Professor Paddle: Class III Instruction This Time of Year?? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Class III Instruction This Time of Year?? Post Reply Post New Topic
kirbz
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kirbz Replybullet Topic: Class III Instruction This Time of Year??
    Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 4:00pm
Hello,

I'm a Class III+ boater out in California and I'd like to come up north for a weekend of paddling. I'd like to pay a company for some private instruction. What companies offer private instruction that would also have good Class III+ options in the area? I found Wet Planet Whitewater based near the White Salmon River in Oregon but I hear that's more an area for Class IV/V boating. I hear Eugene and Corvallis are better for Class III but can't find any outfitters who do private kayaking instruction...

I could use any help or advice you have! I'm open to Oregon, Washington, and Idaho... I'm looking to spend three days and hopefully do three different rivers or sections of river. Thanks!

Edited by kirbz - 06 Mar 2012 at 4:01pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 4:44pm
Go to Wet Planet!!! There is an awesome Class III stretch and some of the best instructors in the world. Just go to Wet Planet and be stoked...!!!
Chris Ohta
H2Ohta
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
kirbz
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote kirbz Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 4:49pm
Hi Chris, thanks for the recommendation! What Class III stretch are you talking about?
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 4:55pm
The Middle - BZ to Husum or to the new take out on the Lower. Most rapids are Class III with Husum Falls but you can walk that easily if you don't want to run it. I have some very good friends down there and they are some of the best. Very safety conscious and top level instructors/paddlers. Ask for Heather or Todd and tell them Hi for me.
Chris Ohta
H2Ohta
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 6:01pm
You dont have to pay us, I love class III-IV and like taking anyone down. I also dont mind teaching for free, I dont belive you should have to pay to play...just my thoughts that everyone should be able to enjoy kayaking for free and pay it forward.

It's an old concept, "paying it forward" and I think it got lost somewhere in our capitalist society...

Edited by dave - 06 Mar 2012 at 6:02pm
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 6:04pm
I should clarify:
If you are in Washington/Seattle area and its a weekend you are free to join me on the local rivers if they are running. I love the Green (class III-IV), Middle fork Snoqualmi (class III and easy IV), Skykomish (Class III with hard IV).
Nomad
kirbz
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote kirbz Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:26am
Dave, that's a very kind offer. Fortunately, I don't think that "paying it forward" is a totally forgotten notion. However, in general, I prefer to pay for my instruction. I'm a wee bit fearful out on the river and don't like to impose my fear and insecurity on some kind person who offered to help. Also, for whatever reason, I feel a bit safer knowing I paid someone to keep me safe. :-) However, I may take you up on your offer someday when I'm a little more confident and established in my boating .
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:38am
There is also Columbia Gorge Kayak School located in Hood River, OR. Outdoor Adventure Center located in Index, WA. Wave Trek Rescue also teaches out of Index, WA but they are more geared towards rescue classes.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:46am
You might want to try calling all of these companies and find out where they would do their instruction. The Middle White Salmon has recently received quite a bit of woody debris and from some of the pictures I've seen it looks a little more class IV than III+. The Skykomish in Index Wa is all III+ with the exception of Boulder Drop rapid which is in the IV+ range.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:02am

HUGO!  where art thou when one needs thee! 

dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:19am
Sorry about the little rant there...it just seems like every time I turn around someone is trying to make a buck off of someone, even for simple things. Probably right about paying for safety though, then you know they will be watching and concentrating on you all the time.
I recieved all of my lessons for free and feel obligated to help others in the same way.
Nomad
kirbz
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote kirbz Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:22am
Haha, it was a good rant Dave. I have many friends who have been able to learn to paddle for free because of people like you who are willing to pass along what they've learned.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 4:55pm
Another vote for Wet Planet. See if Andy Round is available on your desired weekend - top notch. But so are the other instructors I have had there.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 6:49am
And one more plug for Wet Planet. :)  Would love to hear where you eventually end up going and how it went.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 10:37am
I feel like there is a difference between paying for instruction and having a buddy help you. In general a paid instructor in a private will pay much more attention to your learning style and the finer details of your technique.  The instructor is solely there for your learning experience, and the river trip will be tailored personally to you.  I have taken lots of folks on the river for fun to teach them how to kayak, and I can say that the environment and teacher / student relationship is different for a paying customer.  Besides, there is always the benefit of supporting the kayaking community and lifestyle by paying for instruction!

Wet planet is great, and there are always a few good private instructors running around every river.

Good luck
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 3:40pm
I'll go ahead and add another vote for Wet Planet!  Can't say enough good things about those folks!
kirbz
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote kirbz Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 6:51pm
Thanks everyone! I do think I'll give Wet Planet a try; quite a few enthusiastic recommendations! Although I'll probably look up Outdoor Adventure Center in Index and give the Washington rivers a try as well. I do love me some adventures. :-)

I'll let everyone know how the trips go. Thanks again!!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version