Professor Paddle: EF Lewis this weekend vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: EF Lewis this weekend Post Reply Post New Topic
lubes
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lubes Replybullet Topic: EF Lewis this weekend
    Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 7:26pm
Three of us are considering heading down to the EF Lewis this weekend. Any   seasoned vets of this run feel like joining the party and showing a few college kids the way down stream?

We are all competent class IVish boaters. Its just that this whole waterfall thing is new. Looks pretty straight forward from the vids, but any relevant beta would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Chris Lubenow
206-788-5630
Lube it or lose it!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 7:48pm
Sweet run. Never seem to make it down there, but it's straight up quality.

Sunset Falls: most new comers to Verticle World run the spout on R. Left. There's a micro hole you gotta punch before you hit the lip, but the landing is pretty chill. A fairly calm eddy.
The Center falls seems to mess w/ novices because there's a little curler you gotta negotiate. But its fun. Ere on the uphill side for the scrapey ass boof, or hang it out to the left a hair and keep it sloppy wet for the super freaky styley boof.
Don't fu*k with the manky slide on the right, "Unless you have a good dental plan".
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 7:52pm
Horseshoe Falls: the main thing is to go off the middle, the most "Proud" (as a Stone Mason would say) portion of the falls. But don't fall off to the right. Very ugly over there.

There's a tight 'lil Gun Barrel style slot you run above the falls that feeds you right where you need to be. The fan shaped rock tends to autoboof ya pretty good.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 7:59pm
Watch out for the headwall rapid after Dragon's Back where the canyon opens up. The drop dumps into a headwall on the left and bends into an eddy on River Right. I like to pick my way through some messy little pourovers at the top and stick close to the right bank, then boof a subtle rooster tail wave, clearing the hole and landing on the eddyline. You scoot right through and don't even get your head wet. That hole has made a lot of boaters swim. I see people run down the center more, but my line yeilds consistent results. You do got a semi technical entry though, and the key is to style that.

I thought that was the rapid called Hippie John's, but not according to our database (which may be wrong- I have no idea). I've always been confused about which one is Hippie John's. Maybe someone round here can set that straight.

Edited by jP - 02 Apr 2012 at 8:27pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:00pm
Be a good sport and bring Ollie some quality beer.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:43pm
That's hippie john's swimming hole, at least that's what I've been told.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:55pm
EFL's Sunset high (3300 cfs) was the first falls I ever ran, even at 1800 it was sweet but very different. Horseshoe is also awesome, if you super boof the autoboof you can land almost on your stern lol...if the run is high, the upper is fun as well and a bit more creeky feeling in spots.

If you're feeling comfy on the run consider Canyon Creek Lewis if it's at a reasonable level, that was my second creek (after Canyon Creek Stilly). A good weekend could be spent just running those 2 gems if they are new runs. Combined there's 5 waterfalls.

A couple of us from BC might be down in the area for the long weekend as well. If we are (not that there will be any shortage of local talent around I'm sure) I'd love to hit that/those again.
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 9:13pm
Ha I knew lubes would be down, bout to be a killer weekend!

Yea I would definitely like to check out canyon creek while we are down there if the levels are good. Been waiting to go vertical in a boat for some time. Thanks for the beta gents!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:50pm
Yeah, I thought that last headwall was Hippie John's swimming hole too. No offense, Yotes, but I'm inclined to think you got some beta wrong on the river page. I don't think Hippie John's is the boulder garden upstream as its listed on the rivers page.

We need some more PPeeps to weigh in and settle this matter, but I'm inclined to agree w/ the esteemed Mr. Ross (good to see ya on the Green, BTW).

Yotes, I'll buy ya an Arrogant Bastard if I'm wrong. But, being an Arrogant Bastard myself, I'm pretty sure I'm right.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 5:59pm
From what I understand JP is right...it was pointed out to me when I first went down that run...can the Bennett book settle this? :) It's all good though, just happy to see people contribute beta to the community!
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:08pm
"About 100 yards below the gorge, the East Fork plunges into John's Swimming Hole, a large, nearly riverwide hole near a 20-foot high cliff above the Copper Creek confluence."
-Bennett book

But who can trust a book? I guess i'll have to find out for myself this weekend...
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:34pm

Yeah I didn't have a Bennie Book handy, nor do I at this moment. When I get in the vicinity of one of my copies I'll check it, but that seems to settle it, alright.

As far as the trust worthyness of the bennie book, it's pretty darn trustworthy, IMO. I've run 80% of what in there and its pretty spot on.

Edited by jP - 03 Apr 2012 at 8:25pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 8:33pm
Ok- just checked my Bennie and it is exactly as you quoted.
My next course of action is to crack open the bottle of Arrogant Bastard that I had ear marked for Yotes if I turned out to be in error.

Done.

Now its off to the E. Frk Lewis page to tweak some stuff...

Edited by jP - 03 Apr 2012 at 8:35pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 10:39pm
Oh I trust this book that I stole from lubes because he left it in my car and can't stop reading different descriptions across the state and wanting to run all of them.

Ill just have to double check, maybe go for a swim in johns swimming hole just to be sure its there.
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:20pm
call me a hater but I wasn't all that impressed with the east fork. sunset is fun, running laps and stuff. one of the first waterfalls I ran and figured out the mechanics of boofing (canyon creek is good for that too). there's lots of flat water though and horseshoe was fun but you can't really run it multiple times. I din't really think that the e fork alone was worth the drive down from olympia.

I do want to go back and do copper creek though. that looks like tons of fun but it also is a bit of a step up, correct me if I'm wrong.

going the extra distance to hood river is totally worth it, wind river is a good beginning creek run and the hood has some fun stuff too.

completely different area but a run down the narrows on the humptulips ( olympic peninsula) combined with perfection falls (15 footer on the side of the road, do lots of laps) is a great day if the queets is high. Class III+.
Last time I ran that there was a new landslide drop on the humptulips that wasn't too bad but rolling wasn't a good idea because of sharp rocks. Easily could have changed in the last two years though. might be nastier now... thread drift but if anyone has been in there it'd be nice to know... the back up from the slide pretty much took out the class III where the waterfall comes into the river from the right

landslide is right below this:
http://americanwhitewater.org/photos/archive/medium/6451.jpg?no_cache=92720000

Edited by Kiwi - 04 Apr 2012 at 12:21pm
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 1:05pm
Yea i'm looking forward to EF because it will be my first waterfall run. Everything else doesnt look as hard as other things ive ran, but the air time should be worth it. Also really planning to hit canyon creek while we are there. This all is prep for me to consider doing the NW Creeking Competition coming up soon.

The hump is definitely on my to do list, i'm moving out east (upstate Vermont) come July for a year or more, so I have a tick list I want to get through before then. Wind is also on the list. Hopefully there are plenty of weekends to get things done before leaving the Northwest. Then I can bomb the Northeast.
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 2:44pm
Actually its faster for us here in Ellensburg to travel through the gorge to get to the lewis. Maybe hit up the wind on the way back? Flows look like they will come down to a good level.
Old Fart
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Old Fart Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 9:42pm
My understanding is the headwall with the pourover is "John's Swimming Hole"  There is a short twisty drop upstream of Sky Pilot that is called "Hippy John's"
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 3:29pm
That's correct, at least that's what paddlers were calling them 10 years ago.

Names on rapids seem to be getting added and changed frequently these days.  The Ohane is another example of this.  Thirsty beaver???
H2O please
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Travisimo

That's correct, at least that's what paddlers were calling them 10 years ago.Names on rapids seem to be getting added and changed frequently these days.  The Ohane is another example of this.  Thirsty beaver???

what was it before? 8 foot ledge with semiundercut runout?
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Kiwi

Originally posted by Travisimo

That's correct, at least that's what paddlers were calling them 10 years ago.Names on rapids seem to be getting added and changed frequently these days.  The Ohane is another example of this.  Thirsty beaver???

what was it before? 8 foot ledge with semiundercut runout?

Thread highjack, but I was gonna say the same thing.  Me and TD thought the the Ohane deserved better rapid names then "8 foot ledge with semiundercut runout" or "last class V after the waterfall". That's where Thirsty Beaver and Petrified came from. Little Tijuana, way better then secret camp, came from an older couple who'd been camping/living there every summer for 30 years...they get naming rights.
"Call on God, but row away from the rocks." ~H.S. Thompson
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 10:47pm
Thanks for makin me feel old guys 

I don't think it's bad, just interesting...  "Thirsty Beaver" is probably better than "unnamed ledge... stay rightish and boof."

Rapid names probably should change over time, "Leap of Faith" on the Tilton is no longer appropriate either now that the 15 foot high boulder disappeared.  I love how our rivers change.

What I wouldn't give to go back in time and run the Ohane top to bottom again (over 1/2 of the drops are gone now )

Even better, go back and run it before it was logged.  The first rapid past the old putin has a giant steam shovel bucket in it.  Many paddlers (me included) have run it and never even noticed it.  It was a shock when I finally did!  The color and shape make it look like a rock!  I'd LOVE to see that again

Edited by Travisimo - 06 Apr 2012 at 10:48pm
H2O please
Fenix747
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fenix747 Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 7:57pm
Just want to say that we had a very successful weekend on the EFL. Big thanks to Mike for the hospitality and good company. Will definitely be back for the NWCC comin up!

http://youtu.be/GPMLR6EX2mQ

Edited by Fenix747 - 10 Apr 2012 at 7:58pm
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version