Professor Paddle: lost boat on green vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: lost boat on green Post Reply Post New Topic
watertrax
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote watertrax Replybullet Topic: lost boat on green
    Posted: 24 May 2012 at 4:48pm
I took a swim at kanaskat state park and it floated into the canyon before it could get retrieved if any one is heading down could you keep an eye out for it the boat is a neon green drager mamba. The boat was last seen heading into the canyon past the last warning sign. My number is 3605071204
Thanks,
Ryan
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:08pm
Free boat? Yay!

J/K

There's PPeeps in there now......imagine their surprise!
nnln.
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:05pm
What Happened, Ryan?  Where did you swim?
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
watertrax
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote watertrax Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:16pm
Ledge drop 1. Chased it to the entrance to the gorge and stoped
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:47pm
No worries, I found it and we returned it to the rightful owner.
It was almost to Paradise! We took turns "passing the Mamba" and I carried it up to Paradise parking
That makes for two paddles and one boat in two months I have found on the Green so far.
Nomad
watertrax
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote watertrax Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 10:40pm
Thanks again you guys rock!
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 7:21am
   Glad you'll get your boat back, Ryan!  I'm curious what went wrong?  I got a bit of an explanation from Thad but would like to hear your take on it and, perhaps, what you'd do differently.    Just the curiosity of an instructor talking here, no judgment.  As they say, we're all between swims.
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 8:26am
Yeah we had fun playing "pass the Mamba" from when Dave found it to Paradise.

Where we found it, it had made it through the heart of the upper gorge way past the Nozzle and the rest of the major rapids to just below the little surf wave. This reinforces my belief that a little more water is better than a little less. At 2600 or so the boat incurred no damage to speak of. Had it been lower I'm sure it would have gotten more mangled.

Look at it this way, Watertrax- when you're ready to run the Upper Gorge, your boat will already know the way!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Mark47n

I'm curious what went wrong?  I got a bit of an explanation from Thad but would like to hear your take on it and, perhaps, what you'd do differently.    Just the curiosity of an instructor talking here, no judgment.  As they say, we're all between swims.

Dude, sh*t just happens on the river and you gotta generally just be there and experience it personally to learn much from it. Action on the river forms the building blocks to good rescue skills if you embrace it and apply yourself to the moment. Rescue is the original freestyle component of our sport.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 8:52am
To say that " sh*t just happens on the river and you gotta generally just be there and experience it personally to learn much from it"  seems insufficient.  To not analyze the series of events that led to his boat doing the upper gorge solo, the beginning of which was still pretty far away from LD 1, is to not learn from it.  But that's the point of view from someone that does root cause analysis as part of his job as well as someone who is also a professional instructor. 

I know that when I've done analysis on other incidents that the explanation that S%*t just happened doesn't make my customers happy, or help prevent it from happening in the future. 
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 11:17am
Just be glad when sh*t happens, I am there to recover all your gear!!!! Hahahahahahahahaha........
Nomad
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 11:18am
Indeed!
watertrax
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote watertrax Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 3:48pm
It happened after LD 1 and after the second attempt at a roll I pulled my skirt because I freaked out about running that next rapid upside down or swimming. That was the root cause of my boat floating down stream. The boat stayed in the current and was heading down stream fast. Thad went after it but pulled off before the collection pool right before the entrance for the gorge since he didn't know that pool existed and knew he didn't want to run gorge alone. I thought beforewe ran LD 1 that the the water after the rapid was short and swift before entering the next rapid but still decided to do LD. I tried to swim with the boat but it was just draging me down stream. I am just glad that PP people are there to rescue my gear when I F up.
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:27am
 Thanks, Ryan!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version