Professor Paddle: Upper Green (again) TODAY!! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper Green (again) TODAY!! Post Reply Post New Topic
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: Upper Green (again) TODAY!!
    Posted: 23 May 2012 at 12:42pm
Well, I can't help it:

Sweet flows once again are drawing me toward Paradise. I plan to be there at 5:15-5:30 if anyone cares to join me.

Let me know before 4pm or so, so I know if I need to bring my bike or not if I end up running solo.

Good flows, and this may be the last of it for awhile. I heard that this fall they begin another phase of work on the HH Dam, possibly restricting flows next fall and early winter. I don't know any details beyond that, other that a bird in the hand is worth two in the Devil's Club.

F**kin Birds!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 1:32pm
Im out for today, but I'm all in for tomorrow after work.

I just need to rest today.... So much water and so much kayaking is taking it's toll on me.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 1:41pm
The Green may be around 3k or higher tomorrow making for a challenging playboat run.
Nomad
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:36pm
Yeah, PPeeps are bailing, and it may be higher still tomorrow... I am now thinking of calling today off to get other stuff done, then hit it tomorrow at a higher flow!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:45pm
I can't make it today
And I've got something planned for tomorrow evening
But if flows are pushing 3k
I'm going to have a hard time staying away!!

With that said, I don't know if I'm totally in for tomorrow, but I'll be chomping at the bit trying to make up my mind.
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:47pm
Hey JP,

Can you get out there around 4 pm?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:50pm
So-- the question now is, who is game for thursday? Its 2500 now, and could be over 3k tomorrow. Who's down? Where are all those class III boaters who know the Green at "normal" flows and want to "step it up" to class IV?

3000-3200 are still reasonable flows. Getting pushier, for sure, but the lines and features are recognizably the same. Just a little bigger. Honestly surprised how much attendence falls off when it gets into the 3000+ range. I still consider it medium high. Maybe on the high end of medium high. Like Dave says: challenging in a play boat. But you know what? Its awesome in a creekboat. You don't really want to swim out there when its that high, its true. You need to believe in your roll and hopefully not get knocked over so eady, and at those upper flows you need to drive your boat to where it needs to be a bit.

Let me know if you are interested. I know all the lines at the various flows. Not going out today. Gonna wait and see if the water comes up. And I'm bringing my bike in case there are no takers.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by septimus prime

Hey JP,

Can you get out there around 4 pm?

No, I'm locked into 5:15. I suppose there's a possibility but I can't say for sure till tomorrow. maybe I'll shoot ya a text tonight. Maybe Chipper will want to go again...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:13am
Bump. So it didn't hit 3k- I doubt it will but it could. Where's everyone at schedule wise? Who's in?

Septimus- would you be able to do a 5:15?
Thats the earliest I can be on the scene, and what Dave n I were planning on (what's the world coming to when D4 and jP are boating together on a regular basis?! It just goes to show that the river brings peeps together)
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:27am
Then there are those lobbying for a 6pm meet. I think they are going to try to double down and do the Tilton.

I would potentially bend to accomodate such a noble cause- but then I'd be pissed if the Tilton faction flaked later on. If we move the Paradise meet to 6pm, yall Tilton'ers better show.

Septimus is granted with veto power. If he says 5:15, its 5:15. The man has responsibilities.

As Oscar pointed out,
I'm game to lead anyone down who otherwise might be a little tentative provided they have adequate class III+ experience, a solid roll, and a game face. Likely I would have such a person follow someone else, because I will be hitting a lot of "simulated class IV" lines. I'd provide beta above the key rapids and keep a sharp eye out if there's action. If there is a swim I will be on it.

Nature Slalom:
More advanced boaters are encouraged to bring creekboats and follow my array of more advanced lines. Gauanteed to sharpen any boater's skills, no matter how long you been boating. The Upper Green is fantastic because you can choose class III lines almost the entire way (except maybe Mercury/Nozzle) or you can find what I call "simulated class IV" lines through many of the easier rapids that most boaters would rate III. Hell, if you go for the tall boof in the "Secret Class IV" rapid, you basicly get a class V move in a class IV- setting. Of course, above 2500 cfs that move is getting stompy.

If I had to be exiled to only one class III/IV run in Washington, this would be it (except it rarely runs). I could totally keep my class V chops up just paddling this over and over. Any boaters who are on that III/IV cusp should rally today. Its flowing about 2700 now and I doubt it will rise. In flow looks to be up there around 3k tho- what do you think it'll be doing by the end of the day, Dave?

Edited by jP - 24 May 2012 at 7:52am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:40am
I just woke up. I'm in for 5:15. 6 is getting kinda late.
It's a great fun playboat run at this level for sure.
Nomad
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:25pm
not gonna make it......
nnln.
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:42pm
I hear the birds calling... i can make 5, i can also make 415 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 4:22pm
Sorry I couldn't get online all day. Work is a circus. But I am on for 5:15pm TODAY!!!

Take me down to the Paradise City where the lines are Green and the F**kin birds are pretty oh wont you please take me home

(Axle Rose was a junior worlds slalom hopeful in Indiana once upon a time- bet you didn't know that)
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version