Professor Paddle: Lower Tilton this weekend vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Lower Tilton this weekend Post Reply Post New Topic
schierenbeck
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote schierenbeck Replybullet Topic: Lower Tilton this weekend
    Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:52pm
Is anyone planning on running the lower Tilton this weekend? Last weekend myself and two others ran it in IKs. Unfortunately, one of the others fell out of his IK in Leap of Faith, which ended up stuck on some rocks on river left in the upper half of the rapid (not wrapped, just stuck). He swam to the bottom of the rapid safely, but lost his paddle on the way down. As you know if you've ever run the Tilton before, there is no way to simply walk back upstream; the canyon walls are straight up and down.

Running the river was a bad idea given that we did not have the proper gear to deal with this type of situation, nor had ever run the river before. With three of us and only two IKs and two paddles remaining, and without any idea of our exact location, we parked the other two IKs on the rocks on river right (next to the creek) and hiked out.

Needless to say, the IK that got stuck in Leap of Faith is undoubtedly somewhere in the lower half of the canyon. It's a red Tributary.      

Is anyone planning on running the Lower Tilton this Saturday, April 14? Any help in finding the lost red IK would be greatly appreciated, even just pin-pointing it's location in the canyon. We are trying to get some rafts together to go down but not sure if water levels will permit. Any ideas are appreciated. 425-343-3958. Thanks!

Edited by schierenbeck - 12 Apr 2012 at 8:07pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:09pm
it's probably in the big eddy above the final class IV. Good luck on the recovery mission. Shoot Chris a PM (bigwater). Chances are he has already found it.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 11:32pm
Here's my idea, since you asked.
Boat recovery missions are best appreciated by BEER. Straight up. That's been the CODE OF THE RIVER since before I started boating ( 3 decades +). Just sayin.

I'm not headed down there, so you won't owe me nothing. But that's the general rule. Ask any raft guide from here to the Potomac watershed and elsewhere. And, its most polite for the owner of a lost river craft to proffer said libations without being prompted. Since boat rescuers often need to go out of their way and exert extra efforts to retrieve boats (salvage), they are mildly entitled to a modest reward.

Last summer, when a crew of river guides whom I greatly admire pulled a raft off of a bridge pillar on the Wenatchee and returned it to the Commercial Raft Company whose guide wrapped it (I believe this Company deserves to remain un named) they were rewarded by something approximating a PICKUP TRUCK FULL of beer. Now, this was a commercially wrapped raft, and this company's guides were not the ones to rappell down the bridge and vertically extract the boat. This situation required someone with more motivation, and more practice with the necessary skills involved. So a larger... retainer fee in this situation was justified. In your "case", you are probably looking at just that: maybe a twelve or an 18 pack. There is no hard and fast rule.

But after the rescuers contact you and inform you of the condition and status of your recovered craft, your next question should be:

"What kind of beer do you drink"

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
schierenbeck
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote schierenbeck Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 12:06pm
@ jP: of course, whoever helps retrieve this boat will be rewarded with plenty of beer. I didn't mention it cause I figure it's a given. but then again, I am new to your community and have boated only with few members, so.....

pickup truck full of beer?! delicious. yes, efforts will be rewarded with beer.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:05pm
I should clarify that my statement is meant in a general, universal way. I just saw this topic as an opportunitty to express the basic custom. I mean, its kind of a tradition sort of thing, not unlike other salvage efforts that occur outside the whitewater micro milieu.

So, its actually not meant as a personal criticism directed at you. Sorry if it came across that way.

Anyway, gotta go boat. Trying to honor Mr. Harms' signiture there. I posted too many times in the last 24, so I gotta get out and do penence w/ that many times 1000 paddle strokes.

Later.
Good like recovering your craft. Chances are best that ethical folks will either recover it or leave it there and tell you how to find it. Enjoy the Tilton this weekend
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 5:54pm
well seems like i missed all the fun on the Tilton last weekend , i was on canyon creek on sat and the toutle on sun .... the Tilton can hand out the beatdown since its a canyon environment even tho its just a class 3 with a few 4s , ropes or throwbags are a must for the Tilton ... anyways it sounds like you guys hiked up the creek on river right just after leap of faith and the walked out on Studhalter road .... there are quite a few drops after that before ya get to the lake , many spots the IK and paddle could be , or they could have made it to the lake  since the Tilton did go up to over 1400 this week the IK may have moved ... if it did make it to the lake make sure you go past the take out to the log boom and look in the junk there for the IK and paddle

we may run the Tilton this weekend , not sure yet , id love to help you guys out with the IK if i can .... i dont drink beer tho , so some RUM  will have to do if i find it or help haul it out hahah

as far as rafts go we have taken a 16 foot paddle raft down the Tilton at 1000cfs and it was fine, maby bump here and there but still enough to run all the lines , i think they took the far  left at scary gary , since the slide on the right was boney

feel free to call me
Chris at three 6 zero 867 one nine two one
schierenbeck
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote schierenbeck Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:54pm
@ Brian: tomorrow, on Saturday, we are going to head to the lake to see if the IK washed out. and if Bigwater ends up running, will check with him to see if he spotted it in the canyon.

@ Chris: thanks for the info earlier! maybe see you down there.

the Tilton's canyon nature makes it more treacherous than your typical Class III-IV run. we definitely made the wrong choice of river this time, given our lack of knowledge of the river and means to deal with this type of situation, but when sh*t hit the fan we made the right choice to stick together and hike out of there. lesson learned. it was definitely a beautiful, amazing run, though. the rapids have real character. the scenery is stunning. I will always wonder what the rest of the canyon looks like....

Edited by schierenbeck - 13 Apr 2012 at 10:54pm
schierenbeck
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote schierenbeck Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 7:09pm
Mission accomplished. The IK has been found.
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 8:15pm
well, where was it?
schierenbeck
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote schierenbeck Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 7:54pm
We paddled the flatwater upstream and got to where there was just a small amount of current remaining from the river, and sure enough, there it was stuck in some tree branches overhanging the water. No damage, everything was good! It was amazing. Good thing it did get stuck in the tree or it would have probably floated out into the lake to who knows where. Good thing it made it all the way through the canyon!!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version