Professor Paddle: Foam or Airbag for feet? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Foam or Airbag for feet? Post Reply Post New Topic
mattwave
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mattwave Replybullet Topic: Foam or Airbag for feet?
    Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:42am
Getting back into boating, outfitting has changed in the feet since my days. Trying to decide to stay with the airbag in my new boat or foot foam for playing and running? 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:25am
Both take up space in the bow and give you something to leverage your legs off of. However, the air bags tend to shift when really pressing on one foot or the other causing your feet to be not so "happy". If you can shape layers of foam to fit securely in your bow that will be your best bet.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:58am
different strokes for different boats.

jackson play boats work really well with the happy feet!
nice thing about happy feet, is that my own physical flexibility changes from week to week so it is nice to be able to easily adjust my happy feet.

just depends on the boat. for example my older pyrahna inazone wont accomdate happy feet because the hull is too big in the front, so i have to go with foam for that boat.

shaping foam aint too hard and can yield good results for sure.

im not sure how the happy feet work in other boats, but they are sweet in my jackson playboat for sure!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:04pm
Everything sucks, I have never found a good system. The Happy feet are sometimes happy...for the most part...until they shift or get compacted too much from pushing my feet into them, then you have to mess with them for a while to get it right again...if ever...
Nomad
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:11pm
Foam doesn't deflate (compress a little, but it'll never pop like a ballon).
nnln.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:15pm
Foam is hard to get just right too...unless your really good at it like some people. Dave Moroles is really good at outfitting with foam...it is like an art to him. But when I try, it looks like a rat made a home in my boat and it is not pretty....
Nomad
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:33pm
It's hard to pop the happy feet. Are people not Sucking the air out of them? I have a feeling some people use them improperly. Nonetheless, I dislike the happy feet for reason of shifting around. Right now I have a small amount of foam as I don't need much with my feet already crammed in there.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 1:30pm
Its all about the foam, if you ask me. Never been into having "Happy Feet", or a "Happy Seat", ect. I guess I'm not very Happy. I've never been a fan of smiley faces either. Too many people artificially inflate a sense of percieved happiness. But alas, we live in a world that is also filled with Sorrow and Pain. It seams as if many people are "shirking their load", thus leaving others of us to overcompensate with an equally artificial outlook of how grim the world really is.

But, this is certainly off topic. A subject for philosophers, phsycho therapists, and authors of self help books.

The bottom line:

Its all about the foam. Firm, grounding purchase for the feet, which, even in a boat, perhaps especially in a boat, should remain planted in reality.

Then again- is reality a very firm and solid "thing"???
Some people who boat Jackson playboats dig their happy feet. It makes sense since it is a system designed to work together. It is ultimately preference. I just like a firm footbed to push against. It is one constant, regardless of the style of kayaking I am doing or type of kayak I am paddling.

And while happyness is a state of mind that requires me great effort to maintain, the satisfaction provided by a nicely sculpted block of mini cel foam is infinite.

My advice: be patient and do it right. If you got to bust out a quick and dirty one to swap out while you work on the ULTIMATE FOOTBLOCK, do it. But if the footblock is patiently and accuratwly sculpted, when its finished you will forget all about it, which is what you want. The
alternative is a half assed effort that will make your paddling a more frustrating experience, and you'll be reminded of your sh*tty footblock and hastey attempt every time you try to double pump.

Of course, you may not care that much. You may not wish to double pump at all. You may just want to float along in peaceful tranquility and listen to the birds. F**kin Birds!! Ha! Thats just a joke. I just know that often it is sloppy outfitting that rests between me and my potential performance. Good outfitting allows me to wear my boat as an extension of my body, and thus is worth untold hours of time and attention. When I feel one with my boat, I feel one with the river.
Than happiness is an easy place to be.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 1:35pm
f**king birds
mattwave
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mattwave Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 2:26pm
Thanks for the info, I picked up a superstar with the happyfeet and seat, I already ditched the seat, but was unsure if I would like the feet, I used to be good with the foot foam so I will most likely ditch the feet too, I wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something questioning the feet.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 3:41pm
Happiness and existential considerations aside, there may be something to be said for trying out the happy feet for a bit to see if you dig them. Maybe you just need to get used to them.

Surprised a certain Wacko on this forum hasn't weighed in on this matter. With the Happy Seat it always looked wrinkly. I was worried it would give me weird wrinkle marks on my ass after boating in it. Us kayakers who've raft guided extensively are wary of "Boat Butt", the raft guide's achilles heel. But peeps seem to like there Jackson accessories, its true. I haven't tried any such products. The smiley face scared me away.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:17pm
To weigh in on the Sweet Cheeks (some refer to it as Happy seat, which is a different accessory itself which sits under the thighs and you blow up and keep the air in opposed to sucking it off), I ditched the factory Sweet Cheeks 100 and went with the 150. Has 50% more beans and a smooth fabric. I like it much more. I also use the Happy Seat under my thighs in my play boat. In a creek boat, I have foam blocks under my knees which serve as basically the same function.

I do not have the Happy Thruster which is the nice bulge Wacko sports protruding from his skirt. This accessory ties to the Happy Seat (again, under the thighs) and makes Wacko appear "Happy."

Anyways, thought I'd share just some more of my playboat outfitting incase others were wondering. Even if it's off-topic...I mean, JP writes several novels per thread, right?

Edited by Blair - 21 May 2012 at 6:22pm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Blair

...which sits under the thighs and you blow up and keep the air in opposed to sucking it off

Wait- just what are you talking about here, Blair?!

Has 50% more beans and a smooth fabric. I like it much more.

Sounds like something D1 would like also. He likes beans.

I do not have the Happy Thruster which is the nice bulge Wacko sports protruding from his skirt. This accessory ties to the Happy Seat (again, under the thighs) and makes Wacko appear "Happy."

And I just thought he was "happy" to see me.

JP writes several novels per thread, right?

You have yet to read my Opus, Blair!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
mattwave
Paddler
Paddler

Quote mattwave Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 7:46pm
Sounds likes outfitting has changed since 10 years ago a bit, guess the tossing ends and spins playtime is a thing of the past eh. I will try the seat and feet pillows for a bit, I am already missing the rodeo seat...again

Finally Paragliding weather sucks ;) just in time for some swollen river action.

BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:29pm

Foam is the way to go if you are serious about boat control

all the new outfitiing systems are junk , nothing compairs to custom shaped hip pads, foot foams, thigh braces ext ext

first thing i did with the last new boat i bought was rip out all the fancy new outfitting and hand craft some sweet custom foam

carving out custom foam pads takes alot of time, and some people dont have the willingness or skill to do it , but its realy the way to go

the only reason i would keep any of the funky new ajustable crap in a boat is if i planed on letting multiple people use it or if i was to lazy to make it fit me right

outfitting has changed alot in the last 10 years, but not for the better, i would rather see new boat prices come down and the cockpit empty and rdy for custom foam,  i dont wana pay for all the crappy outfitting they put in boats these days

kayaking has never been an off the shelf sport, you have to invest time learning to roll and getting some river skills .... and you should invest time in custom fitting your boat also

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version