Professor Paddle: Westport surfing question vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Westport surfing question Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 11:31pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIBgWI_BTyM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Let us get back to basics here.

Surfing in the ocean is a different ball of wax. The potential for less than ideal social interactions arise from various sources, some of which are unwarranted, others justly so due to lack of knowledge/lack of respect in a unique social agreement. While not as inherently dangerous as WW kayaking, surfing has a number of dangers not found on rivers. Knowledge, respect, courtesy, and above all, honesty about the situation will get one very far of they wish to endeavor. Just like WW.

We're well past the O.P.'s question on this, but I'm gla we're talking about it (or that I'm at least trying to expunge my take on it for whatever sake). I remember surfing one of my shortboards at a break in NorCal years ago, and a few older guys with longboards showed up and hogged all the waves. A week or two goes by and the same people are all there, but I'm on my longboard as well. I couldn't help it, I got revenge and abused the situation. They didn't share with me before, so I worked hard to make sure they didn't get much that day. Vengeance isn't a virtue, but neither is greed. Surfing can do strange things to people. Many good things. Some are just odd.
nnln.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Mr.Grinch

I worked hard to make sure they didn't get much that day. Vengeance isn't a virtue, but neither is greed. Surfing can do strange things to people. Many good things. Some are just odd.

That's exactly the attitude that I have seen in surfers and really didn't care for.

It's hard to get better or even start a sport when the people already doing it are out to get you.  That happens a lot in surfing.

SYOTR
H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 8:22am
sharks!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Travisimo

Originally posted by Mr.Grinch

I worked hard to make sure they didn't get much that day. Vengeance isn't a virtue, but neither is greed. Surfing can do strange things to people. Many good things. Some are just odd.
That's exactly the attitude that I have seen in surfers and really didn't care for.It's hard to get better or even start a sport when the people already doing it are out to get you.  That happens a lot in surfing.SYOTR

Taking a snippet out of the story, which wasn't complete to begin with, makes us both look bad.

The guys I did this to were "regulars" at the beach I lived at (as someone else posted the way to get good is to move to the beach. I did, and agree with the statement). They were not good surfers, just moderately wealthy older men with longboards who abused the wave catching power of their boards over the short board I chose to surf on that day. They showed me no respect as a local (lived there for many years by that point), and I didn't say anything at the time. When the tables were evened out, I used my better ability and showed them a little lesson. One of them had once said to me that I should find a different place to surf. Took that in stride as well.

An eye for an eye makes the world blind, but this was not nearly as serious, and late in that session one of them did ask me to stop taking all the waves (of course a few snuck by, but that doesn't mean they were in any position to catch them, those guys followed me because they knew I knew where to be. I learned to jockey them on my longboard, trying the same on a shortie would burn out my arms). I responded a little snarky, of course, reminding him about the session a couple of weeks before. He just kinda sulked, looked down, and said sorry. One of the other guys was too proud to admit he had been an ass, so I kept messing with him.

This is in no way my normal attitude in the lineup, and I'm the first to spot decent shortboarders and give them waves that they're in position for, as I'd hope for the same. Do unto others as you will have others do unto you. When good surfers who aren't dicks recognize each other in the lineup, they start communicating about who's going which way, who's in better position, who's been waiting longer, etc.

Communication, I think that helps all of us. Being cold to each other and not being helpful to the group vibe brings the whole thing down. Some people are just dicks, good surfer or bad.
nnln.
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:50pm
Oh, I learned a lesson a long time ago, so let me state:

No ill will, travismo! No harm meant! I know forum posts lack the inflection that would make my comments more the way I mean fo them to be taken, and people's moods affect how hey read them (at least, I know mine can).

Indeed, SYOTR, Tilton last winter was fun. Killer job of self rescue in your vid, too.

This goes to anyone, I know I'm blabbering on and on about surfing, but I hold it very close to my heart. I cost me a lot, but it gave me a lot as well. I know it is complex, and I know surfers have a bad rap (pretty well justified, too). I just hope to bring an honest and well experienced point of view to this subject on this forum. Doesn't make me always right vs someone else always wrong, not at all. But having lived and surfed up and down both coasts, I have seen a bit. I hope to help, and this winter, I hope to be sitting in the lineup with some of you, be it on boards or in boats.

nnln.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 10:39am
I ran a surfer over when it was packed out there. He popped up out of nowhere and flipped over then I glazed his board slightly. He was cool and no damage. I have surfed there a lot over the years in different conditions and also surfed in many other spots in Washington. Westhaven has a nice easy break for kayaks and nice sloping sandy beach (not to shallow). Plus it is plenty big to avoid other people if need be. I have been out there when double red flags were flying in 10-15 foot swells with no one else out there. That is a bit big though and wont do that again...
Nomad
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version