Professor Paddle: North Fork Quinault below Kitma Creek vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: North Fork Quinault below Kitma Creek Post Reply Post New Topic
The NZA
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The NZA Replybullet Topic: North Fork Quinault below Kitma Creek
    Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:07pm
And main fork above Pony Bridge ...

So I was backpacking up on the the N Fork Quinault last weekend, and there are some cool looking canyons below Kitma Creek that I thought might be fin to get into. Anyone done that stretch? I guess Geoduck Creek to Kitma is class V, but from the stretches I saw, these ones looked no more than class III. There is a mention of this section on Amer Whitewater that said everything below Kitma is class II. Anyone done this section? I was thinking of taking my packraft up there ... would be a good day trip up to Elip Creek and back down to the Lake.

Also, it looks like Enchanted Valley to Pony Bridge is runable, and maybe not as difficult as   the lower class IV-V canyon.

There are also some cool little side creek sections  up in there that could be fun in a packraft.

Let me know if anyone has done this and/or is interested in hiking in and running these sections if that proves possible ... I am really not ready to go much beyond class III at this point but would like to find some more experienced paddlers who might want to explore these areas.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
zenofww
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote zenofww Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 7:43am
Just below Kimta creek the canyons that you mentioned are mostly class 3 but with a handful of class 4 rapids sprinkled in there. We were pleasantly surprised when we went through since we thought it was all going to be flatwater.

The upper canyon is second on my list of the most beautiful river/creeks Ive ever seen. Fantastic place.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
The NZA
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote The NZA Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 11:13am
Awesome, thanks! That upper canyon looks beautiful for sure. So if it's your 2nd most beautiful canyon/creek. it begs the question: what's the 1st?
AdamG
Paddler
Paddler

Quote AdamG Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 1:54pm

We paddled the EF Quinault (or just the Quinault on some maps) from Pony Bridge to the campground this past winter and I would say the same thing as zenofww - its a special place. I took a handful of crappy photos on that trip and they are posted on the river page. I can't speak to the NF but cant help but daydream a EF/NF doubleheader.

The river at Pony Bridge is absolutely stunning. The section upstream of the bridge looks just as enticing as downstream.

Cant wait to get back over there and see how far Im willing to carry my sh*t 
zenofww
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote zenofww Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 3:28pm
Dipper Creek, BC.
The NZA
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote The NZA Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:55pm
Chetco looks completely amazing! That is definitely on my list of places to packraft. Let me know how it goes, and if you wanna get into the N Quinault sometime. Would love to get  back in  there with someone who has more experience (I have a tendency to get in over my head!) Just watched a video from Dipper Creek and  ... wow.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version