Professor Paddle: PDX vs Seattle for summer vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: PDX vs Seattle for summer Post Reply Post New Topic
Meng
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Meng Replybullet Topic: PDX vs Seattle for summer
    Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 8:42pm
Suuuup, yall!

I am in grad school and have a great summer internship op at a company with offices in Seattle and Portland. Which to pick?

I am looking for - decent access to daily after work paddling. I know world class weekend range paddling is available in either location. Surf and other fun outdoor stuff also a bonus. I am an experienced paddler with many class 5 seasons. That being said, I'm, not looking to huck huge vertical (after years of daily creeking on waterfall runs I compressed a disk last summer) often. I'm looking more for quality over vertical. From what I've seen, OR seems to offer more waterfalls while Seattle offer more rapids/clean boulder garden type of runs.

In any case, any quick pros/cons on location for the summer would be sweet. Have never lived in the PNW but have made several creeking trips to BC and love it up there.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 6:28am
Seattle!

Ernies Gorge: 45 minutes to the takeout.
Robe Canyon: 1 hour to the takeout.

That being said, neither will run late in the summer, where as Truss drops off when?

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
Meng
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Meng Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 6:48am
Hey Dan, thanks man.

You are actually one of the guys I was gonna get in touch with if I make it up there! We paddled the NF Payette over the long weekend last summer. Wigston's friend from CO...
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 8:49am
I'm in PDXweekly and think Seattle is much better. Our boating is much closer and more diverse. Plus it's only a 3 hour drive to PDX if you want to go there.
Nomad
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 10:46am

winter/ spring  is the boating season in WA and OR

BC realy is the place for summer boating .... and Seatle is closer to BC
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 11:08am
This board may be a little biased towards Seattle.
Portland would be a sweet place. It looks like the Little White's gonna have a decent runoff season this year, but that still means it will probably be low by mid July or so. Truss of course can be run all summer. How could you go wrong by basing yourself one hour from the best run in US?
Looking at my notes we got our last snowmelt run on Ernie's in early August last year. That means all of July was excellent boating on the local goods. IE you can run amazing whitewater in good weather after work practically every day if you are so inclined.
If you are looking for weekend trips I think late summer/fall is where we edge out Portland. They are 7 hours from Squamish, we are 4 hours. Yes, they are closer to Cali but a 10 hour drive is not much better than a 13 hour drive.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
HINDS
Paddler
Paddler

Quote HINDS Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:34pm
Yeah Chris!  We are ready for more Colorado transplants up here!  Yes Robe is super fun but there is also Fall in the Wall, and the top Tye!  We have after work on the Sky and middle middle and green river gorge too for some more mellower stuff to bring the playboat out on too.  But Robe is the real close jem, sooo sooo good.  Fall in the wall could agrivate that back injury a bit, it is really close to town too.  What part of Seattle would you be in?  
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:50pm
Fiddler on the Roof of the Boof is correct that for whatever reason this site remains more centric to Seattle boaters.

I have no Seattle bias (they are both awesome cities to live in) except to point this out: Seattle is more geographicly central than Portland if you include BC, The LW/Truss zone, the Chelan Gorge and the Wenatchee. Seattle is 2-2.5 hr from the Wenatchee if you dig playboating. Seattle is equidistant from Hoody McRio and B.C. then when you factor in all the stuff within 3 hrs from Seattle in litterally any direction, I think Seattle wins out. Esspecially when you factor in the geological diversity around here.

Now, if you simply want to lap the Truss and/or LW, Portland will serve you better. If you want to run more waterfalls, an argument can be made for Portland and the basalt runs nearby that dominate.

But if you want lots of summertime after work options, good variety in the winter, access to BC to go hit that zone hard, Seattle is where its at.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 6:36pm
Ptown is good, but Seattle has way more closer access rivers in the class III-IV range.
For example and comparison:
KPDX (Portland Airport) to the closest class II-IV  is about 55min through traffic moving normally, this is the Clakimus river.
KSEA (SeaTac Airport) is about 35min to the closest Class III-IV in normal traffic, this is the Middle fork or the Green or the Cedar and just another 15-20 to possible class V runs and a plethora of class IV runs.

Just saying that Seattle has way more closer rivers than Stumptown...
Nomad
Meng
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Meng Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 8:22pm
Hey Nick! Thanks for the friendly PNW open arms. I was gonna get in touch with you if I make it up there. Right now its not certain yet and if I end up in Seattle I have no idea where I'll live. It will only be for the summer. Work will be downtown. I will let you know for sure when I know, which will hopefully be soon.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Sounds like it would be   hard to go wrong either way. specially compared to the season CO is gonna have this year...
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 8:39pm
Dude, I can almost gauranteee:
Homeboy ain't comin out here from Colorado to run the Cedar, ummKAY?

NOW lets keep this discussion on a serious tack.
Unless I am mis judging this man's skillz and/or uh...
whitewater orientation I'm inclined to go out on a limb and suppose the following...

Meng is in Grad school. In the prime of his life, and a paddler in the 21st century. A renaisance man. Not to mention from Colorado where whitewater is inherently on the gnarlier side of Gnarnia. The boy wants to get after it.

So, let's just cover all the bases here, since Meng is about to drop himself down into a region wide cornicopia of whitewater goodness.

How high are your verticle ambitions? You don't got to answer online- I just asked so you could ask yourself. I mean, how many times do you need to run Metlatko? Don't look at me- I ain't ever runnin that sh*t. I earned my old school stripes more than two decades ago. My Evil Kineavel days are over. I'm just saying that 4 hours ain't far to drive to tap into that and other verticle delicacies like what you'll find on the LW and the Truss. You'll want to sample the Hoody McRio goods before mid july, though. That's a good thing to bracket from as early as you get here till the end of june or maybe early July.

Of course, may and June is also prime Wenatchee Season. You wanna leave Seattle early enough on a friday to hit up some laps on the Fitwah on Snoqualmie pass (or, if your more of a Hwy 2 kind of guy than an I-90 motorist, you coukd hit the Sky, The Foss, The Rapid, and/or the Top Tye, then continue to Leavenworth. Maybe do a No-Moon Midnight lap on the Wenatchee to kick the weekend off. Make sure you hit up the Professor Paddle Ball. Icicle creek will be on tap, and if you have ambitions of running the Stakine, you could toss yourself into Tumwater at 10,000 or more CFS for some very worthy bigwater class V that hardly anyone has huevos to touch. Don't look at me I'm just a 90 lb. Weakling. A little later in Wenatchee season is usually when most PPeeps flock to the Cooper for some laps under the hot Cle Elum Sun.

Then you got BC 4hrs North. Yeah that's right: I'm making a case for Seattle, though either city will do just fine. I mean, choose Portland if you have some California Dream'n going on- but you better get your freshwater ass after that program 'cuz I hear they ain't got much pack down there. We got plenty up here as usual, even if we don't have all that sexy granite. And dude, if you tap out Washington by August or so, you just head across the boarder and get some BC goodies. The gift keeps on giving, and you ain't gonna do more than scratch the tip of that iceburg if you Pilgrimage up there every weekend of August/ September. Never mind the mid to late summer dam releases onthe Chelan Gorge. An easy weekend from Seattle, much further from Portlandia.

It ain't about the cities. Otherwise I'd say Portland. But they are getting just as gentrified and uppitty w/ they pretentious liberal asses as Seattle, so it really don't matter. But its worth noting that without such crucial cities we'd basicly still be living in Civil War times (or at least the 1950's, and judging by the politics our ridiculous nation is serving up some people are still trying to convince us we could live in that decade. Weird). Hah! Bless the progressive gestalt of the Pacific Coast!

Just Come to Seattle dude. Best striking distance from anywhere you could possibly want to kayak, including the San Juan Islands, if you like some occassional salt in your diet.

Edited by jP - 30 Mar 2012 at 9:02pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 9:01pm
Another not yet mentioned benefit of Seattle over Portland as a central base to kayak is that women in Seattle shave their pits and legs! PDX is a crap shoot.
Just sayin
Sure?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 9:12pm
Well, Tobin, I doubt the statics would bear out your hypothesis in any measurable way. But if a guy wanted a boursoisie boutique wallflower, I would tell him to set up camp in Fremont. It used to be "the center of the universe". Now the people who live there just think they are the center of the universe. And there's a whole lot more arm pit shavin' goin on. Lets just say that. So who do you think would make a more content companion in the woods?

Cuz all the whitewater is up in thar hillz!

Edited by jP - 30 Mar 2012 at 9:14pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ChristianKnight
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote ChristianKnight Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 9:15pm
Here's my two cents: I've lived in Hood River and I live on the Eastside of Seattle now. So, I'm pretty familiar with both. Here's how I'd score the contest over the most compatible rivers.

Portland vs. Seattle

Little White vs. Robe: 10 - 7, Little White
Green Truss vs. Top Tye: 9 - 8, Green Truss
Farmlands vs. Green (at high water): 6 - 8, Green
Middle White Salmon vs. Skykomish: 5 - 10, Skykomish
Canyon Creek Lewis vs. Canyon Creek, Stilly: 10 - 6, CC Lewis
XXXXXXX vs. Ernies (I've never run Ernies, but I hear it's awesome) 0 - 10, Ernies.
Rock Creek vs. Fall in the Wall: 4 - 7, Fall in the Wall.
Eagle Creek (hike, all waterfalls) vs. Upper North Fork Skykomish: 3 - 8, N. Fk. Sky
Hood River vs. Deer Creek: 2 - 7, Deer Creek
Middle Fork, Hood vs. Icicle: 3 - 10, Icicle
Deschutes vs. Wenatchee: 1 - 10, Wenatchee
XXXXXX vs. Tumwater: 0 - 10, Tumwater

This is not counting the Olympic Peninsula. I love the Gorge. But I think if you're going purely whitewater, Seattle is best.
Catch your eddies,
Christian
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:57am

If you are only here for the summer I would definately pick Portland.

The boating is excellent, the community is great, living expenses are cheaper and there is no place like Portland culture anywhere ("Last Thursday" in Alberta district).

That being said, Seattle might have a longer melt run off, but the Gorge has more late season flows... the Truss being the staple for mid to late summer. 

Boating aside, Portland has a lot going for it.  Great mico brews (at least 20+ in downtown area) , cheap food, 1 hour to ocean, 1 hour to Hood River, 2.5 hours to Seattle. 

I've lived in both areas and considering the outdoor access and city life, I think it would be an easy pick. 

Kirk
Kirk B
Meng
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Meng Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:18pm
Thanks everyone for the awesome replies. Entertaining as well as informational! Sounds like either way there is a ton of amazing outdoors to explore. Ultimately, location will come down to what I get offered but I want to be ready with an answer if I am asked about preference. Info much appreciated...thanks for taking the time!
Old Fart
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Old Fart Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:53pm
Gotta say I'm a little partial to PDX but regardless you can't go wrong in the great PACNW and this thread is so worth it just for JP's analysis.
Scott G
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 11:30am
Don't forget Portland's strip clubs, they are known for having the best!
Nomad
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:50pm
Chris! What's up man?! Gimme a call either way and let me know when you want to boat.

Cheers.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version