Professor Paddle: PP Ball Event Schedule
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Trips Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: PP Ball Event Schedule - Event Date: 09 Jun 2012 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fish Replybullet Calendar Event: PP Ball Event Schedule
    Posted: 31 May 2012 at 12:39pm
Hey Paddlers,

The 2012 Professor Paddle Ball is a community gathering for all paddlers and craft held on the Wenatchee River. 

This years event is on June 9,10th at the same location in years past (Phils riverfront property).  We'll have prizes and schwag for all events on both days, a private riverside camp for everyone to camp at, and Kegs for the party both fri & sat night.  

Saturday June 9th-

11am-    Lower Icicle Creek Race (Kayak+Raft)
4pm -     Wenatchee Downriver Sprint (Mass Start)
11pm-    Operation Aplets & Cotlets

Sunday June 10th

12pm-    Wenatchee River Rodeo (Spot TBD)
3pm-      Raffle &  Event Awards

SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS!

Edited by James - 04 Jun 2012 at 1:18pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:02pm
Looking for this private Camp Ground right on the River at the Put In for the play run?
Here it is: http://goo.gl/maps/ao0T

This link will take you to the Google Map of the Event. Camping, Race, Rodeo Location are all listed on this map.
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:21am
Fees?
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Mark47n

Fees?

If same as before, $5 beer. More cash and you can get some shweet shwag like the limited ProfessorPaddle Ball T-Shirt.

Edited by James - 01 Jun 2012 at 11:26am
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 3:04am
Do we just pull up to the camp site and pay there? Will there be plenty of room for everyone or will they run out of space?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 7:46am
Space should not be a problem but showing up early is not a bad idea either so you can pick out a good camp spot.

You pay at the camp site, there will most likely be a registration booth. I am not doing the event this year but that has been what normally goes down. Shirts, Schwag, Raffle, Camping, and Beer is all sold at the Registration area.
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:37am
Any chance of doing the Icicle Race on Sunday? It would....
1. Allow me to participate as I will be gone Saturday and
2. Give everyone a chance to get some laps on the race course Saturday to nail the lines down.
3. And have a race each day! Rather than two on the same day.

Just an idea. Thanks for the consideration.

Darren

WhiteWaterWheat
Paddler
Paddler

Quote WhiteWaterWheat Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 12:55pm
Hey everyone,
We have a band for Saturday night at the PP Ball! 

The band is called Baby Brother and they are local musicians from Seattle.  It'll be a great show!

"Baby Brother gets together when there is a party in need!  Hired guns from Seattle and Tacoma, we are made up of players who like to play hard and play good time rock and roll, Honky Tonk and anything on the fringe.  Don't be alarmed if you feel like you have to start dancing and don't hold back, Baby Brother is a loosey, goosey good time."
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 6:46pm
I agree with Darren. I believe that there is a Wenatchee Riverfest downriver race on saturday as well. So, that makes, like, 3 races all on saturday. I gotta say I'm not stoked on the scheduling. I mean, I'm not saying that to be a dick, but I think it would be cool if some of the events were planned to dove tail a little better.

If I gotta choose between three different races, and only get to do one it will be kind of a bummer

That's my input. I bet PP can be more flexible than the organizers of Riverfest, and honestly, it is a tragedy that the two events are so determined to remain seperaye entities.

Anyone see the movie Ran by Akiro Kurosawa? The emporer Hidetora gives his kingdom to his three sons:
WKC, PP, and River Booty.

Early in the film he tries to instill the virtue of unity by holding out a bundle of three arrows. Individually each arrow could be broken easily, but together, the three arrows are strong.

Despite this, one of the sons belligerantly rebels and wants to do his own thing. Maybe that's River Booty (no offense River Booty- you know I luv ya, just stick w/ the metaphor here...)
WKC knows about the PP ball. Maybe they are the old guard, and maybe they are a little too afraid of The Ramp and assorted Fireball that emits from a younger culture.
And PP: most of yall are relatively new kids on the block. Johnny Come Latelies, if you will. Hell, some of you still don't know your asses from a hole in the river. But that's ok. We are all here to have fun, learn, and grow.

Personally, I'm gonna have fun no matter what. Because I know that on one hand, if I skirt up a wildwater boat, those WKC paddlers in wildwater boats are likely to give me a sound ass kickin, cuz I can barely keep that thing from wobbling all the way to Casmere. If I jump on Icicle, I can bet that any number of contemporary top paddlers will similarly keep me honest. The clock doesn't lie.

Freestyle? Damn I ain't even gonna step to that. That is the realm of fresh ideas and refined newschool whitewater mojo. This dog don't have the motivation to learn them tricks. The Ramp, I guess, ain't happening this year. Personally, that sh*ts too Evil Kineavel for me, although after three or so years I have yet to see anyone get seriously hurt aside from a nose bleed generated by sliding face first down the thing...

I guess the way I see it is that the event can be way bigger and better if combined, or at the very least dove tailed as its seperate components. I see a huge rift between the old school and new school and it kinda bums me out.

Kinda.

Just some thoughts. Regardless of what goes down when, all tributaries lead to the Wenatchee this time of year, and lots of river peeps gonna have lots of fun.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 6:52pm
On the other hand, I suppose having the Ici Race on saturday frees up a spot on the podium, now, don't it?

Originally posted by WA-Boater

...as I will be gone Saturday

Just joshin', D!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 7:13pm
jP- freakin' WELL SAID amigo. I'm a noob with friends in both camps jest trying to figure out how to have fun, paddle and push the rock up hill. Hope I get to somehow make sense of it all....You will know me as I will be the old guy trying to hit his roll ;-)

Hope some of those awesome t-shirts are still available Sat,. morn. when I pull in.
AMcEwan
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote AMcEwan Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 7:13pm
I'd be down for a change to Sunday morning for the Icicle Race.  To get a lap or two Saturday, then sleep on it.

-Andrew
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:10pm
Aw man, I see a trend here. We GOTTA keep the Ici race on saturday. Free up TWO spots on the podium. Keep these heavy hitters AWAY!

I'm just kiddin, Andrew.
Honestly, I think sunday may make sense. I also respect that the organizers are volunteers and may be locked into the schedule they laid out at this point.

But If Bob Marley's ghost shows up to do a little kayakin, you know he'll be singing "One World, One Riverfest, lets get together and feel alright..."

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:19pm
I missed naked JP last year as I passed out. I'm not missing it this year!!!
Nomad
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:21pm
Is the PP Ball raffle and stuff benefiting the Matt Thomas or other funds, like last year?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:23pm
Ok-- Looks like River Bootay has joined forces w/ the Wenatchee Riverfest, which mostly occurs on Friday eve and Saturday. It's good that River Booty is bolstering the Raft presence at an event that has predominantly been kayak-centric. This needs to occur.
I just copied and pasted the following info from WKC's Wenatchee Riverfest page for everyone's convienience:

11:00 AM Booth displays and Throw rope competition opens at the Cashmere's Riverside Park
Registration opens at Riverside Park
SUP Clinic sponsored by Leavenworth Mountain Sports
2:00 PM WKC Downriver Race (Rodeo Hole to Cashmere Take-out)
3:00 PM Leavenworth Mountain Sports SUP Downriver Race (Rodeo Hole to Take-out)
5:00 PM Raft Race co-sponsored by Aire & Hyside Paddles (Rodeo Hole to Take-out)
5:30 PM Raft Flip-n-Recovery sponsored by MTI (Cashmere Take-out)
6:00 PM Cashmere Riverside Center for Awards, Silent Auction and LIVE Music!

So that's a whole lot of racin goin on during saturday. Throw in a mass start race in the middle of that...??! I mean, I could go either way. Part of me would love to see the potential chaos that ensures when you all know damn well most of these events will not start on time. Oh! The madness when all sorts of mass start kayaks mingle w/ rafts and Sups!!! GLEE! All those custies on the afternoon commercial raft trips too, gonna be sayin "WTF?!" THIS IS GONNA BE A BLAST!!!

The other (more mature and rarely expressed) part of me would love to see all of this dovetail a little better. And given that WKC, LMS, and River Booty all have scheduled events, PP is probably in the best position to be flexible and plan around them. Now, that's only a suggestion. At the very least, on a diplomatic and cooperative level, it may be the courteous thing to do.

I am not personally invested in either outcome, just pointing out some basic cause & effect stuff. And also pointing out that PP should not place itself at odds with these other organizations. If you guys feel I'm making a mountain out of a molehill that's cool. Just bringing it up as a concern. It'll be a fun weekend for all individuals involved no matter what, but it would be cool to see our community united on a bigger scale, rather than divided. And that's all I have to say on the matter. I am a free agent. I will be in several different kayaks throughout the weekend, making game time decisions throughout.

...and I am.increasingly lookin forward to it!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by dave

I missed naked JP last year as I passed out. I'm not missing it this year!!!

THAT, my friends, is the threat I hold above you all, should you choose to remain isolated from the rest of the fest!

I know, some of you are cringing right now at the very thought. Should PP choose to merge with the rest of the fest, I will behave in a respectable manner. otherwise...

I'm just kidding- you can decide what you will. Throw all them Skittles into the water- let the river sort 'em out!!

Funny Dave, I also missed you cracking up your Mini Cooper

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:47pm
I agree, lets change the races around and not conflict with other events happening.   Would be even better to combine events into one,  and have both groups contribute prizes to sweeten the pot...   
Feel free as a community to structure the races how you like, we have total flexibility.  There are so many races to paddle in,  even Darren is gonna be tired after this weekend.
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 10:19am
jP, I have to give you major props for saying what you have about the riff between the communities. I completely agree, and I too, frequently experience the struggles of feeling "in the middle". Bottom line though is to remember to treat everyone with the same respect you ask, and keep the banjos playing!!
I may not have been around last year to see all the shenanigans, but I heard about it all the way on the OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD, and I won't be missing it this year!!

Thank you to all who have put so much effort and time into organizing these events!! WIthout you, we wouldn't have schedules to talk about.

Looking forward to another fantastic weekend in Wenatchee, with great people, all around!  
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 12:06pm
I am heading over Friday around noonish or so and am taking the easy fast way via I-90 to Blewit pass way. I was going to ride over, but the rain is putting a stop to that.
So, I have an empty seat so far. Room for one boat and one person. No one has claimed a spot yet, I figured my roommate would want a ride, but I havnt heard from him in two weeks...so, if you want to carpool...
I am planning on coming home on Sunday morning and live in the Renton area.
Just shoot me a pm and I will give you my phone number.

Edited by dave - 05 Jun 2012 at 12:07pm
Nomad
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 3:56pm
SO can we unofficially plan on having the creek race on Sunday? I think we should do what we can to include Darren considering he's been the champion the last three years running (although if Andrew wasn't gonna make it I'd be pushing for Saturday :)
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 3:57pm
Dave, your post is off-topic.
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 4:48pm
speaking of pallets, there are free wood pallets out in front of GM Nameplate on 15th in Interbay (at least as of yesterday), if anyone wants to pick them up to take to the Ball.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 5:28pm
What about the race? I can only make it Sunday. Someone has to make up the field.

Edited by septimus prime - 05 Jun 2012 at 5:36pm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 5:47pm
Well, whatever goes down, lots of peeps will be on the river this coming weekend doing what they love. Regardless of how events are or aren't scheduled, seperately, concurrently, whatever, there's gonna be a huge bonfire at Phil's and to me that has always been the heart n soul of the Professor Paddle Ball. All the races and prizes and stuff are cool too, but they are just icing on the cake. And maybe a good cake needs icing, but that doesn't sound like it'll be a problem this weekend. No matter what we are all gonna have a good time.

Slick, I'm not sure how much extra room I'll have but I'll see if I can swing by and pick up some fire wood.

What was the status on wood again? Someone remind me. I remember advocating a BYOW policy but I think that got vetoed. Seemed easy enough that if every car brought two bundles of wood we'd be off to a decent start anyway. Just sayin.

Edited by jP - 05 Jun 2012 at 5:48pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version