Professor Paddle: IK info. Request vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: IK info. Request Post Reply Post New Topic
ChrisW
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChrisW Replybullet Topic: IK info. Request
    Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 10:11pm

Old Man sold hard shells because of back problems and stiffness;  liked surfing, 360’s, side surfing, enders, bow stalls, etc. I am missing the river!! SO--I tried 3 IK’s one was totally worthless, don’t know the name; one was an Aire Lynx I which was comfortable, roomy and handled ok, but nothing like a hard shell. I then tried a 20 year old Sotar Professional; it was much more responsive and fun. I could front and back surf, side surf, do 360’s and really enjoyed it. The new Sotars appear to be a constructed a bit different. I would like comments; how much have the Sotars changed, does year matter, do they perform the same, which size do you recommend; any other IK’s noticeable better. I believe there is a Stiletto being sold, but it is not the original Stiletto that was very good and no longer in production, is that true? How does the original Stiletto compare with the Sotar and are any available?

Ski to Sea; Rivers Rock!     Old-Man's Stopped Rolling, now just rides on his Red Rubber Ducky!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 6:28am
I know of one of the older Stiletto's that may be available. It's a longer single in the old red material.

I've got an Aire Force XL. It's a hoot, but I wouldn't want to run anything too scary in it. It's a playboat, not a creeker.

JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 9:18am
The newer Aire Force model looks very promising... I haven't paddled one yet, but have seen a couple on the river and their owners really seem to like them. Much more sporty than a Lynx. The older Force models were great, but quite tippy, the new model has more rocker and is a little more stable.

The Sotar design has not changed much over the years... they did dabble with a few different designs way back, but not sure if you have tried one similar to the ones they produce now or not. The size you pick depends on your size.... but if you're into more play boating I'd go with the smaller. I've paddled both the 10 and 11 foot sotar and they both fit me, and I am a big dude. The 10 footer I found more fun and playful.

The Stiletto is a fantastic boat. Fish must be on the Grand now, since he hasn't chimed in on them yet. But it's the boat that probably 75% of us local IKers who use IKs as our primary boat use the most. It's true that it is not is constant production, and was out of production for many years after Swiftwater (local raft shop that made it) shut down. But the original builder of the boat, Jim Sheflo does make occcasional short production runs of them. I can PM you his contact info if interested.

Stilletto vs Sotar.... The 11 foot sotar and Stiletto are similar in size, and both have their own unique handling characteristics. The Stiletto has a harder edge feel to it, which is enhanced by the foam floor. It carves an edge better and crisper than the sotar. It has less rocker and is pointier up front so it knifes through stuff, where the sotar will want to climb over. I've found too that the Stiletto is easier to control the edges as far as bracing, etc. The sotar has more rocker so in surfing you will not perl the bow very easy and it can actually be hard to initiate the bow or stern, the stiletto is way easier to initiate to get endos, etc.... but on the flip side can be hard to keep from perling when you don't want it to. Both work great as creek boats too. The stiletto you have to work harder to get a good boof, as with it's pointy design it likes to pencil in on big drops more so than a boat with more rocker like a Lynx or Sotar.... but then it has the handling to allow you to do so.

Overall, if you want a boat that's playful, I'd look at a Stiletto, smaller Sotar or new Aire Force. Any of those 3 are plenty of fun.

ChrisW
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ChrisW Replybullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 10:10am
Thanks for the great info!!   Anyone willing to loan or take Old Man for a test drive in a Stiletto or New Aire Force?  Got to try them both!  Class III or less with play, Lower Green, MM, etc.    
Ski to Sea; Rivers Rock!     Old-Man's Stopped Rolling, now just rides on his Red Rubber Ducky!
greg w
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote greg w Replybullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 9:38pm
Sotar with foam floor is also very good
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
refried
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

snowboarding,kayaking

Quote refried Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 7:49am
Originally posted by greg w

Sotar with foam floor is also very good
I've never seen a Sotar with a foam floor. I have the older dropstich style floor in my boat and they started making a new I-Beam floor a few years ago but I've never seen a foam floor in a Sotar.
The NZA
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote The NZA Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 1:38pm
Have you tried an Alpacka?
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 9:41am
Just read that Fluid is making a hardshell sit-on-top that looks pretty robust:

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
greg w
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote greg w Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 11:09am
Gotta do it yourself.get creative.add end pieces to deck the ends.laminate different types of foam to find best balance of weight and strength. Its a fun process.stiffer is better.
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 2:14pm
alright.. so, for a total newby to ik's if I'm getting a used one.. what things should I look for? I saw a tomcat solo that seemed really new but didn't come with anything.. and I see a lynx (I know it's the more expensive model) with leg straps paddle and pump... but it looks more "used"... so what things should I look at to determine the life left and am I better to just buy new (going for a cheaper model) It's for my gf, who I'm skeeming to get into kayaking.
why not!
otterend
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote otterend Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 5:22pm
I can comment on the new Force and the old Force XL.  Both are great boats, though have different handling characteristics.  The Force XL has a long waterline, with little rocker, and and tubes that taper significantly down toward the bow.  The boat tends to knife through large waves and deep holes.  The new Force is shorter (at 9.5 feet), lighter (at 32 pounds), and signficantly rockered, perhaps having 1/2 the waterline of the XL.  The new Force is quicker - more maneuverable - and more playful than the XL.  The inflatable floor in the new Force can be pumped to a hard-bottomed pressure in which the hull stays flat and rigid, making the boat a good surfer.  But it won't surf like a Jackson All Star.  I can muster a 30 second ride into Rodeo Hole at 13k, but it's really tough at fast volumes to keep the boat tame.  Lower volumes and long flat waves, sure, fun surfing is achievable.  Fast, short steep waves (Turkey Shoot) are much harder.

The new Force has inflatable floats fore and aft of the seating area, allowing you to get a great locked-in feel.  The floats also displace a lot of water from entering the boat.  Good drainage is provided in the floor.  Add to that, tightly drawn thigh straps, and the boat feels very secure.  The thigh straps attach to the top of the tubes, in contrast to most IK models' floor attachment for their thigh straps.  This allows for a better carve to eddy out and particularly for side surfing and bracing.

The new Force is a capable river runner.  I've passed through Boulder Drop intact repeatedly, though the last time backwards (and successfully) just past Ned's Needle.

So, I really like the XL.  And I like the new Force even more.

If you'd like to try one or both, I paddle the Wenatchee most weekends and would be glad to paddle with you.

Surfing an XL and river running on the new Force are shown here.

Finally, I have not previously come across Brian.  I checked out his website, www.wwik.org and am in awe of the places and drops he and his group have paddled.  I'd like to join up with the group sometime.

Chris

Edited by otterend - 18 Jul 2012 at 1:12pm
otterend
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote otterend Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 1:18pm
I'd like to join the IK flotilla, but 7/29 is out for me (summer gathering of ski bums toasting to  last season's waistdeep powder).  August is wide open though.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version