Professor Paddle: Green River Fatality vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Green River Fatality Post Reply Post New Topic
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Topic: Green River Fatality
    Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:48am

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 1:21pm
Brian, thanks for pointing that out (about the low water line).
Very sad indeed to lose one of our own.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by slickhorn

There's a discussion here : http://professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12011&PID=66460#66460

Local whitewater veteran and member of WRRR was the victim.  No firm details, but sounds like he wrapped a raft at the nozzle and was killed before his party could get rescue support to him. 

Really sad. 

I know a lot of y'all disdain the run the green below 2000 or so, but as it drops, you'll notice the majority of water goes left-to-right into the sieve.  The lazy line at the nozzle that works at 2k is trouble at lower flows.  run it left-to-right not right-to-left.

Just so this is clear in my head - is this sieve on the far left at the nozzle? Any distinguishing features?

I can also recall hearing about an entrapment hazard on the far right, but can't recall seeing/noticing that one either.
-Jay
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 4:09pm
Hey Brian:

Thanks for the very helpful description and the photo! This is the best description of the hazard I've encountered to date, and deserves to be made part of the run description if that's possible.
-Jay
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 4:33pm
JayB-
I'm not sure about a seive on the left. I do know that the far river right slot has claimed the life of another rafter. Flow was 1250, here is a link: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Accident/detail/accidentid/600/

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 5:17pm
The left slot is usually clear, but not really big enough to fit a raft through unless it is over 3K. The middle slot is where everyone usually runs. The right slot is best to avoid as it is a seive, look at my low water photos of the section. Usually, you just stay left and ride the current in and it will take you right through. What messes everyone up is that gaurd rock on the left of center right after Murcury and right before the Nozzle, you really want to just pass it as close as possible and it will line you up for the Nozzle. Pass the guard on the right side, then line up for the middle slot(Nozzle).
Confused yet?
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 8:03pm
I've only guided a raft on the green 3 times (paddle raft), and I usually take the like that Slickhorn is advising against, but this is mostly because I like being able to charge with forward momentum through the slot with left hand angle. This usually means having to set up above the center rock before making my move left.

But as a paddle guide I usually end up coming through Mercury hot and having to backpaddle away from a large boulder upstream of the nozzle on river left before calling my forward command and driving through the nozzle.

I've never head issues with this move but that doesn't make it the preferred move. Again as a paddle guide I've always liked the way the right to left move set me up to get between the rocks and have always perceived that if I were to drive left to right I would either bounce off the center rock or broach in the slot. Next time I'm down there I'm going to take a better look at the move and see what other options are out there.

Slick, when you use that left to right move what craft are you in? I'm curious of how different crafts would approach running this rapid. For example I usually like catching a low eddy right above the Nozzle then drive left to right and catch the center eddy in my kayak.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:07pm
I know exactly what you're saying, Slick- The other week I put on early enough to have Brunch at the Nozzle: scrambled eggs and fried summer sausage w/ my gourmet cowboy coffee--umm-MMM!

Anyway, I got to see a catboat or two come through on the left to right-ish line you are describing. They straightened the angle out and ended up crossing the eddy line in the center a little below the Nozzle. Made it look smooth and stylish. Then again, with oars you have a better chance to align yourself how you want by slowing down.

When I was out there guiding my 7 load on Cleanup weekend, (Slick- I think you and Joe saw me come through), I swung wide like Jed was describing. More akin to my kayak line. I had the right to left thing going, which lined me up with the angle of the chute going through the Nozzle. It was fine, but if I had a bunch of surly jP clones on the bank w/ score cards I woulda given my line an 8 out of 10 at best. Maybe a 7, because I was surprised and dissapointed how much my raft got up on that center rock. I mean, it went fine, and had there been carnage, it would have all spilled through the main chute. But still... Its easy to see how being 5 more feet too far right would become a problem. I have seen rafts get plugged up in that dreadful right slot before.

Edited by jP - 15 May 2012 at 11:10pm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:47pm
And, Brian- if you want to tinker w/ the Nozzle Description, by all means do. Between myself, Jed, Joe and James, You know we all trust your judgement.

Yes that right slot is a hazard, particularly at the medium low to lower flows when the undercut/sieve is exposed. While we are discussing undercuts and sieves it is worth noting that the two terms are not necessarily interchangeable. But they often are characteristicly grouped together. What I mean is that some undercuts are squeaky clean. I have had the misfortune to swim under a few and the fortune of popping up on the other side. Some seives are on the surface. A kayaker in a boat may broach, pin, even get stuffed into it a ways and still have his/her head above water.

This undercut/sieve we are discussing is hazardous because of the combination of the two: that is to say that the rock flanking the River Right side of the rapid and the right side of the right-most chute is not only undercut, but also sieved out underneath it. Here is where terminology matters somewhat. Because it is by articulating ourselves and communicating clearly as whitewater enthusiasts that we can hopefully reduce the hazards for each other.

But, as we can see, even an experienced rafter who knew the run got tripped up enough to get into the worst kind of trouble. So like Slick said it always comes back to awareness followed by action. Even then, the river is inherrently wild.

The "Take Away" for the kayakers that I would like to see them absorb is this:

The most hazardous scenario I see for a kayaker over on that right side is most likely to be if a kayaker is swimming above it. Or, a playboat going into it upsidedown at the wrong (lower) water level. Having said that, at higher flows above 2500 or so, that right hand slot starts to become more viable (in kayaks) provided it is free of woody debris (wood does tend to chock up there). So this hazard is water level specific to a large degree. At flows above 4500 it can be a viable sneak route around the main line, which starts to get burly. So it is important to try to remain objective. Easier said than done tough in the wake of such a tragedy.

I'm mournful that we lost a fellow boater, and I'd like to think he would want us to continue to enjoy these rivers we love. That he would hope we could redouble our efforts to be safe, and to look out for each other even more than we might have last week. To heighten our awareness and our skills- from boatmanship to rescue. Easier said than done, but important that we strive for it. We have to each strive to stay a step ahead of doom. For ourselves, for each other, and for the ones we love who are on dry land while we pursue our watery endeavors.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:48am
Now I'm confused....
Nomad
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by slickhorn

at 750 cfs or so. The nozzle was harder than any other flow I've seen, though I haven't seen it over 5k.
-b

Originally posted by jP

At flows above 4500 it can be a viable sneak route around the main line, which starts to get burly.

At 5500 the right side is one of the last places on earth I want to visit again.  I had someone tell me this exact thing and thought I'd be okay there... I was but right after that are 3 bus swallowing holes.  I was lucky and paddling a lot better then than now... and came out seeing stars.  I'll never forget holding onto the underbrush on the side of the river somewhere downstream with fresh memories of being parallel parked in 2 of the biggest holes I've ever seen.

At high flows get out on the left far above (before Mercury) and scout.  I didn't try hard enough to make that eddy and MAN is that river cooking at those levels.  I thought I'd be okay... I almost wasn't.

The Green gets run a lot at many levels, this was a tragedy and thank you everyone for keeping this discussion on helping us understand what happened and keeping it positive.  It doesn't take much sometimes for a missed line to turn bad.
H2O please
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Travisimo

At 5500 the right side is one of the last places on earth I want to visit again.  I had someone tell me this exact thing and thought I'd be okay there... I was but right after that are 3 bus swallowing holes.  I was lucky and paddling a lot better then than now... and came out seeing stars.  I'll never forget holding onto the underbrush on the side of the river somewhere downstream with fresh memories of being parallel parked in 2 of the biggest holes I've ever seen.

Well it isn't a gimme at that flow. You have to PADDLE. HARD. And stay on line which means after running that chute on R. Right you have to book it hard to the left half of the river to find your line through the "Hand Of God" zone. That right spout wanted to reel me back in when I ran it at 6500 or 5500 or whichever day that was. But I wasn't about to let it. We had been eddying out on River Right for those high water trips because it is a big eddy. Not necessarily because its easy to catch. Yes it is cookin from Mercury through LMAD. If you did eddy out on R. Left, it would be easier to scout a sneak line over there against the Left Bank.

Keep in mind that the regular Nozzle line starts to open up again (somewhat) above 7K. Somewhere between 5000-6500 seems to be the worst level for the Nozzle as far as a more seamless riverwide ledge hole goes. But, this is off topic now and probably should be on a seperate thread.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version