Professor Paddle: Jackson Superstar alternatives comparable boats? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Jackson Superstar alternatives comparable boats? Post Reply Post New Topic
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NateW Replybullet Topic: Jackson Superstar alternatives comparable boats?
    Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:10pm
Well I did something stupid today. I borrowed a friend's superstar and well now I really want one. This was my first time in anything other than my 4fun for playboating and it was awesome. The boat was more fun surfing and getting down the river. What other boats should I seek out? I really like my 4fun, but maybe it's time to move on. Primarily will get used on the Wenatchee and maybe a skook trip once a year. I really like boats that I can find used since I'm terminally cheap.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
gmkayaker
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote gmkayaker Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:51am
Wavesport Project-X 57is very similar. Rear deck is slightly higher volume. Both roll really easily.

Gerard
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:21pm

Might try the large Rock Star.  I had a Superstar considered this my river runner playboat.  I have since sold it and bought a rockstar... is a hole bait surf machine.  I've never boated a 4 fun, but had a Riot booster, and the Super star offered the same control and stability,  but it was a great surf boat.  I almost regret selling mine because the Rockstar is more on the playboat spectrum. 

I believe the Crackson's were pre 2007, mine was a 2008 crosslink boat that was bomber.  I miss that boat.

Kirk
Kirk B
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:53am
I got to try out a large rockstar last night - also a good boat. It definitely was more focused on playboating than the superstar. Harder to roll and really got pushed around when running downriver. I think at my ability level that the superstar is probably a better fit for me. Both surfed pretty great for me, but the superstar had virtually no downsides. Can anyone compare the older superstar w/ the newer one? I just paddled the older one.

Edited by n8r78 - 23 May 2012 at 8:54am
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:35pm
Someone already mentioned the Wavesport Project X series as Star series competition, what about the Pyranha Molan? I just picked one up on the used market and am really enjoying it coming from the Fun/Fuse/Varun style river running playboats I've been paddling the last few years. I'm really digging the Molan. I was surprised how well it ran the Upper Green the day after the clean up (1900cfs+). Surfs great, cartwheels readily, good pop, and comfy!
nnln.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:39am
Just got another day in the Rockstar - have to admit the boat is growing on me. The way that it runs a river is pretty fun because it requires so much more attention than my 4fun and the superstar I tried. The challenge I've found with it is the thing is so damn slow that I am paddling for all I'm worth far more often than in my 4fun / superstar. I think if I bought this rockstar - its for sale actually - I'd feel like I'd want to keep my 4fun for certain stuff. For stuff like the tieton / skykomish / skookumchuck I could see the advantage of having a longer faster boat that is more stable but isn't a creek boat. The superstar felt like enough of a boat that could still handle more river running and still play well.

I'll see if I can try out that wavesport project X boat - Sandy (no idea if he posts here) has a project x 65 and wants a rockstar. I have no idea if he's looking to sell his projectx but maybe I can work out some sort of deal like that.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 1:23pm
Grinch - thanks for the req on the Molan - it's being sold on for $700 to my door from the great world wide web. I couldn't resist - from the reviews it will be basically the same boat as the allstar. I like the outfitting of the burn so it will work out great.
NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 6:09am
Well I got the new boat - and I really like it. It's definitely a different feeling boat than either the Jacksons I've paddled recently. The main feature of the boat is that it's pretty damn fast. I was able to paddle back onto Grannys last night in a spot where I'm pretty sure I would have just washed off in either the Rockstar or the Superstar.

Out of the box it's pretty comfortable for me at 5'10 and I've made no real changes to outfitting because I just got it yesterday. It felt to me like the Superstar spins more easily and is less edgy. The Molan was definitely easier to frontsurf on large fast waves. The edges of the boat allowed me to better control where I wanted to be. The Molan also feels a bit lighter than the Superstar. I was able to paddle both boats last night so it was easy to compare the two. I think for my ability level it will serve me just as well as a superstar would.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version