Professor Paddle: Wenatchee area creeking vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Wenatchee area creeking Post Reply Post New Topic
jerf
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jerf Replybullet Topic: Wenatchee area creeking
    Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:59pm
I am coming from Portland headed to the Leavenworth area for Memorial day weekend. Does anyone have recent wood/flow info for the Little Wenatchee or Nason creek? Ingalls creek? Peshastin? Icicle? I know that some of these correlate better than others with the Wenatchee gauge based on how high up the drainage they are and whether the river is rising or falling. Just interested to see whether anyone had been out on these runs this season.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 9:24pm
Yesterday ingals peshastin had decent water(medium ish), lower icicle felt high but good, no wood issues on either...today things were coming up, Nason gorge had a piece of wood by the creek waterfall and was high, money was high and is choked with wood
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:13am
I heard on Sunday that, currently, their is a locked gate blocking access to the Little Wenatchee.
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:13am
Has anyone run Little Wenatch this year? Does it still have the wood issue from last year? ...I mean besides the gate :P

How do you access Icicle above Ida Creek? There was a road washout yesterday at the Ida Creek campground sign...is that the road you normally take?

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:23am
Adam, last I looked (from a road scout) Money was not choked with wood.  It looked as clean as I've ever seen it... about two weeks ago.  Should be a good level now (right now!)

Nobody that I've heard of has been into LilChee yet. 

Flow info: 
Nason look for 5-6k on Wenatchee @pesh
Little Chee look for 7-9k on "  "
Icicle Lower 6k-10k on Chee @pesh (low-high)
Ingalls/Pesh - i don't know... but if Wenatchee @ Pesh is above 10k then your good to go there. 
All these flows can be cross referenced with the DOE guages:

And it does make a difference if levels are going up or down, depending on weather.  That can have an impact on whats going on in the drainages way upstream of the guage at Peshatin on Wenatchee. 

Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 11:18am
Thanks!

For Money though, that's what we thought late yesterday. We could only see two spots with wood that were pretty far up on the run, almost everything roadside looked good. Everything that wasn't roadside had tons of wood in it. It was a huge tease!
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 12:47pm
We were in Nason 3 weeks ago. 6,000cfs on the Wenatchee and it was free of wood. Where exactly was the wood that you noticed?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:07pm
When you hike down from the old bridge (upstream of the existing rail bridge), and the waterfall comes in on river left, there was a large log in there in the middle, it looked avoidable on the left also there were eddies above it, but it was not in an ideal spot at the high flow. Again, the creek looked high(much higher than in the photos on this site) and it was the first time I'd ever looked at it, maybe it isn't in play at regular levels. We thought at regular levels it would probably be something to look out for not knowing the lines however. The entire remainder of the gorge was clean.
cmellon
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cmellon Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 4:47pm
The lower gate (just past 2 Rivers Sand and Gravel) on the Little Wenatchee was locked this weekend and according to the ranger there is still deep snow just a couple miles beyond the gate. It's still probably 10 miles to the put in from there so hiking in isn't an option yet. Once it opens I'll take a look and report road and wood issues but I'm not too optimistic after last year. Hopefully the road hasn't completely collapsed, I'm guessing there isn't a huge budget to repair it.
We hiked maybe 3/4 mile up Ingalls again this weekend and it was relatively clean but a bit low - 2 pieces of wood, both visible from shore and avoidable on the water. It was a little slower paced than last year but more rock bashing which isn't my favorite. A little more water would be good but I imagine it gets cranking real quick.
brianmaier
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote brianmaier Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:56pm
The Entiat is worthy and ultra clean last year
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:37pm
Thanks for sharing the wood reports Adam... I wasn't aware of the changes in Money and your the first I've heard of getting on that run this year.  More work for wood beavers. 

Hopefully the Little Chee gate is gets opened soon.  Next weekend might be a good time to check things out. 

Yeah, I'd really like to rally back up to the Entiat sometime this Spring.  It's a haul but that 1m canyon stretch is a real gem.  I did that right around 1k a couple yrs ago and that seemed like a good medium. 
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:26pm
It's funny, I talked to my buddy here who ran Money last year and he couldn't believe it had wood issues...whereas I have trouble picturing it clean!

..and yeah Ingalls did seem a bit low this last weekend, but still higher than the only other time I'd ran it I think..how high have people hiked up it in the past?
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version