Professor Paddle: Class II Boating vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Class II Boating Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
chrisncak
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chrisncak Replybullet Topic: Class II Boating
    Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:24pm
anyone interested in some class 2 boating that lives in the seattle/tacoma area? I like to hit the yo-yo section on the green.. seems like it is so dang hard to find people with the same schedule... :)just got back from idaho.... the lotchsa was so fun!!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 2:29pm
Yep.. :) I'm busy right now.. but what's your schedule. I work nights. You can call me. I think me and wattertrax are planning on doing a couple runs on thursday down yo yo.. maybe headworks too. I work nights so they would be probably around 1200 starts.
why not!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
chrisncak
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote chrisncak Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 3:09pm
great! i work nights as well in an emergency room in tacoma as a physician assistant. shifts normally start around 3 pm. need to be off river no later than 1:45. the earlier the better for me on any midweek days! schedule is different every month... i work thursday at 3P but would love to go if you do a morning- mid morning run. i drive a dodge dakota.

my paddle back ground:
- bought a medium burn last year to start my paddling career.
- paddled the chiwawa, wenachee x 3 (skirting the heavy rapids), yo-yo section on green, the powerline in falls city, lower section of skyhomish, and a few sections on the colorado in a play boat.
- hit most pool sessons this winter to practice my roll, tho, i havent needed to do a combat roll yet, i practice a lot in eddies when i get the chance
- havent done the green headworks section yet... i hear its got a drop?

phone number: 707-344-2408 (text/call)

thanks for the reply. really want to get out more now that we have longer days.

christine
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 6:34pm
I started about 8 months ago. Where did you do your pool sessions, U.P.? .. perhaps I saw you there. I've run the headworks about four times. The lower gorge (green) 2.5 times. The .5 was just doing the first part and walking back. Nisqualli twice, One not so gracefull run on the middle middle (snoqualami), The club stretch (snoqualami), railroad bridge to big eddy on the sky.. a little bit of cedar river.. and I ran yo yo twice solo because I had a boat I really wanted to get in the water. I'm sure I missed one or two.. but for the most part it's been all low level stuff.
I swear I've practically bought a used boat of craigslist for every month I've been boating. A couple were worthless. I just bought a small burn. I'm flabbergast at how stable that thing is. My first and still one of my favorite boats was/is a wavesport xxx, an oldschool playboat. Of late, my pyranha inazone 220 is what I'm using. If it's a situation where i'm unsure I use the burn. I've been down just under 20 sets of rapids. My roll... I'd say it's 60 or seventy percent. Last couple trips I haven't swam, but I don't think it's because my roll is magically gone perfect. I'm pretty new, and haven't taken any classes. I've watched a but load of you tube video's.. :) and I've had great advice from multiple people on pp. Knowing that, I'd totally understand if you wanted to catch people with more experience and perhaps some rescue training. My goal is to try and get out at least once a week in hopes the regular practice will speed up the improvement on my skills. I've been pretty active in trying to get people (especially experienced) to hit class II or III rivers. It's not easy, and it seems like the class 4 and 5 boaters are more active. There have been some great people who've taken me out.
Anyway, do you have a dry suit?   Are you still interested? ... Would you rather I let you know when we are doing a run with more experienced kayakers? Let me know.
ps ledge drops on headworks.. there is the weir and the one at the end.. (optional) They vary at different levels. They are really not that difficult, It's just more of a psychological thing.
I also recommend the nisqualli. It's actually closer than the green if your in tacoma.. and it's a good beginner run.
It sounds like a bigger run (headworks) might come together on the week end.. Otherwise, Thursday I'd be for yo yo. I'm not totally sure I ran the whole thing. It took maybe a half hour, with no messing around. It started inside the park and ended outside at a bridge. Is there anything farther down?
why not!
Tr182md
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Tr182md Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 10:00pm
I am up for it, but schedule may not mix right away. Got my boat today. Paddle is not here yet but I bought a breakdown paddle.   I work long days but weekends might be good. Eventually I will meet up with you guys!
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 4:25am
Tr182md is there a handier name you go by.., Never mind.. I checked your profile. Antony is easier to write and remember than tr182md.. :) I'm adding you to my buddy list to keep track of you. If possible, I like to get my boating in during the week so my week ends are open for my fiance' and family. But, I'm flexible. Especially flexible when I'm not getting out enough. :)    I'll try and drop you a line if I hear about trips not posted.

Edited by thad2000 - 30 May 2012 at 4:42am
why not!
Tr182md
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Tr182md Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 6:06am
Part of my problem as well. Like to do things with wife on weekends.

TR182 is the type of plane I own and I am an MD. Used to use my location but it kept changing. Venturamd, awongmd, etc. joined a bunch of forums for all the different hobbies and picked a name I could use everywhere.

Antonio is fine. Hope to get out there soon. My wife keeps finding me sitting in the kayak in the garage! I have tried several Kayaks and settled on a Jackson Kayak Zen. River runner. Probably similar to the burn but more edge less volume. Last year I was thinking Super Hero but then they came out with this true river runner. Faster, holds a line. Flew down to CA to take lessons on American river on this boat by the guy who wrote the review.
chrisncak
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote chrisncak Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 8:32am
Hey guys!

Ran the yo-yo yesterday. With a bike shuttle and 1 run with practice on combat rolling in rapids and eddie work, it took about 2.5 hours. Antonio, any chance you can go mid week? Sitting in your boat in the gargage... I gotta ask, does your wife find you making swooshing noises when you hit garage rapids? :)

I have to work this weekend in the AM, off at 4P if anybody wants to go in the afternoon, Sat or Sunday.

Thad, is Thursday set? How bout Friday?
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 10:44am
:) I haven't heard from the other guy yet, but I'm up for Thursday regardless. I get off around 4am.. and find it hard to go to bed (like a kid at Christmas) when i'm doing a run the next day. That said, the earliest I realistically get to a site is 11am. What would you like running? Friday, I'll have to do the stuff I put off to go boating Thursday :(   Perhaps afternoon on sat. or sun.. It's the day before so I'll probably just call to expedite things.
why not!
corky
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote corky Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 10:50am
Hey Thad, Pam and I would like to get out tomorrow [Thurs.] Name the time and place.
Corky
chrisncak
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote chrisncak Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:00am
I'm down for yo-yo.... trying to avoid trauma before work. :)11 AM sounds great. meet at 212 high way take out at 11A for shuttle?
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:18am
Take out for yo yo @ 11 am. Afterwards, maybe a headworks run? :)
why not!
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:20am
Corky and Pam, :) glad you could make it.
why not!
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:21am
@ chris... trauma at work, not before... check. :)
why not!
corky
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote corky Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 3:12pm
We better check water levels in the morning. Somehow, the gauge for the Headworks is at "O" feet. They might be shutting it down.
Corky
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 7:20pm
It's 952cfs and thats a great level for the Headworks section. Lots of play waves and some fun easy class II-III lines.
I may be up for the Headworks tomorrow after noon.

Edited by dave - 30 May 2012 at 7:21pm
Nomad
thad2000
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote thad2000 Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2012 at 11:35pm
Yep, 0cfs is not accurate. and I highly doubt Nisqually is 700ish..     Dave: If you do decide to go give me a call. we'll be fooling around on yo yo perhaps all the way till 1:45 I doubt it...but maybe.    after yo yo I definitely would like to do something else. Or, wait... are you just looking for free gear? lol.   Very happy you found that boat...
Anyway, I'll check my phone for messages when I'm out of the river.

Edited by thad2000 - 31 May 2012 at 8:49am
why not!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:40am
The Mm is at 2 k, so i would like to run that after work. Anyone???
Nomad
Tr182md
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Tr182md Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:53am
I can never figure out what rivers people are talking about. Yoyo, mm, etc. yoyo is somewhere on the green I think the flaming geyser park run. Where is mm?
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:20am
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 12:12pm
Sorry, lazy iphone typed.
Nomad
Tr182md
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Tr182md Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 12:23pm
I am new here so even the river names are tough. I have to look each one up.
chrisncak
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote chrisncak Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 11:55am
i get off work on sat/sun around 4. anyone interested in boating nearby tacoma after work? headworks and yo-yo runs? the green came up to 1300 from 950... that's good... it was kinda scrapy yesterday. :)
chrisncak
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote chrisncak Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 12:03pm
i just got a few extra hours on sat... I get off around 1P...
chrisncak
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote chrisncak Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 3:08pm
corky/pam, u guys want to do the South Fork of the snowqualmie on sat afternoon?
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version