Professor Paddle: Lochsa River Pilgrimage vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Lochsa River Pilgrimage Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fish Replybullet Topic: Lochsa River Pilgrimage
    Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:34pm
Hey paddlers,

Ellie, Chris and I are planning to be at the Lochsa River this year over Memorial Day weekend (May 25-28th)  right after some multidays trips earlier in the month.

I wanted to put the word out in hopes of getting more people to join us over there.  We'll be camping at the free campground accross from "Wilderness Gateway Campground"  right on the Lochsa River.

We'll be there early to rope off an area for friends that plan on coming over, and would love to see some of you come out and join us for the long weekend.

Mark your calendars!

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:06pm
  Idaho !!!!!   Land of big water, multi-day rivers, beautiful remote wilderness and hot springs.. lots and lots of hot springs !!!

Get the car pools organized and join us for sure !! its such a fun party with friends from Montana and everywhere coming to the Lochsa. Really fun BIG friendly whitewater.....and did I mention hot springs !!

First beers on scott and I if you make it ...... (sh*t , watch now 30 people come)
PaddleGirl
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaddleGirl Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:39pm
I totally thought this post was going to be Emily's!!

I'm thinkin' about it....
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
edickerson2
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote edickerson2 Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:14pm
Anyone, please... let's go to the Lochsa! Rally!!!!
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:49pm
what's the closest town to Lochsa?
edickerson2
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote edickerson2 Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:22pm
The closest "larger" town is Grangeville (we're talking rural Idaho here people), which is like an hour before you hit the Lochsa. The closest tiny town is Kooskia, ID, probably. Missoula is about 2 hours in the opposite direction. Would love a ride if anyone is headed out there!!
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:20pm

ill be heading out to the Lochsa on memorial day weekend .... but i think i may stay longer then the weekend .... gona hit up some play parks and other runs also....may be out for 2 weeks not sure yet, depends on work

the closest town is actualy Lowel  but its hard to call it a town... all it has is a gas station ,   a dinner  and the three rivers campground ... its right at the confluence of the lochsa and the selway

i sure love the lochsa .... its bigwater playboating paradice .. i cant wait
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:32pm

hey fish,  just so ya know 2 years ago when i was at the free campground  a ranger stoped by and he told me that the may need to close that area or make it a fee site due to overuse/ missuse 

and the other day some folks from hoodriver told me that it is closed now , just a rumor but you may wana have a back up camp site just incase the rumor is true

see ya out there !!
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:50am
Well the good news is I was there last year and it was still open with no rangers....  My friends from Missoula are heading up again this year with us and they have never had any issues there... It's a huge space !!! let's keep our fingers crossed.......
WhiteWaterWheat
Paddler
Paddler

Quote WhiteWaterWheat Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:21pm
It would be so great to see some Washington faces on the Lochsa! Come rally for the weekend! How can you beat big water fun and river festivals? We'll stake out a spot, so just come find us at the Free camping spot Scott mentioned or hit us up on the way. Stoked!

-Ellie
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 5:54pm
I hate to be retarded, but could someone map the route out for me. for instance. from Seattle get on 90 east, then head to Yakima or Spokane? etc... my wife and I are considering this trip so we're crunching numbers and trying to figure gas cost. you know how it is.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:02pm
Ellie, you mentioned river festival? Is there a river festival near the Lochsa on Memorial Day weekend? By-the-way, is this the same Ellie I boated with on the Green a few weeks back?
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:07pm
Hey Oscar,  Check out this American Whitewater link  http://americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/570/
All the info you could want,  including directions,  are on the link above.   Its about 400 miles or so to the Wilderness Gateway area from Seattle. 
A long ways to go, but worth it.   Its a classic!

Edited by Fish - 08 May 2012 at 7:23pm
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:15pm
wow! that's a great website. Thanks.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by osmelendez

I hate to be retarded, but could someone map the route out for me. for instance. from Seattle get on 90 east, then head to Yakima or Spokane? etc... my wife and I are considering this trip so we're crunching numbers and trying to figure gas cost. you know how it is.

The most direct route is:

Mileage starting at the 405/I-90 interchange for reference

I-90 East - 127 miles
Cross Columbia RIver & immediately after:
Merge onto WA Hwy 26 - continue 133 miles
At Colfax turn onto US Hwy 195 South - continue approx 50 miles
At bottom of Lewsiton grade merge onto Hwy 12 (for the next 12 miles or so the Hwy will continue as both 12 and 195)
12 Miles past Lewiston, stay on Hwy 12 (not 195)
Continue another 112 miles

Kooskia will be the last town of any size if you want to get gas/food etc.

25 miles or so past Kooskia you'll pass the confluence of the Lochsa/Selway and 3 Rivers Resort.

In another 25 miles you'll come to the turn off  for Wilderness Gateway camp. It's a right turn and goes over a bridge. The camp Fish is hoping to be at is right before that.

HOWEVER!

If you've never made this drive, a slightly more complicated and much more scenic drive I would suggest you do either going or coming is as follows.... and allows a easy side trip to check out Palouse Falls. And... it takes about the same amount of time. (except that you'll be hanging at Palouse a while.

I-90 East - 127 miles
Cross Columbia RIver & immediately after:
Merge onto WA Hwy 26 - continue 42 miles
Turn right to merge onto WA Hwy 17 S towards Pasco - continue 13.7 Miles
Turn LEFT onto WA Hwy 260 E - Continue 31.5 miles
Turn RIGHT onto WA-261 S (the scenic Starbuck highway) in 8.7 miles turn left into Palouse Falls State Park for a little stop then continue on 261 for 20.6 more miles
Turn left onto US Hwy 12 - Continue 50 miles to Clarkston

When you get to Clarkston, either just stay on Hwy 12 the rest of the way if you want to stop and get gas/groceries in Clarkston/Lewiston or if you want to bypass these cities, Cross the Red Wolf bridge as you enter Clarkston as shown below:

Turn left on 15th ST - which becomes ID Hwy 128 as you cross the Red Wolf bridge into Idaho
At the end of the Bridge turn RIGHT onto ID Hwy 128 E - cont. 3.8 miles
Continue onto US Hwy 12 - Keep on Hwy 12 the rest of the way.

Hope this helps

Either route is about 420 miles from 405/i90.

Edited by JoesKayak - 08 May 2012 at 8:59pm
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:23pm
Good call to stop and check out Palouse Falls. Very scenic. Good directions too.   One additional add to shave a little time is to stay on Hwy 26 until Hatton Road which drops down to Kahlotus, where you make a left towards Washtucna and then the right turn onto Hwy 261 to the falls and then Starbuck.   Lochsa is great!
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:01pm
Thanks for the stellar routing. I'll definitely let you know if this works out for us.
chuckj
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote chuckj Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:45pm
Unless things have changed in the tears since I was out there, there's great camping along Fishcreek.
melger
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote melger Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 7:58am
The gf and I are planning to make the trek out for some Lochsa action!  We probably won't know until the week of on what time we will be leaving, but we may be interested in some carpool action. 
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:34pm
what's a reasonable carpool rate? That's a legitimate question right? For me the number one perk is meeting people and establishing a community of boaters for a short road trip adventure and river run. But, one of the obvious upsides is that everyone shares the gas burden. Any thoughts on this?
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 4:43pm
let's say your vehicle is a gas guzzler like mine, but it's reliable, will hold like 4 people fairly comfortably (could do five), and all their food, and all their boats and boat gear. Round trip is 860 miles. At 13 miles to the gallon thats 66.15 gallons. 66.15 gallons at $4.40 per gallon is like $291. (this post is making me laugh by the way). Okay so if I ask for $50 dollars is that too much? My wife and I pay the majority of the gas bill because we'd be making the trip anyway. Is $50 dollars too low?
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 5:16pm
I say we pool our money and get this 72 passenger Bus...  Its up for aution ending tomorrow.   currently $1400

Kirk B
JD_G
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote JD_G Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 5:39pm
Good folks should be okay with splitting the cost of gas evenly amongst the group. On a bigger trip like this it's sometimes easier for each person to pay for a tank as the trip progresses. Settle up any differences at the end.

Like the idea of the old bus, but bet it gets worse mileage than Oscars truck.
osmelendez
McNasty
McNasty

Quote osmelendez Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 7:52pm
LOL! on the passenger bus!
edickerson2
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote edickerson2 Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 9:48pm
Ok guys, so split the gas equally in all directions... because your car will be the one taking the beating with boaters and gear, etc. Everyone splits gas equally? That's at least what I want to do if I ride with someone (or if we take my car...)

Good math though... very detailed of you! Are people rallying?!? I love the sound of this!!! Lochsa rally!!! Big water, hot springs (there are a couple good ones), and for the ladies, Idaho and Montana eye candy. That's right, there is nothing to get you ladies going like a good old flannel and beard... I know I'm excited. Rally ladies (and gents...) RALLY!!!!
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version