Professor Paddle: GC Elwha vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: GC Elwha Post Reply Post New Topic
TomMarley
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TomMarley Replybullet Topic: GC Elwha
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 2:23pm
Hauled Hans' raft up in there this weekend and rafted the GCE in about 4.5 hours. Some wood but nothing in a really bad place. Goblin Gates is clean, but it is illegal to boat it. The National Park Service has closed the river from the Gates to Altair Campground. Be advised! The rangers are out there every day. As a conmunity, we need to be respectful of the Park Service and other auhorities who control river access and be grateful they allow us to boat in the Park at all. Bear in mind that the NPS incurs the costs of rescues...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
TomMarley
Paddler
Paddler

Quote TomMarley Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 2:24pm
Correction: we hauled the raft up in about 8 hours and rafted out in 4.5
I do not conquer that which is my partner.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 2:47pm
Tom did you run the Gates or did you have to get to hiking?

Why is the river closed?
TomMarley
Paddler
Paddler

Quote TomMarley Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 5:01pm
Yes we rafted the Gates and took out at the top of the lake. A ranger met us at the top of the takeout trail and told us we had just passed through a closed area, for which we could receive a federal citation. He let us go with a written warning and a full explanation of the closure. They don't want people down in the old reservoir for any reason because the river is still cutting down through the sediment (looks like NW Lake but bigger) and they don't want to risk people heading downstream toward the dam where they would likely need rescued. There are no eddies in the old lake section.
I do not conquer that which is my partner.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 7:25pm
Well, glad you got to go in and complete the run. I agree that (in this particular case) obiedience is warranted. Really glad you got in there dude!!
apexskier
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote apexskier Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 4:45pm
Awesome, sounds like a sweet run. There were some guys out at Olympic Raft and Kayak who headed up to the headwaters for about a week to film the river, but they weren't able to run the Grand Canyon or Rika because only one was a real boater and some plans fell through.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AdamG Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by TomMarley

The National Park Service has closed the river from the Gates to Altair Campground. Be advised! The rangers are out there every day. As a conmunity, we need to be respectful of the Park Service and other auhorities who control river access and be grateful they allow us to boat in the Park at all. Bear in mind that the NPS incurs the costs of rescues...
Just to confirm - this means ALL of Rica Canyon is closed? 
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:28pm
I do believe that i the case, Adam. I talked to Jeremy who was on the trip and he confirmed that nasty little detail. That area's gonna be shut down for three years so the new plantings can grow. Maybe as the area becomes more stable they'll let us back in early??
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
TomMarley
Paddler
Paddler

Quote TomMarley Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:17pm
Yes, all of Rica Canyon is closed. The closure is from just above Goblins Gates to Altair Bridge. (This also means that the class 4 on the commercial run is off limits; they've been launching at Altair Campground).

As far as flow goes, the gauge at McDonald Bridge was at about 1000 when we launched and at about 975 when we took out. It seemed pretty ideal because the rocks were mostly covered up but there were still short pools between most of the drops. Less water would have made the slower braided stretch between the canyons pretty bony, but the raft went fine at the flow we had.
Camrun
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Camrun Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 8:02am
Pics?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 8:15am
Gotta be a FIRST RAFT D, g...
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by slickhorn

jP respecting johnny law? Now I done seen it all! 

Easy, Slick- that's just the stuff coming out of my public relations department. Don't blow my cover.

Actually, for some reason I do feel compelled to comply, and I guess its because they facillitated and achieved the dam removals. So if they require 3 years or so of cooperation from us boaters I figure its the least we could do. How greedy do we need to be in a state litterally jam packed full of every type of whitewater a boater could want year round?

Yellowstone on the other hand: I say keep that sh*t Illegal, KEEP OUT all the law abiding people WHO WILL need to be rescued, and leave some good forbidden fruit for those who really want it.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version