Professor Paddle: Dewatering Ernie's Canyon: one step closer... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Dewatering Ernie's Canyon: one step closer... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tiziak Replybullet Topic: Dewatering Ernie's Canyon: one step closer...
    Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 7:30pm
Hey there qp peeps,

Tomorrow afternoon and evening, representatives of FERC (the federal energy regulatory commission) will be attending two meetings in North Bend to hear opposition to the proposed hydro-diversion dam on the North Fork of the Snoqualmie river. This small diversion dam would essentially de-water Ernie's Gorge.

If you've ever had the opportunity to boat Ernie's Gorge, then you know what is at stake here. If you have not yet had the opportunity, come out and make your voice heard so that your opportunity to experience this exquisite stretch of whitewater will not be taken from you.

This creek is a step back in time and a valuable resource for recharging your soul. Please come out and show that this treasure will be missed if its taken from us.

Meetings will be held here:
Cedar River Watershed Education Center Auditorium,
19901 Cedar Falls Road SE, North Bend, WA  98045

At:
Daytime meeting
Date and Time: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 11:00 a.m.

Evening meeting
Date and Time: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 6:00 p.m.

Tom O'Keefe has been working thanklessly and tirelessly to stop this from happening and you can read up on his progress so far as well as more about the FERC licensing process right here:
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article/view/articleid/31412/

Even if you think you will never desire to boat this incredible river, please come out and make your voice heard. Let North Bend know what kind of a special resource they have in their backyard. Let FERC know that there is more at stake here than soil erosion and physical asthetics. Let Black Canyon Hydro, LLC know that this is not the right thing to do.

If you cannot make it, its ok; support American Whitewater and all the help they give us.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Membership/join-aw/

Hope to see people there!

Cheers,
Dan

Edited by tiziak - 18 Jun 2012 at 7:40pm
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 9:56pm
Hey Dan, Thanks for leading the charge on this. Do you have any idea how long the public comment period is?
CK
Catch your eddies,
Christian
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 7:57am
I want to say that it's late July. I'll check.

Tom O'Keefe is leading the charge here and he needs all the help he can get. If you have the time today, please come out and show your support.

Daniel Patrinellis
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 8:10am
Public comment period ends on July 24th.

American Whitewater will be filing detailed comments and study requests for this project. Individuals and other organizations can also provide comment and raise issues. There are three options available:

1) For those who wish to file comprehensive comments or request studies you can register on the FERC website for eFiling. Registering allows you to sign up for the docket (in this case P-14110) and you will be notified of all filings and future opportunities to comment on the project. We recommend this option for those who want to carefully track the development of this project.
2) For those who do not wish to register but who would like to file a comment of less than 6,000 characters you can use the eComment system. You will want to file your comment with docket P-14110. You must still include your name and contact information at the end of your comments.
3) For those who wish to mail a hard copy of comments you can mail your comments to Kimberly D. Bose, Secretary, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, 888 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20426. Be sure to reference the docket number (for this project it is P-14110) in your introductory paragraph so that your comment is filed correctly.

Daniel Patrinellis
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 8:51am
Damn I wanted to go. But I got Lost. I will file a barrage of comments.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
keithmasill81
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote keithmasill81 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 10:41pm
BUMP
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 8:22am

One of the things that concerned me at the meeting: there was a very angry homeowner present that insisted that kayakers are destroying his property.

I have personally never run into a landowner. I know that some of the landowners near the takeout have been very friendly and offered to shuttle, etc. This man, by the name of Brian (?) stated that kayakers have been destroying the banks of the river, dumping trash on the trail, parking in the road at the put in and take out as well as dying.

Regardless of where this animosity is actually coming from, please be respectful of property owners in the area. Its already touchy with the new permit required for access, let’s not make it worse. Please park off the road, pack out what you pack in and try not to "destroy" the river banks on your way down to the river.

Daniel Patrinellis
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 9:02am
That would be a quote for the log books. ... "I am just sick and tired of all these kayakers dieing up here."
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 9:20am

I was a little surprised as well. I had never heard of a fatality. Tom told me that a pair of brothers had drifted into Ernie's on a raft and one of them drowned. I wouldn't call that the same thing. I think he was just pissed off that we were trying to use his river. I've seen that mentality before.

Have there been any kayaking fatalities on the NF Snoqualmie? I couldn't find any.

Daniel Patrinellis
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 9:25am
"Trying to use his river"

Well I guess he would be an advocate against the power project then too. Right I mean that is a company that is going to cash out on his river! Maybe a few kayakers yelling wee as they have fun is better than a company running heavy equipment up and down his road yelling ching ching...
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 9:29am

That's why I'm saying the animosity was suspect. He didn't say anything for or against the hydro project. After the meeting was over. he was walking and talking pretty chummy with one of the hydro plant guys though...

Daniel Patrinellis
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 9:31am

I think if he owned the property that they are proposing putting the tube in, he stands to make a fair amount of cash. But if it's not on his land, I fail to see what he could gain out of this deal.

Daniel Patrinellis
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 3:44pm

Bump!

Hey Peeps. We need more people to log on and leave comments against the project to install a diversion dam in Ernie’s.

It doesn’t have to be a long story about how beautiful the river is and how it’s going to kill baby dolphins if it gets a diversion dam. Just log on and say something to the effect of: “ Black Canyon has recreational value to kayakers and rafters, I believe a diversion dam would have negative effect on the community as a whole”.

Like I’ve said before; even if you have no interest in ever kayaking Ernie’s Gorge, please help keep it in its pristine condition.

The public comment period ends on July 24th. In two weeks! So… Please use this link and give AW a couple minutes of your time.

You can use this link HERE

Or you can cut and paste this:

http://www.ferc.gov/docs-filing/ecomment.asp

Remember: you’re going to have to reference docket/case P-14110

Thanks guys!

Daniel Patrinellis
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:17am
The comments have been streaming in lately. So far every single one has been against the project.
This is the phase where FERC gauges public interest and thus this is the most important comment window.
Please take the time to do this. Your voice makes a difference.
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:26am
Yep.

Seems our East Coast Brethren are more apt to take the time...

Daniel Patrinellis
horton
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote horton Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:48am
Hey Tiziak,
I'm sure you have, but if you haven't, you might want to post this on mountainbuzz, boof.com, and the northeast paddler's message board (www.npmb.com). The more the merrier, right?
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:57am
something is wrong on the site, it won't let me do ANYTHING, it lets me register and then sends me to the beginning, i click the link again and makes me register but never lets me comment.  What did you do when you commented?

The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 11:00am
ah, you need to check your e-mail and it send you a link then you can comment.
978-273-7723
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:09pm
Even if folks don't plan on ever running Ernies I implore you to consider what this might mean for the runs that you do paddle regularly, and what micro hydro will do to wild places.

So much of our daily landscape exists only because humanity has created it, buildings, sidewalks, roads, parks, dams, power generation, etc, but there are still places that exists beyond the sphere of human influence.  Ernies is one of them. Lets keep green spaces green, and use the brown spaces for new power projects. Don't do it because your doing it for yourself, or future generations, or the earth, your conscience, your sense of duty to the river, do it because there are spaces that are un-fu*ked-around-with that nature or god or whatever created, and that's pretty cool.
978-273-7723
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:44pm
I filed a comment. If you've ever seen the Ashlu project, the proposed powerhouse should be about the same size (the penstock is shorter). That stuff doesn't go away.

I pencilled it out and while the project is over twice as big as allowed under King County's easement, it will provide only 0.035% of the projected increase in power demand over the next 20yrs or so. (That's using the company's own projections).

Thanks Tom and Dan for organizing an effort against this. Hopefully it won't get built.
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:00pm
Also read a few of the comments (they're public, just search for the docket # here http://elibrary.ferc.gov/idmws/search/fercgensearch.asp).

Local residents have left comments questioning how the construction will proceed. The hydro co has apparently pledged not to use county roads through Ernie's Grove, but one comment argues this or new roads over private property will be the only way to access the site. In addition the powerhouse is to be sited on private land, and the landowners have denied access to inspect the site and dispute the hydro co's characterization of zoning and improvements.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 1:57pm
Thanks for the good beta phil.
978-273-7723
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:36pm

Thanks Jed!

Yeah, sorry. You have to put in your email and full name, the email that they send you contains a link that you use to leave a comment.

I realize that a lot of people are not interested in running Ernie's and that’s totally cool. Ben hasn't even been able to talk me into going in there lately.

It's the idea. It’s the fact that a company can move in on a navigable waterway and say "We are going to dam this portion of river, to and generate power, that we will then charge you to use".

So they divert water from Ernie's and a couple people can't do the run anymore. A couple boaters are now sad but the majority of the community is not negatively affected. But what about when they look over that the Middle Fork and decide that it would be a great reservoir. Wouldn't that bother you? What about if they decide to put a dam on the Skykomish? I would raise my voice. I would try to stop it.

Even if this doesn’t directly concern you and your boating ambitions it is still going to affect part of your community; your family. It’s going to affect the people that you carry a throwrope and a breakdown paddle for.

If for any other reason, voice your concern just to help stop another corporation from destroying a beautiful natural resource and then profiting off of it.

Daniel Patrinellis
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 9:01pm
Dan - Appreciate all the effort.  Great job getting this visibility on other forums.

I filed my comments yesterday, and will get some family members to do the same.

This weekend might be a good level and great weather for getting back in there.
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 11:40am
Thanks for the comments so far.
This is a new phase, so even if you posted a comment in the earlier period, you need to re-submit.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version