Professor Paddle: Raging River? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Raging River? Post Reply Post New Topic
slimpys
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote slimpys Replybullet Topic: Raging River?
    Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:07pm
Hello,

I'm relocating from the Portland area up to Seattle in mid-July and we just made an offer on a property fronting the Raging river near Fall City.

I know its not runnable now, but has anyone ran the river in recent winters?  The guidebook mentioned the run from Preston to Fall city is a class 3, but the old homeowner had never seen any kayakers pass by.  Would be interested in hearing if anyone ran it and how the wood situation has been in recent years.  Thanks!

--Tracy
"Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment"
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:36pm
  I know people have run it and that it's generally a masochistic fun fest of wood and portages.  It's also on my list of ways to properly have a good day, though I've not scouted it...yet.  I'm in for when it has sufficient water and I have time.
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 2:08pm
I used to run the Raging quite a bit (or at least when we could catch it at a good level). It rises and falls fast with rain so it's often hard to catch at a good level.

The wood situation got really bad a few years back and that's why it doesn't see much use these days.

My last run there was 3 years ago and there were many portages due to logs, a couple of which were a bit sketchy.

There's been several good flushes since then, so maybe it's cleaned out some. The last time I did a drive by (a couple months ago) the only blocking wood I saw was in Cheese grater, but it looked like it blocked only half of the channel. Of course, there's a lot of the river that you can't see from the road, and that's where a lot of the wood has been in the past.

Maybe this fall when there's some water in there I'll check it out again and see what shape it's in. If someone is thinking of running it to probe the wood situation, I would highly recommend going at Low levels, like around 300 cfs. You can get down the rapids just fine with a bit of scraping at that level and you'll have an easier time stopping for and portaging wood.

Even at more medium levels (500-600) this little river gets pretty fast... and altough the whitewater is really fun at higher water (~1000) I would only run it at those levels if you know the run is squeaky clean.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
olyyaker
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote olyyaker Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 3:14pm
I'm pretty sure someone drowned getting caught in  sweeper 5-6 years ago there, experienced boater if I remember right. Always tragically sad. They were just a group of 2.  Another reason it doesn't get run much I suspect. 
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 4:56pm
AFAIK the incident was in the late 90's...

"

The man who drowned while kayaking with a friend Sunday in the Raging River near Preston was a well-known public-health official in southwestern Washington.

The body of Dr. Thomas Bell, who advocated a controversial needle-exchange program among drug addicts in Southwest Washington, was recovered yesterday after King County sheriff's deputies noticed it about 200 feet downstream from where he disappeared.

Rescuers recovered the body from mid-river, where it was caught on a snag.

Bell, 51, a public-health officer who supervised health departments in Cowlitz, Lewis and Wahkiakum Counties, lived in Seattle.

Bell and his kayaking companion, Stephen Harris, also of Seattle, were sucked into a logjam and pulled under in their separate kayaks southeast of Preston.

Harris managed to escape, made it to shore and hiked for several hours before finding his car and notifying police.

Harris, 57, is in satisfactory condition recovering from hypothermia.

Bell was a household name in the Southwest Washington, which has seen outbreaks of several infectious disease in recent years. Just last week, Bell issued warnings about the spread of hepatitis A in the Longview area."

Agree that being hard to catch, full of strainers, having a continuous gradient, plus a well known fatality all combine to make it an unpopular run.

Having said that - I've always wanted to check it out, but at an ELF-ish level like Joe suggested, and it's just never worked out.

If things work out anything like they did with strainer-prone creek runs in the East, having a fellow boater living on the banks could help keep people up to speed on the wood situation, which will get more folks on the run, which may result in an acceleration of the natural processes that remove lethal strainers from bad spots in runs that boaters frequent.....
-Jay
LisaF
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote LisaF Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 8:07pm
Tom's death was extremely tragic; however, he and Steve were running the river upstream of the "usual" put-in (as described in the guidebooks); I think the exact spot was very near the highway 18 bridge over the river. They had portaged several logjams before getting to the one that claimed Tom's life; but (as I heard the story) were getting tired and it was getting late and they took a chance at one turn around a bend . . . I don't think anyone has run that section of river since Tom and Steve, but I'm not too sure.
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 9:35pm
Have run the Raging a few times. It's better with more flow....900 - 1500. Haven't been in on it in a few years so don't know current wood situation. There's a spot after it goes away from the road and above Cheesecrater that collects woood.   Little canyon is nice but very short.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:26am
Originally posted by JayB

AFAIK the incident was in the late 90's...

"

The man who drowned while kayaking with a friend Sunday in the Raging River near Preston was a well-known public-health official in southwestern Washington.

The body of Dr. Thomas Bell, who advocated a controversial needle-exchange program among drug addicts in Southwest Washington, was recovered yesterday after King County sheriff's deputies noticed it about 200 feet downstream from where he disappeared.

Rescuers recovered the body from mid-river, where it was caught on a snag.

Bell, 51, a public-health officer who supervised health departments in Cowlitz, Lewis and Wahkiakum Counties, lived in Seattle.

Bell and his kayaking companion, Stephen Harris, also of Seattle, were sucked into a logjam and pulled under in their separate kayaks southeast of Preston.

Harris managed to escape, made it to shore and hiked for several hours before finding his car and notifying police.

Harris, 57, is in satisfactory condition recovering from hypothermia.

Bell was a household name in the Southwest Washington, which has seen outbreaks of several infectious disease in recent years. Just last week, Bell issued warnings about the spread of hepatitis A in the Longview area."

Agree that being hard to catch, full of strainers, having a continuous gradient, plus a well known fatality all combine to make it an unpopular run.

Having said that - I've always wanted to check it out, but at an ELF-ish level like Joe suggested, and it's just never worked out.

If things work out anything like they did with strainer-prone creek runs in the East, having a fellow boater living on the banks could help keep people up to speed on the wood situation, which will get more folks on the run, which may result in an acceleration of the natural processes that remove lethal strainers from bad spots in runs that boaters frequent.....

Mr. Bell died, not on the normally run section, as Lisa pointed out, but on rarely run section of the Raging upstream from the Hwy 18 bridge. Its a steeper, creeky section of the river. More details than the Seattle times article can be found on the AW accident page:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Accident/detail/accidentid/534/

There is also another section of the river from the Hwy 18 bridge to the I-90 bridge. I ran this once with Slickhorn. That section is basically a novelty run. There were some fun rapids, but lots of wood and bushes and mank and I don't have any burning desire to run it again.

The main section of the Raging that (at least when it was cleaner) gets run often is from under the I-90 bridge in Preston to the Snoqualmie river at Fall city.

Edited by JoesKayak - 30 May 2012 at 11:28am
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 12:23pm
Bump!

Its running according to the gauge - anyone had a look-see recently?
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 1:18pm
Can't do it, yet.  My free time won't break loose until next week.  I plan to spend much of it wet.  
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 2:46pm
As my wife regularly points out, I'm a glutton for punishment...and I'm really only interested in the lower section from the bridge to the Snoqualmie.

I do like MM and the SF of the Snoqualmie, the Green, the Sky, etc, but the masochistic nature of this calls to me...sort of like big walling used to.

My approach is a low water run at first to check it out (and post new beta or warnings as appropriate) before trying to bomb down it with a higher flow and then with caution.

JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 6:41pm
I did a drive by scout back in early summer when it was pretty low. I didn't notice as much wood as a couple years ago... but then it often tends to be at the spots away from the road.

Todays flow 300-400 would have been ideal for a scouting run. Plenty filled in not to bump too much but slow enough to deal with arboreal riverbed enhancements.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 7:30pm
Joe - thanks for chiming in with the very useful information about the flow for a scouting run.

Might be worth adding to the river beta page - as that's something I'd been wondering about after hearing about the wood potential and the continuous gradient. Might help to get more intrepid souls on the river and more info out there.

In less ecologically minded places back East I noticed an inverse correlation between the traffic on wood prone runs and the length of time that wood hazards persisted on them....
-Jay
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 6:54am
Well, even though I may have to drag my boat a bit, I am planning to do a scouting run of the Raging River next week (day is, as yet, undetermined.  It may be no fun and punishing while we are doing it but we may look back upon if fondly later.  Any one interested?
slimpys
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote slimpys Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 9:21pm
We live on the river and I'm sure my BF would love to run it. He works from home, so let me know when you plan to run it. It looks clean where I live, but we're within a mile or two to where it meets the snoqualmie.
"Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment"
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 10:23pm
I have always wanted to explore that run. But, you need lots of rain to bring it up from what I have observed by scouting several sections on the way into Fall City.
Nomad
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version