Professor Paddle: Grade 2 Sunday vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Grade 2 Sunday Post Reply Post New Topic
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote megspk Replybullet Topic: Grade 2 Sunday
    Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:05pm
Anybody up for a grade 2 paddle on Sunday anytime? There's a section on the Snoqualmie and I'm up for suggestions if anyone is interested!    
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:26pm
We just did the Upper Middle Snoqualmie last night. It's a nice little run, though kinda anticlimactic towards the end. No portages but there is a bit of wood. Paddlers would need to be able to recognize the danger and maneuver around it. Still all class II. We put in 6 miles upstream of the concrete bridge, just below the confluence with the Taylor. The hardest rapids are in the beginning, so, if you want a bit of a mellower run, put in a couple miles lower. This is a pretty scenic run. Don't forget to look up. One big downside to this run is the shuttle. The pothole marked road is a pain in the shocks.

The Club stretch on the Snoqualmie is a snooze. Can't recommend it unless you're desperate.

I'm a fan of Headworks on the Green River. There's a couple really nice surfing spots, a mid run ledge, "The Weir" that is intimidating to class II boaters, but is pretty safe(check for wood) and the swimming is easy. If, by the time you get to the first takeout at Kanaskat Palmer and you're feeling all super fired up, there's a nice class III run through the park. Don't miss that second takeout. :-)

If you're strong class II paddlers, you may be able to handle the Lower Green Gorge. It's a beauty and the surfing is great at low levels. You can put on below the first couple hard rapids to make it easier. Another really scenic run.

Don't forget your Discover Pass.

PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:48pm
Hey Dale,  what would you recommend for someone's first time on moving water?  club stretch?  think yo-yo is too low.  we talked about the swirly water on the upper middle. what about big eddy or is that too much at this level? i haven't run that since i moved here.

Megan, I might be up for it... might be taking the newbie out this weekend, so probably club stretch - we can figure it out friday.  otherwise I'll probably be on the middle middle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 2:22pm
The YoYo is pretty low. You could probably get down it, but it will be scrappy.

If you put on the Upper Middle about 3-4 miles above the concrete bridge, it's pretty doable, though, you'll still need to keep your eyes peeled for wood. The lines get narrower as the water drops. Also, the water is cold.

The water on Headworks is warmer and is probably a good bet, unless your newbie is really delicate. It's probably a bit harder than the others mentioned.

I'm not a huge fan of the Big Eddy run. It's probably a bit of a handful for a first timer.

The Club Stretch is pretty manageable but is severely lacking in surfing opportunity. It's probably one of the better bets for a first timer. Stop and scout the Blue Hole rapid(name?) during the shuttle. It'll give the newbies something to look forward to. It's certainly easy enough for first timers and it's pretty cool paddling right below Mount Si. It's also pretty easy to paddle the MM and have your newbie meet you at the MM takeout for the Club Stretch run.

PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 3:20pm
the yo yo is also pretty boring.  sounds like the club stretch is just as exciting?  (but great for a first experience on moving water)

anyhow, my newbie is definitely in this weekend for sunday.  Megan, you want to run the club stretch or upple middle on Sunday meeting around 11 or 12? 

Anyone else want to join us?  would be nice to have at least one more experienced boater!

BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 3:24pm
I may be up for something this weekend.
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 3:34pm
OH YEAH DALE - what's the lowest you run the lower green?  I thought it was too low.  Megan I think you can handle the lower green. 

Brian - i'm thinking MM sat and/or possibly FITW IF 1- it's in my comfort zone of low and 2-I feel good enough (which i might not).
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:02pm
The Lower Gorge is run pretty regularly down to around 400cfs. It's a bit scrappy in the shoals and gets a bit technical, but is not pushy and there is some good surfing at low levels. Some blessed souls have cleaned up the strainers at the Cave Wave. It's a great step up run for the ambitious class II paddler.

As for the YoYo vs the Club Stretch, at least the YoYo has that one tiny surfing area... but I think the YoYo is too low. I think you want at least 1000cfs on the Auburn gauge. You can still scrape down it at 800cfs, but that one tiny little surfing area gets even tinier. The fun part is, all the goobers running the river in tubes, K-Mart rafts and waterbeds and laughing at us for wearing pfd's and helmets. :-)

The YoYo appears to be brutal to tubers. When searching for information about the drowning at the Nozzle, I ran across story after story about lost boaters on the YoYo... and I use the term "boaters" rather loosely. Read the description of events in the this video... http://youtu.be/AC2p-ZE--pg

If you're looking to get away from civilization, the Lower Green Gorge and the Upper Middle are both completely free of homes on the river. You're not really that far from civilization, but it really feels like it due to the lack of houses and stuff.
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:07pm
I'll throw in my vote for the lower green also. There is great play that's not there when its properly lubricated.

Let's stay in touch regarding MM/FITW!
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:11pm
Thanks for all the info Dale.

Sunday I have someone doing their first moving water run, so that girl isn't ready for the lower gorge.  I was just saying that, in my opinion, Megan is capable of handling it, and, in my opinion, is almost ready for the middle middle.  Or the middle middle at a low water level.  It's a little harder than the section of stilly that we did.

Edited by PaddleGirl - 12 Jul 2012 at 4:14pm
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:20pm
I am down for Sunday anytime :) Sounds like fun. I am a bit beat up from my swimming experience the other day, so an easier run would be really cool. I heard the middle middle was pretty swift still. What section did you decide on for Sunday Jen?! See you tomorrow night!
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:27pm
honestly i think the club stretch will be a better choice for the brand new boater.  if all goes well and we want to boat more, we could do the upper middle afterwards (bring a snack).  either way, we can practice lots of eddy turns and peel outs and ferries.

meet at 11 at the take out in north bend?  i don't know where that is, but i'm guessing it's on AW or the bennet book since it's not on here.
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:27pm
The MM may be creeping down around 1000 which should be pretty mellow for a first time.
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:35pm

re "I am a bit beat up from my swimming experience the other day"

You can't drop that little bomb without providing a story.

mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:37pm
As Dale pointed out, the drive to the Upper Middle is heinous. I don't know how the construction project up there is going, but it is very slow going in the car. Beautiful run but I prefer more water in it for sure, and it is rather long. It will get wide and shallow. First time on moving water? Club Stretch will be enough for sure.
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by PaddleGirl

honestly i think the club stretch will be a better choice for the brand new boater.  if all goes well and we want to boat more, we could do the upper middle afterwards (bring a snack).  either way, we can practice lots of eddy turns and peel outs and ferries.

meet at 11 at the take out in north bend?  i don't know where that is, but i'm guessing it's on AW or the bennet book since it's not on here.

correction, there is a link to a map with the take out spot on the river page.

yeah, 1000 on mm is a nice mellow level.
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 7:06pm
So the swim wasn't that terrible, except the fact I hit my elbow really hard, punctured it and bruised it pretty good. The next one was more exciting. I got broached (I think is how you spell it) on a rock in my boat and stuck for a bit, never done that before and don't want to again!
Arrow6
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Arrow6 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 7:26pm
I'm game for Sunday, even if it's a terrible drive.
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 4:46pm
Hey guys, just checking in.

club stretch tomorrow at eleven. meeting at the 428th st bridge take out. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.5160675,+-121.7679977&hl=en&t=m&z=16
megspk
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote megspk Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 5:28pm
I will beeeeee there
Arrow6
Paddler
Paddler