutes to get to you Brett. I was over that lip and looking down at you pretty quickly once I didn't see you pop up after your run of the falls.

I had a bag on you pretty quickly if I remember, right?

I also do not believe we tied any ropes off to loose rocks. As I remember; we had two guys above me, after a bit of yelling over the waterfall, with a tree and a boulder acting as a brake. No one was clipped into the rope and no one had it wrapped around their body.

I will be the first to admit that I haven't been to a swift water rescue class in a long, long time and it’s well past due. We used the tools we had at our disposal. In hindsight, we could have gotten you out of there faster if we had dropped a loop down to you instead of just the end of the bag. But; we were in a casualty situation and I was trying to give you whatever I could. We still pulled you up, hand over hand, from that cave.

I'm not sure if scouting would have changed the outcome. Maybe it would have, maybe not. I know my lines go either way, regardless of whether or not I look at the drop.

I think one of the simplest things you can do, safety-wise, is always have your throwbag. If you're out of your boat: grab your throwbag. Shooting pictures: have your throwbag. Walking the drop: have your throwbag. Help out your crew! And always have cold beer at the takeout.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 11:20am
I carry two throw bags, Daniel. My lines don't usually go either way when I scout. I chose poorly in that scenario and learned a valuable lesson. Everyone did what they had to do, man. I got no problems with what happened that day. No finger pointing, BS'ing or bad feelings coming from me. I've thanked you several times for helping me out and it goes both ways. I believe I've pulled you out of the river as well. Take it easy bro, we're ALL between swims here.
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version