Professor Paddle: Best Rescue PFD vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Best Rescue PFD Post Reply Post New Topic
sbeck206
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sbeck206 Replybullet Topic: Best Rescue PFD
    Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:57am
I am in the market for a new PFD and figure it's time to step up to a Rescue PFD (and take a swiftwater course). I was looking at the Astral Greenjacket and the Stohlquist Descent, but am open to other suggestions. I tried on the Descent at Kayak Academy today and it seems to fit quite nicely with plenty of storage. In your opinion, what is the best rescue PFD? How does it perform in real life rescue situations? Does it have enough storage for equipment, tow tethers, etc.

Thanks!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
phil
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote phil Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:21pm
Those are both good choices. I wear a green jacket and like it.

It fits very well and I think gives you more freedom of motion than other vests. On the other hand, it's not very floaty for a rescue vest.

There's not a ton of storage space but there's always been enough for my needs. I keep pin kit hardware in the side pockets, tether on the breakaway loop on the front, randoms in the front pocket.

I've jugged a rope on the full strength loop at the bottom. It blew out some stitching holding some foam in place but the loop was bomber. Haven't been vertically extracted in an emergency but would feel good about it after that experience. Then I sent the vest to Astral and they repaired the stitching for free and sent it back to me. Their customer service is awesome.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:10pm
I don't like the side pockets on the Astral since they come unzipped, at least on mine, which is a few years old.  Other than that, I like it.

Haven't tried the others.
Sam_Graftton
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Sam_Graftton Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:17pm
I like the Kokatat Ronin Pro. It's a low profile vest and I think it has 1 more pound of buoyancy than the Green Jacket.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:34pm
Dito what Sam said: I like the Kokatat Ronin. Low prifile. Never prefered Astrals, due to their "prosthetic beer gut" design. Sometimes I guy's gotta climb into a raft, or over some rock.
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 7:54am
I'm also a fan of the Kokatat Ronin Pro. Enough storage, lots of flotation, maintains good dexterity and full range of motion. The least restrictive rescue PFD I've used.
I've got one in good shape I'd sell ya for $110.

Darren
253 549three945

sbeck206
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote sbeck206 Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:40pm
Big thanks to everyone for all the info. I decided on the Ronin Pro, can't wait to give it a try next weekend!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version