Professor Paddle: Upper Upper Cispus Carnage... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper Upper Cispus Carnage... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Travisimo Replybullet Topic: Upper Upper Cispus Carnage...
    Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:37pm
Behemoth didn't go so well for me.  If that shelf wasn't so slippery with fast water, I woulda been able to stand up with my boat!

The raft styled it!!!

H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 8:24pm
Why did you take the center line? Was that intentional?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 9:28pm
Two kayakers that are better than me have wound up behind behemoth!

I never understood how that could happen... at this level I saw why...  If you land on the left a lot of water goes behind the falls...  I don't like running it first with no safety so I thought the conservative thing to do was just plug it and face the hole...  Wrong!  If you wind up in the punchbowl there is no way to make that sneak route without a motor... I tried!!!

There is a rope tied behind the waterfall too btw...  I think that's actually great, so thanks to whoever did it.  It looks terrifying back there at this flow!

MAN the force of the water was insane!  I had my paddle ripped out of my back hand, not surprised the skirt blew really.  I even have an implosion bar.
H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 10:05pm
Oh, long video if you just want to see carnage go to 3:40...

I'll also add this is the first time I've ever plugged behemoth, and likely the last!  I was just askared cause of the stories I've heard.  When I hear that ___________ and __________ have wound up back there... it didn't matter that I've run it so many times, it shook my confidence...

We got passed by a rowdy group from Oregon (great paddlers), they all took the left line and did fine.  I asked them at the takeout because I could tell by their smiles their day went better than mine!  We went a little slower so I didn't get to see that.  I was the only kayak and was trying to go set safety for the raft...  Mission accomplished... eventually!

It was a LOT harder to get out of the river than it looks too!  There is nothing to hold onto and even getting across that current is hard.  I got really lucky that my boat swirled close enough to grab.  Not sure what I would've done otherwise.  One thing is for sure though, it was never leaving that punchbowl.  Without a boat I'm not sure escape from that spot is possible.  A bit scary, the guarding current is really fast and that hole is sticky.

Edited by Travisimo - 26 Aug 2012 at 10:08pm
H2O please
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 6:46am
Plug ya later.
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 11:16am

Well Travis - I've experienced both. Neither are fun, but I'd say hitting the left line is the best! Plugging, blown skirt and swimming second. Behind the curtain 3rd - mainly because it's scary as hell back there and you will still likely end up in the circulating eddy on the right only after getting pounded.

On Saturday I ended up with too much left momentum and took my turn behind Behemoth. I had heard horror stories and witnessed a couple myself. Ten years ago or so I had my skirt blow plugging it, which was the preferred line then. A couple guys showed me the left boof not too long after and I started doing that. Probably done it 30 + times successfully since.

Anyways, I made a few mistakes on Saturday. First was not scouting. Even though I'd run it multiple times successfully and knew the line, I started too far right and tried to get left at the last second. My momentum carried me left and I landed with a lot of left angle, bow was higher then the stern and I was on my right edge. I lost all down stream momentum when I landed and tried paddling out as fast as possible, but started getting sucked back behind. Luckily I was able to grab the rope you mentioned when I was going behind the curtain. If it wasn't there - game on - of getting worked between a wall and a lot of water. With a quick scout I would have lined up better.

Mistake 2 was not wearing a drysuit. The water is freaking cold on that run - drysuit recommended. I checked the forecast before I left home and it said high of 79 or something. I figured I'd be good with a dry top and fleece. It probably never got above 60 in the canyon when it was at least 80 in the sun at the take-out. Water temp in the 40's I bet. Watching the other guys getting into drysuits at the put-in made me contemplate my decision, but too late at this point.

Anyways, I'm holding the rope and not wanting to get in the cold water. Looking to my right or behind me was scary. The water is slamming down very hard - another reason to stay in my boat. I was able to have one hand on the rope and one on my paddle but couldn't get set-up to paddle. The water is surging a lot back there with a steady strong current and a hole a couple feet from the wall. After 30 seconds or so I saw this hand hold I could grab with one hand and pull myself up the boil a bit while still holding the rope with the other. I though I might be able to get a good enough push downstream to try and paddle out. Only problem was the paddle kept slipping off my boat - I was trying to pin it between the cockpit and PFD - while trying to use both hands on the rope and rock. After several tries the paddle slipped off and disappeared into the curtain. I hoped it would pop-up in the boil and come back but no luck.

I was pretty disappointed with myself. I knew my four partners had no idea if I'm okay. It's 2 minutes into this now and they probably see my paddle pop up with no boat or swimmer to follow. Luckily I hear Rescue Hero #1 (Mike Nash) of the day say my name. He asks if I want a rope and I tell him, no I want a paddle. I still think I might be able to paddle out downstream. He was directly above me and I didn't think they could pull me up out of there. Mike lowers me his paddle and I try doing the same as before. Another several minutes with the paddle slipping off and coming back to me with no luck. I couldn't get set-up well enough to paddle with all the surging, boil and currents. Even if I had got set-up, it would have been doubtful to paddle out. While I'm attempting to do this, Mike is getting into a better position down stream of me to try and pull me out. Eventually Mike gets down pretty low on the wall (how; I don’t know - but very happy and greatful he did). He gets me his bag (and in return I loose his paddle to grab the rope) and pulls me downstream and out.

Now comes the fun part. I tried hand paddling to the left for the bottom ledge but don't make it there. I end up going over the right side, stern ender back in the hole and start getting worked. With some luck, I managed to get to the right side of the hole and pull myself out on the wall - upside-down however. After 5-10 hand roll attempts I see Sam Chesley coming at me. I start the bow resuce hand slide and can even hear Sam yelling something while I'm under the water. I thought I was floating into the next rapid downstream, so after a few seconds of waiting I decide to bail. Turns out the current pulled me to the left into the pool below the bottom ledge. Sam was trying to chase me down, but I bailed before he could get setup. Rob and Sam were able to get my boat before going into the next drop luckily.

I spent the next 20-30 minutes standing on a midstream boulder while Brad fished out Mike's paddle I had lost from the recirculating eddy below Behemoth. I was staring at the sun on the right bank while shivering in the shade recaping what went on. I was glad I put float bags in my boat that morning, bummed I didn't scout the drop and very greatful to paddle with four guys that put themselves out there to bail me out. It's a sweet drop, but you want to hit your line. And it's worth a scout, even if you've run it before.

In the end, I think I spent 10-15 minutes holding the rope. My forearms were getting spent by the time I got pulled out. It's worth considering what diameter rope is in your throwbag. Thanks to everyone for their efforts - Mike for pulling me out, Rob for getting my paddle and boat, Brad for swimming into the recirculating eddy to get the second paddle and Sam for the bow rescue and boat rescue.

Darren

rockarolla
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo
Trying to not fear the REAPER

Quote rockarolla Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 1:07pm
oh man    eeeepiiiic !!!!!
I remember being at the top of that drop on a cold winter day with a big group and every body just charging off that thing. I remember I just couldnt run it without looking at it first even though id done it before. Figured I was just a scaredy cat. 
good story and good video !
Dave Moroles.   253 241 8550.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 2:11pm
Glad you're OK Darren, I watched the video of it last night and it did not look like fun down there, but it makes for interesting rescue footage.  Unfortunately there's no shot of the collapsing sapling, :) but there is a cool shot of Sam hurtling right by you when he goes off Behemoth, it happens so fast I missed it the first time.  Thanks for the write-up, it's always good to get a 'lessons learned' viewpoint.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 2:50pm
Holy $#!t Darren!!!  Wow, I know I wouldn't have made it out like you did, glad now that all I had happen was a blown skirt and a little exercise swimming to that wall!

I too have always done well off that left side.  At super high water it's not an issue anymore from what I remember.  Then the hole after was one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen, and a big mistake for me to have been there.  All went well luckily though.  Everything else cleans up really good with tons of water!

At low water it doesn't seem to be there either, but man the line between success and destruction is thin when it's high/med high!

Thanks for the story, I thought I had it bad   I still love the Upper Upper, but have even more respect for it after that story.
H2O please
Hulkster
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Hulkster Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 3:12pm
Hey Trav - I guess I was in the "rowdy" group but I live in Washington (Anacortes) and one other guy came over from Boise. The rest were Hood River/Portland rowdies. We all thought you were the bravest guy on the river that day! 
McCain
Paddler
Paddler

Quote McCain Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:03pm
I think there is only one solution to this one. Time for you to hop in the raft big guy!!!

Edited by McCain - 28 Aug 2012 at 12:27am
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 10:25am
Haha, thanks for the offer!  Gotta say, rafts handle holes better than I do!

Nice line on Behemoth!
H2O please
smcboating
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote smcboating Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:59pm
Here is an angle of Behemoth that I bet few people have seen. This is a shot of Mike Nash running the falls, having a solid line. To river left is the cave/pocket that Darren and many others have been in from what it sounds like. When Mike pulled Darren out of the cave/pocket he scrambled to this spot pretty quickly. You can see the rope someone placed there. It was a lot harder for me to get there. Basically clinging to large clumps of moss on a almost vertical wall right above the same cave/pocket Darren was in. Might be a good idea to set up a way to get to this spot more easily.Mabye a few more established foot hold and a line to hang on to. From this view you can easily get a rope to sombody in the cave. In my opinion, this cave is way worse then the one below big brother(flow dependant of course). I doubt you could paddle out of this cave. Darren's a stud for hanging on as long as he did. It probably took 15 min for us the deal, and for Mike to get to him with the rope. Not a fun place to be chillen. Also probably a good idea to have someone keeping an eye on people running the falls from the river left lip of the drop, because at first we had no idea where Darren went. Just bummed I barley missed him on the t rescue at the bottom but alls well that ends well

Edited by smcboating - 28 Aug 2012 at 1:01pm
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 3:15pm
Wow, thanks for that picture!  I've certainly never seen it from that angle.  Wow, I never wanna be back there!
H2O please
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 6:16pm
Glad you made it out okay, Darren. I went back there last year and it took about half an hour to get 'extracted'. I was VERY thankful to be paddling with a great group that day. Glad there was a dangling rope to hang on to when I went in there. It is not a friendly place and I was very happy to be in my boat and not swimming. As I told others my tale, thinking it was a freak occurrence, I was shocked to hear the number of other paddlers who've gone in there. Solid, experienced guys. Some of the stories sounded pretty gruesome. Helmets being torn off. Swimming into the veil, only to get rejected... 5 times!! One guy had such a bad time in there he wanted to go back in to bolt in one of those emergency chain-ladders. There's nothing to hold onto either, just smooth rock. Bolting a rope or something in there might not be a bad idea. Sounds like a job for the Metal Man!! Great pic, Sam. Definitely tells the story.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 10:09pm
Good idea Brett, I'd definitely help out with that.  I can't imagine being back there, could save a life.  Whoever put that rope there was obviously a hero!

I think I'll be there again this weekend, but don't know much about anchoring in rock...  Anybody want to give it a try? 
H2O please
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 10:55pm
you need a cordless hilti, piece of tubing to blow out the hole, and a wrench. Drill bits and bolts might help too. I'd be hesitant about going in there and bolting a ladder out of that thing. Climbers can get pretty worked up over placing bolts, some paddlers might not appreciate a ladder in there. Plus rigging so you could get down and place the fu*kers will be really hard, you'll need jumars to get back out, and a gri to lower yourself down for hands free bolt placement.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:52am
I think a steel ladder is a bit much too.  I was thinking solid points to grab ahold of, maybe a bolts?  That lead to the side?  Maybe just one permanent bolt where that rope is so there isn't an unnatural dangling rope but still a place for humble kayakers to hold onto while awaiting rescue?

I've never been back there, but that rope won't last forever and probably isn't the most "natural" thing to have there permanently.

I've never been back there, anyone have a suggestion on what could work? 

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with anchors back there.  As long as they don't catch debris or become dangerous somehow.  It's not going to ruin the natural beauty of the drop, cause the only people who will see the anchors are kayakers in a lot of trouble.  They're not likely to complain! 

I have a cordless hammerdrill and ascenders.  I'd go in there and try if I had some help and some advice on what to do.  I've done plenty of anchors in concrete floors but never in rock.  I wouldn't do anything that would snag logs like a ladder though...
H2O please
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 9:52am
you could put two bolts in with a chain between them to grab on too, fairly invasive, but the NPS seems to not mind as there are miles of it in all the national parks.
rockarolla
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo
Trying to not fear the REAPER

Quote rockarolla Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 11:31am
Hey Travis putting anchors in rock is no different then in concrete. Drill hole, hammer in expantion bolt, tighten nut on end.As with a climbing situation be most careful not to drop anything.Attach everything to yourself using slings or cords .use 3/8inch stainless steel bolts.make sure bolt is long enough to attach chain or whatever your attaching to the bolt.
I agree that the smaller the setup is the less likely for it to just get destroyed by flooding.
From reading Darrin's story it sounds like its only a matter of time before we all endup back there grasping for whatever is there.   Like to help but I may be out of town for awhile
Dave Moroles.   253 241 8550.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 12:43pm
There's wasn't anything back there for me to even get a fingernail into. I was very pleased to see that rope dangling when I was entering that room of doom. If there were two or three "steps" that could facilitate a paddler/swimmer getting out of the water and at least a place to semi-comfortably stand on... muey bueno. Then at least it would give all parties involved a little time to get set up and lower the crisis level from Defcon 5 to a 2 or 3 :) I don't generally support man-made devices in natural environs. In this case however, I do. Especially when lives could be on the line. People are running things higher and higher these days and had I or someone else been back there at high flows 800-1000 it might get truly dangerous because the veil would be so thick a swimmer might not be able to break the "eddy wall" to get into the downstream flow and out. I have big respect for that drop.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 12:50pm
I think the trick is going to be creating a way to easily access where Mike was able to pull me out from. The dangling rope will be torn out every winter by floods or the rope will be haggered from the elements. A throw bag could be placed prior to someone running the drop.
If there isn't a rope to grab onto on the 'way by' the current is going to take you to the back of the cave and into the curtain. Safety would need to be set-up ahead of time. If somebody gets down to where Mike was able to get meyou could just toss a bag right away and pull them out.
Last guy just needs to hit his line:)

WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 12:56pm
Brett-
Were you in your boat or out? Were you able to paddle around back there w/o getting worked? It seemed like if I let go of the rope I would be getting trashed right away.
Never felt I was in a dire situation. Just did not look forward to swimming into the Behemoth.
Bottom line here is attention needs to be given to hitting the line. If a couple stories start to freak everyone out and people have crap lines because of that of course more people will end up back there. It is a pretty easy line. Lots of people have run it sucessfully; even with bad lines.
Secondly, be aware of the hazards. Dependant on group size - set safety accordingly.

peteg
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote peteg Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 2:10pm
So it sounds like it is possible to position safety before anyone runs the drop? When did that not become the standard at any drop of consequence? I know Behemoth has seen some situations in the last few years as it gets run at higher flows but now that the community knows, wouldn't it be a better practice to station 1 or two people at the necessary safety spots rather than go through the process of drilling bolts and such? Similar to what many folks seem to do at Big Brother? Would folks involved in rescuing someone there or being rescued run it without looking again anyway trusting that something installed last year is still there?

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here but it seems like recently the concept of setting safety is getting morphed into a much more convenient and reactive concept than it used to be. Maybe it's just me though. And I'm not trying to suggest anything about the recent stories there as all involved are better boaters than I'll ever be.
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by peteg

So it sounds like it is possible to position safety before anyone runs the drop? When did that not become the standard at any drop of consequence?

You're not being a jerk at all, that is a totally viable question.  The answer is you need to see the drop.  Getting to that position is not a small feat and endangers the safety setter.

Just because a spot is reachable does not mean it is safely or easily reachable.  I've run that river tons and never seen anybody go back there.  This discussion is about how to possibly save someone when things go horribly wrong...
H2O please
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version