Professor Paddle: Cable drop break in vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Cable drop break in Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BRoss Replybullet Topic: Cable drop break in
    Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 7:20pm
Heads up about cable drop. We were careless and left stuff in the car. They took wallets and valuables, left our gear. Had already finished our run, went down to the putin for a swim and a beer. Saw the car as it peeled out burning rubber - light blue 1980s El Camino with two younger dudes in it. SnoPo (sheriffs) came, so they know about it. Left the car for 45min max. Might be safer at the confluence, who knows. There were 5 or 6 other cars there, mine was the only one with a boat on the roof.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
doggievacation
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote doggievacation Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 8:18pm
Ben, that totally sucks!  I ran the Sky on Friday and we did exactly the same thing as you guys:  after the run, we went back to the put in for a beer and a swim.  Just lucky we didn't get broken into, too.  I hope they didn't damage your car much.  Just dealing with stolen credit cards is bad enough.

John
Don't waste water!
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 11:55pm
I wouldn't say it's part of why I have a dog, because it has nothing to do with why I have my dog, but a fringe benefit is that nobody will try to get into my car.

Dog rental fees are related to a beer vs. experience equation. Not responsible for paper products left in your car. Excellent theft deterrent.

Honestly, sorry to hear that, Ben. Some people suck.
nnln.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 11:56pm
Oh, just to be honest, I've had my own dog eat my wallet while I was on the water. Better to k ow where those cards went than to wonder. Just sayin.....
nnln.
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 1:05pm
Grinch's dog is a scary mutha f*cka too when you approach his harmless looking white VW Bug.
That sucks Ben. Thanks for the heads up. Nice that you saw the car and it being such a rare one, maybe it'll be tracked. I mean, how many blue el caminos do you see a year!?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 9:24pm
Thanks for the hedz up, Ben.
Now that the hot weather is here an increased number of Washington residents are flocking to our river accesses, and with them, an increased number of sh*theads.
LisaF
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote LisaF Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 9:25pm
Be sure to check the pawn shop(s) in Monroe for your valuables; likely they're somewhat local and would turn it over right away. Damn, too many meth-heads around here!
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:01am
Thanks guys. Lisa, thanks for the tip. We called PawnPros about the one thing that was a real bummer. Luckily we called to block all our cards while the crooks were likely waiting to turn onto highway 2, so no worries there. The officer did make a point of telling us very clearly "it is all about meth". Not sure if that was meant to be comforting!

Chris that is pretty funny about your dog eating your wallet!
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 11:12am
I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled back for that el camino... seems like I have seen it around here before.  Real bummer, sorry to hear about your loss Ben. 

Edited by huckin harms - 06 Aug 2012 at 11:12am
SPerillo
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote SPerillo Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 12:41pm
Sting operation...Curb stomp em
ellsw121
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ellsw121 Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 3:32pm
Ben, I live in Monroe and can check out the pawnshop and gold and jerwlery buying shops for you. Do you have a picture of any of the stolen stuff? Both shops are just around the corner from my house.
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 3:46pm
Thanks Leif, I'll PM you!

Mike, thanks for keeping a look out for the car. They tried to use one of our cards at the sultan chevron
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 5:35pm
man... that sucks to hear that you got broken into, but super thank you for letting us know.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 7:24am
Sweet the sultan Chevron has Cameras. Now all you have to do is get the police to pull up the footage. It will show the car and everything. I would make that a priority, and not just for your sake, but the sake of everyone around!

Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 7:32am
Originally posted by James

Sweet the sultan Chevron has Cameras. Now all you have to do is get the police to pull up the footage. It will show the car and everything. I would make that a priority, and not just for your sake, but the sake of everyone around!

Courtney was paddling with the Canoe and Kayak folks at the Green some years back and their van got broken into.  They called the police and the credit card company to report that the security cameras at best buy showed the people using the credit cards, but no one cared and wouldn't bother taking the information down.  Of course, this is a different county so things may go differently.
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 7:43am
Dude, that is great news, thanks James!

Jimmy, that sucks. This Sno County Sheriff Deputy seemed like a real good guy and when I called about the cards yesterday he told me he would pass that info along to Sultan Police. I'll contact them again today.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 9:11am
Ben... Look I know I can get all amped up about this stuff. But allow me to digress.

Don't loose your steam on this issue because (and I don't mean to be-little your loss) this is a much bigger problem than just your theft, as Jimmy shows. I have had the same thing happen, and no matter how hard I tried I could not get the Renton, PD to pull the video tapes from a local business where my cards had been run. The local shop even told me they did not need a warrant, court order or anything. They just said they wanted a uniform to come down, review the footage, confirm it would help and they would make a copy and give it too them. The police refused because they were busy, and even with the footage it would not help with a conviction or real big "penalty" or "community news worthy collar". The bottom line is that we don't have police to only act when they see it is a worthy opportunity. I hope you get your footage, but I will not be holding my breath. PM me if you would like to know how I got the footage and then tracked down the person responsible for breaking into my car.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 2:42pm
What James and Jimmy are describing is more of a King/Pierce County issue. Down there theft is so rampant that they can't keep up with the volume and still do the things they are legally required to do. A few years ago KCSO changed their policy to basically state that a theft of goods less than $10,000 does not merit investigation, and a lot of departments in that area followed suit. They only take the complaints because they are required to track that information for the FBI yearly crime statistics. This was before the economic down turn and layoffs that cut their manpower. The limits might be even higher now.

Sno County that far north is likely a different ball game. Not only is it more likely that they will have the time to follow up on it, but it is more likely that making the arrest will have a large effect on crime in their area as it tends to be small localized crews doing most of this stuff. These are all good things for your case.

Now for the bigger issue. STOP LEAVING SH!T IN YOUR CARS WHERE IT IS VISIBLE!!!! We can complain about the lack of police response all we want and blame that for the problem, but the bottom line is that these guys go where they know they can get what they want. We see this pattern play out at work all the time where they stop frequenting areas when people stop leaving crap in their cars due to the theft problems.

It is extremely rare that they break into a car if a)it is locked, and b)they don't see something valuable inside it. If you don't like thieves then don't attract them. This means taking simple steps like leaving your electronics you aren't going to use at home, not leaving massive purses in sight (or better yet leave them at home for the day to), removing you dash mounted GPS from view, locking your doors, don't use your car to store your mail, folding up clothes left in cars so that it is not apparent that there is something in the pockets, not believing that covering your valuables with a blanket to form the obvious "mystery hump" in the back of your car protects anything, don't keep a check book in the car, don't keep the title to your vehicle in your car, and having enough situational awareness to wait until sketchy tweaker dude leaves (or at least is not looking) to stash your stuff. ID's, debit cards, credit cards, and cash all share one remarkable thing in common: they all fit in pockets under your drysuit or in a small drybag around your neck.

This is something that I have noticed boaters getting pretty lax on over the last few years. It has come to the point where I have also noticed that people give me snide looks when I take the crap they leave in the open in my car (thus volunteering me for the broken window) and hide it.

Kyle
I smell bacon
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 3:51pm
Kyle, you mean if I hadn't left stuff in my car, it wouldn't have been taken? no sh*t?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but seriously.
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 4:06pm
I don't think Kyle was pointing out the obvious to everyone, I know you said in the beginning you knew your stuff was taken because you left it out but plenty of people don't think along those lines sometimes -  I've had to do what Kyle does and hide peoples' wallets, iPods and purse-type stuff that they leave on the floor of my car or somewhere else completely visible because I don't feel like having my car window broken - which I have had happen, way back when I was less careful and left a laptop bag visible in a high end area of rural Woodinville because I really thought it would be safe for the 10 minutes I was gone.  (My purse, which I had covered up with a coat, was not taken even though when they grabbed the computer bag they dislodged the coat and the purse was visible through the broken car window when I got back - but they were in such a hurry they didn't stay to grab it.)  Like Kyle I sometimes get the odd looks from my passengers when I hide their and my schwag, like I'm so uptight I can't relax and enjoy the goodness of humanity or something. :) I can, but meth-heads are meth-heads.  When I wrote an article on car theft a few years ago the main thing I got from all the forum posts I found researching it is that many people got robbed when they left stuff in their cars for just 3 minutes while they got a coffee or something - I had not been aware that this was such a common thing.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 12:12pm
I reported something to the cops in Tacoma.. They gave me a web site and told me to stick it there. :(
I called back and told them I had a gun and I'd take care of it myself. They sent a cop to take my report. That's as far as it went.
If you can get their licence off a gas station camera you should be able to call the dmv and get their address. If you do I know I'd love to be a part of going down to say hi!
why not!
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 6:39am
The cops in Seattle took down a report when my truck was broken into on Capitol Hill. They had me estimate the value of all my boating gear that was taken. Thats about as far as that went.

When my camera, passport and wallet were stolen back in 2010; they did even less. The credit card company told me all the locations and times that my credit cards and check cards were used that afternoon, before the cards were turned off. I wrote everything down and called the cops back. They were uninterested.

I guess it comes down to workload, but I have a hard time believing that statement when I drive down to make the report at the police station and I pass 2 or 3 different squad cars writing moving violations...

Good luck man, hopefully everything taken was replaceable.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 12:18pm
If the police are going to make it a low priority to investigate and what not then they should make it a low priority when I deal with the situation myself. I will be frank here. Surfers in certain areas don't get broken into because they have a way and reputation for dealing with it that will have any tweaker praying to be arrested and dealt with by the authorities. Loggers and foresters in my area enjoy much of the same reputation. If boaters had that reputation it would serve them well. Unfortunately that involves earning it and a hard hand. I personally hate thieves and could give two cents for what ever happens to them. I am not suggesting anyone do a anything they are uncomfortable with but boaters and others I know of have set a bait car other areas and let's just say the problem stopped. Once word spread throughout the dirtbag circle in that area it ended for a time. Problem is be careful as the law trends to be irritated when citizens do their own policing which is total crap. If the cops don't want to get involved then don't especially when someone deals with it themselves.
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 12:40pm
We need to Break Bad! We need to crush a methhead's head with an ATM machine! That's respectable right there.
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 4:16pm
The stupidity of what SOPBOATER is suggesting should be obvious to most, but for those who don't get it I'll lay it out for you.

Here is a sampling of the last four vigilanty calls I have dealt with. They are typical of vigilanty calls. I think SOPBOATER's assessment that I found them irritating is fair!

Hero number one decides he doesn't like his neighbors driving "too fast" on their shared private road. He posts a 10 mph sign, and starts terrorizing his neighbors who he suspects of violating it. This culminates with him dragging a young mother out of her car at gun point and threatening to kill her while her very young children watch because she was driving 15 mph (his perception of her speed) in a fake 10 mph zone. He is looking at 8-10 years in prison now unless a attractive plea agreement comes his way.

Hero number 2 is a concerned neighbor who assaulted a off duty federal agent who was picking up something the fed had loaned to a friend. The friend was going out for the night and left the item on the steps to his tool shed. Hero number 2 took his swing at the fed after being told the fed's identity (name, relationship to the friend, and profession), and why the fed was there. Fed declined to press charges after it was explained to him that since he was not acting in a official capacity we could only arrest Hero 2 for a minor assault and not assaulting a officer.

A posse consisting of Heroes 3-8 decided to patrol their neighborhood at night because they were upset that the cops were not responding with gusto to a rash of daytime burglaries and prowler problems that were largely unreported to the police. They attacked a mentally ill juvenile with beer bottles after he cut through his neighbor's backyard to get to a friend's house (something he did every day according to the neighbor who's property he went through). No charges were brought after a unnamed hero intimidated the family into not cooperating with police. I am assuming that this was one of the heroes 3-8 so I have not adjusted the following hero numbers accordingly.

Hero number 9 was trying to save his cousin from a rape that he assumed was occurring because his cousin was screaming inside a strange man's residence. It turns out the cousin was freaking out after Hero number 9 got her drunk and high, and broke into the house of a man who was almost 90. Old guy was on the phone with 911 and in a different part of the house the entire time. Hero 9 kicked in the door, ran past his obviously not raped cousin who was still freaking out, found the old guy in the back of the house, pointed a rifle at him, and ordered him to get on his knees so he could kill him. Old guy decided this sounded like a bum deal and decided to run. He made it to a gun in another part of the house and a shoot out ensued. Old guy sustained life changing and life threatening injuries, but managed to wing Hero number 9. Hero number 9 ran away firing blindly in the general direction of the old guy's house as he "retreated" through the neighborhood. He later took a plea for 5 years.

Think these people sound psychotic, sociopathic, and/or just a little unreasonable? What was just being advocated here (whether he is willing to admit it or not) is no better. Setting up an ambush to seriously injure someone because you find the idea of shoving your IGidget in the glove box intolerable is worse than deciding to steal said IGidget by any reasonable person's measure of morality. If you rationalize it by telling yourself you are better than them and they deserve it you have just adopted the mindset of numerous serial killers, Enron executives, and kids who set up bum fights. Enjoy the company.

It is also ineffective. I have gone to plenty of logger vehicle prowls. As long as they leave crap in their cars thieves keep targeting them. Just ask Heroes 10-14. Their plans for a logger/thief beat down ended abruptly when they ended up looking down the barrel of Hero 10's shotgun that he left in his car. If loggers with axes, chainsaws, chains, and a whole bunch of impressive (albeit primitive) weaponry aren't enough to scare them why do you think they are going to be scared off by boaters with paddles and skirts?

I have no problem with people working their own cases when I can't for whatever reason. This does not include setting someone up for a beat down. Like many other cops I know I have also decided to not arrest property owners who took things a little too far in the heat of the moment. That said setting up a bait car to manufacture a situation won't get you much sympathy.

While most thieves are like roaches and will flee as soon as the light hits them some are not. Some are truly dangerous, insane, unbelievably violently, and unbelievably good at being violent. Trust me when I say you don't want to ambush the later.

Blair: that was a domestic dispute. As attractive as dropping an ATM on a tweaker's head may seem, getting into a domestic relationship with one to get it done is horrifying in its own right!

Kyle
I smell bacon
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version