Professor Paddle: sat/sun wenatchee tumwater vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: sat/sun wenatchee tumwater Post Reply Post New Topic
theim
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote theim Replybullet Topic: sat/sun wenatchee tumwater
    Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 11:46am
I am looking to run tumwater canyon on the wenatchee maybe this weekend.  I know they are doing that race at Chaos and could probably hook up with boaters that way but I have never ran it before and am looking for someone to show me the way down.  From what I have read its a IV-IV+ at lower levels? 

Edited by theim - 17 Aug 2012 at 11:46am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 11:49am
I'm going to be out there this weekend, not likely taking part in the race because I've only ran it twice, but I'm sure there will be people out there just for the scene. As far as showing you down, not the best person (again only ran it twice), but I'd rally with you. Send me a text or call.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 11:50am
at 1500cfs people will sandbag it and call it IV but as far as I'm concerned it's a IV-V run, the wall is a long rapid and you should have good class IV+ read and run skills to really enjoy it, also a solid boof stroke never hurts.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 4:09pm
I agree w Jed on his assesment... the dam rapid and three no names are class IV, but the Wall, Chaos, POW, and Exit each deserve a V.  Lower water levels allow for a IV+ / V- distinction, but then thats to each persons own judgement and experience.  Exit is always V in my book, don't flip over on that one! 
Have fun out there! 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 5:41pm
I added a little to the Tum description and it's true, above 1700 the run is more V than anything. Below 1500 still 4 class V drops and the other half dozen or more drops are class IV-ish. Have a boof and a roll or don't put on. That said many people will put on, deal through The Wall and Chaos, walking POW and Exit. Or just take out at the rusty bridge altogether. I'll be on a slow lap on Sun if you're around, theim.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 8:24pm
My general take is that you can make anything just a touch more doable by scouting (and I don't necessarily mean from the road).  Then you can decide if you can make the move.  I always enjoy the planning and execution phase of a scout anyway. 
My first trip down was with some random boaters from the Tri cities.  We scouted everything the first day, and sccond day we didn't need to scout the lines, unless someone wanted. 
Agreed on the flows, This river is all of class IV and turns to V-  above 1500. 

Sounds like a good choice for this weekend! 

Kirk

Kirk B
theim
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote theim Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 10:35pm
Well I think it would definitely be a step up for me, though I think I could pull it off. However, to error on the side of caution I think I will hone my skills a bit more before I take the plunge on this one. Thanks for all the input though.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:57am
I'm just getting my feet wet creek boating and from what folks around here say a good place to start is the section above the wall. There are some decent rapids up there, but I think it's not quite as continuous or as steep as the named rapids further down. Also starting a bit down from the dam to chaos is another good section. An easier run that is fairly short is to run from below exit to the next bridge - called the house run.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 2:00pm
You can also do the Dam to Rusty Bridge section, and walk Chaos for a bit more of a class IV experience. Upper Tum is a good option as well with some III's and IV's. The House run is quick with a few drops packed in to a short stretch. Make no mistake, the 4 big drops in Tum are V at any level.

I've noticed a trend in the last couple of years, especially with newer boaters that are 'feeling good', to downgrade the severity of a drop/run, or severity of a particular feature, like the wood on the Truss, or caves on the Little White. General river classifications generally describe a certain physical difficulty level. These classifications also warrant a certain level of emotional/mental aptitude as well. They also don't JUST describe with a single numeral these things, but also describe a level of awareness and ability to act when the S H I T goes down the tubes. Can you hit your buddy 50 feet away with a rope? I'm not saying your name needs to be Arnold to paddle class V. I AM saying it might be MORE prudent in certain situations to quietly say "I'll be back".

This also speaks to another emerging trend I see not just in boating, but in everyday life. The abuse of innocence. What's that? It's when you want to do something, disregard common sense, do it anyway, sh*t happens like you had a feeling it might. After it's all over you apologize for being a dumbass, expecting everyone to SAY it's okay, and they probably do because most people aren't gonna tell ya you're a dum dum, and so on. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you might just be the dum dum. Why do I keep hearing JP's voice over my shoulder???

SO WHAT if you're a rad playboater who tears it up at Skook, that hole at the bottom of Norm's is still gonna whoop your ass and make you swim so it can give you a real whippin' until (hopefully) you get roped out. Norm's is on the Cooper and the Cooper is considered a beginner creek run. Class IV shouldn't be taken lightly and when you're ready to start "steppin' it up" (rolls eyes)... step slowly. And cautiously. That way you won't have to take too many steps backward, you won't lose gear, break your back, drown, cause others to lose their sh*t because they're on the run with you tryin to pull your ass outta the hell you just forced the group to deal with. Prudence is actually the better part of valor because even though Tao proved kayaking is an individual sport, tell me ONE person who would leave another boater who was pinned, swimming, or even on one side and the boat's on the other.

It is more respectable to wait until you feel ready and go with a competent group, and ideally, within that group is one person who you are linked up with on that run that day who is showing you down. For me, this always inspired more confidence in my partner and trust in the team, which allowed me to relax a little so I could focus more on the whitewater, have better lines and become a more capable/experienced paddler. Paddle safe. Paddle smart. Paddle with friends who WILL take care of you and you them. Respect goes both ways.

While there may be some class IV drops, Tumwater is not a class IV run at any flow. Doing a small section of Tum which avoids the harder drops is a great way to continue learning about water as paddlers climb the whitewater ladder of difficulty.

Just ranting a little, don't downgrade!! If it has a rating, use it!! The rapid doesn't get easier because you've become a better boater or because you've paddled it 100 times. Nor does the rating change in most cases because it's 'low'.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
theim
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote theim Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 10:34pm
Well I appreciate the rant. It does put things in perspective and in reality I think I was getting ahead of myself by thinking about running tumwater. I will however take that advise of running the upper tum to get a better feel for that river and take the necessary steps to improve my skills.

I have taken a lot of good steps at improving my boating this season to become comfortable running IV's but as you pointed out, its better to step slowly rather than taking on rivers that could potentially take everything you have work so hard to achieve away. In short, I will definitely take this to heart when I am looking at new rivers to run and consider carefully all that is at stake and continue to paddle with a good group of boaters that know my skills as well.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version