Professor Paddle: The Ultimate Footwear for creeking? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: The Ultimate Footwear for creeking? Post Reply Post New Topic
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: The Ultimate Footwear for creeking?
    Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:27pm
Ok, I'd like to solicite some opinions about what you creekers prefer as far as footwear goes. I'm rockin a pair of Custy Booties, and they SUCK. Time for something better.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Something I can hike in, portage class V rapids in (that means class V portaging, generally)
-Something with good traction and good ankle support
-Something that drains well and won't stay water logged, yet won't allow sediment, sand and gravel into my shoes.

Yes, I care about a low profile to fit in my boat to a limited extent, but I wear an 8 or 8.5 size shoe, so that's not much of an issue. No offense, Tall Guys: I'm not concerned w/ your big footed woes and scrunched toes.

Not getting these for playboating. So not interested in any booty sock crap I wouldn't want to do an 8mi hike in.

Class IV and V Creekers: let's have it- what do you guys (and girls) like?

Edited by jP - 23 Feb 2012 at 9:32pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:34pm
I guess I'd also like to know how they've held up for you (number of days per season, roughly) and how much they cost ya.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ellsw121
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ellsw121 Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:45pm
5.10 savant my last pair i had for 3 years...roughly 50-75 days a year on the water. traction is second to none. Just got my second pair recently.
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:02pm
For the last year I've used Teva Gnarkozi's, they held up well over 300+ days of paddling, actually maybe 200+ days considering playboating days where I wear booties, but do allow sediment in, no ankle support and aren't super sticky.

I've just received 5.10 Water Tennies, which a good friend of mine uses, he says super sticky, no sediment, and high top ankle support, but don't last as long. Haven't used them yet but just to try on seem great. I will still use the Gnarkozi's for anything in my creekboat that I'm comfortable running or know I won't need to portage.

I will take the better shoe over reduced life of the shoe.

Interesting related story, I dropped my boat in the river on a high water Peshastin Creek run (only time I've ever done this I swear! :)...I couldn't get downstream to chase it due to lack of sole grip, my buddy in his 5.10's had no problem pursuing over the steep grade slippery rock to recover my boat thankfully!

Adam

Edited by Fry1982 - 23 Feb 2012 at 10:14pm
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:48pm
Big fan of the 5:10 water tennies. Have reasonable good ankle support from the high-top, lace-up build, and good cushioning under the soles while still keeping a relatively slim profile.

I know of a few folks who have the 5-10 Canyoneers as well (too bulky to work in my boats).

Whatever model you go with, you'll get the 5.10 aqua-stealth rubber, which is miles ahead of anything else I've tried in terms of grip on wet, slippery rocks. It's worth it's weight in gold when you have to negotiate treacherous riverside terrain.

The only downside is you get used to negotiating slick rock surfaces with so much confidence that your instincts change, and if you find yourself wearing booties that aren't as grippy you can easily find yourself falling quite a bit...
-Jay
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:27am
For as much as you seem to paddle, jp, I don't know if the 5.10 water tennies would hold up. Two friends got them early last season in Colorado, one got his replaced from falling apart in no time. The other's look like they're about to meet the same fate. I use the teva avators. Grip is not bad at all imo, but not as good as 510.. I can only imagine..Ive only used 510rubber for climbing and downhilling and the grip is so good.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:12am
Here's an idea - buy whatever sort of creeking footwear with will work best for you in terms of fit, support, etc - and retrofit them with aquastealth soles:

http://fiveten.com/products/accessories-detail/4314-aquastealth-kit-reg-
-Jay
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 12:40pm
I heard years ago that the 5.10 Canyoneer is the only way to go. I finally got a pair a couple months ago. I cannot believe I've kayaked for this long before I finally found the shoes that are ideal for creeking. I don't think I could ever go back. Comfortable for hiking, amazing grip, and heal support without being too bulky.
I've worn mine 10-15 times and they still look like new. I've heard mixed things about the durability of the Canyoneer, but they appear to be decent quality. Way better than the NRS booties that rip the first time you put them on.

Edited by fiddleyak - 24 Feb 2012 at 12:41pm
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:04pm
I've had a pair of Teva Gnarkosi's since last April/May, I'm usually not too nice to my footwear and these seem to hold up pretty well. The stitching is starting to blow out in the usual places, but they don't look rotten like some Not Really Sturdy shoes I had before these. I spent the extra $5 and am happy. After one year with my previous shoes, they were totally destroyed and rotten. Teva's design allows me to take the insole out (yes, they have an insole) and I believe that helps dry them out faster, not to mention they just feel a bit burlier than the others I've had. Haven't tried the 5:10 or Canyoneer. I think time spent drying any river gear thoroughly   (sooner than later) is time well spent. I'd buy another pair.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:34pm
Yeah, I'm leaning toward 5.10 Canyoneers or Tennies, I think. Thanks for the feedback. It just doesn't seem like there's ever anywhere local to try them on. Footwear is the kind of item I always like to try on before I buy since I'm in between sizes 8-8.5.

People seem to like both of those 5.10's, as well as the savant, so I hear.DONE w/ lame ass booties- they ALL suck. I want a SERIOUS SHOE: it's the 21st century.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:35pm
I still prefer to drink my bootie beers out of neoprene, though!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fry1982
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Fry1982 Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:47pm
The 5.10's are definitely more bootie beer friendly than the Gnarkozi! Here is a picture of my year old Gnarkozi's (or almost year anyway)...I dried them out thoroughly like all my gear after each use as possible, to be fair, most of the wear is aesthetic and the sole and integrity of the shoe is fine. Like I said, due to the short potential life of the Water Tennies, I will keep these around for everyday creekboat usage :)

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:08pm
I must have the Avatar. The mid-shoe. It's def not the Cherry Bomb II. You know what I have, Pizzle.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:51pm
No, I don't. Those feet of yours are either in your boat or moving through the woods so fast I can't keep track of where you went. Ha! Just kiddin.

Yeah, heard some good things about the Avatar, but they seem too bootie-like. Maybe I need to see another pair. Might be confusing them w/ somethin else.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:27pm
Ok, so I'm resurrecting this thread, cause I'm about to get myself some 510 canyoneers. I have a mid-sized foot, so they should fit in my boat just fine. Here are some 510 canyoneer related questions:

1) the word seems to be that you want to get a size bigger than you normally wear, presumably to accomodate a neoprene sock and the gortex booty of a drysuit. Seems 1/2 a size would do for that.

fu*k, I hate the idea of ordering shoes online. Shoes need to be tried on. I can't believe in Seattle there's no where to try a pair on. I'm usually an 8 or 8.5, depending on the shoe.

2) It's not lined w/ neoprene is it? Do I need that neoprene sock? I've been wearing them inside my goretex booties since they leak. Before, when they were dry I wore them on the outside. What sort of layers do you guys wear w/ your 510 canyoneers?

3) what about those 510 canyoneer SAR's? ("Search And Rescue"). They are orange but otherwise look the same. They have a "composite toe", but I couldn't find any explanation about what that meant other than it implied a stiffer toe. Seems like a bad thing for squishing into a kayak. Anyone got any knowledge about them? They cost a little more so Ima prolly stick w/ the yellow ones.

Anyway, I need to get these ordered. Wetsuit booties suck.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:49pm
The Seattle Bouldering Project has a HUGE selection of 5.10 shoes.  I think i remember seeing a fashionable selection of canyoneering shoes there too.

you could always give them a call before heading over there. SBP are trying to become THE dealer of 5.10s in seattle. they have like 1 million different 5.10 shoes.

and its a sweet climbing gym... for a climbing gym
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 2:50pm
When I asked about the 5.10 Canyoneers before, somebody on here posted that the Seattle Bouldering Project (http://seattleboulderingproject.com/) has them in stock to try on. I have yet to get down there to see for myself, but my be worth a phone call at least.

I hate buying shoes without trying them on as well, especially something that you have to calculate for so many other inner layers.

Edit: Guess not-very-clever beat me to the punch with the SBP recommendation.

Edited by briandunnington - 16 Apr 2012 at 2:51pm
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 4:26pm
I've heard that 5.10 sizing runs a little big. For what it's worth I ordered my Canyoneers my normal size and I like the fit. The shoe is a little roomy but not too big to be a problem. I could probably fit into a half size smaller but it would be harder to get on.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 6:30pm
Thanks, guys-
I'm getting sick of abusing my feet. The last thing I need is to roll an ankle hikin around some sketchy terrain w/ a boat on my shoulder. Gettin too old for this sh*t.

Ima check the SBP tip. Really appreciate it. I'd be stoked to try them on before ordering, and if they got them, I'd be even more stoked to buy from them. This is exactly the kind of item I wish I could buy at my local kayak shop, but I guess they don't sell enough to stock. Too bad they can't stock a model of each size for peeps to try, then special order when you buy. That would be my suggestion to Charles if he was reading this, and if it was feasible.

Anyway, yall never heard of the SAR version? I doubt they are what we'd want for creeking cuz I think their distinguishing characteristic is the stiff toe. Seems like that's one part of the shoe you'd want to conform to the space between your footbraces and the deck, or to flex good once the heel is crammed against the hull. I do dig the orange, but pretty is as pretty does. Pretty much nothin once you go trudging downhill through the fern infested, shale-shard infused chocolate cake of the PNW forest. Umm- so moist!
Anyone find my drainplug on the recent hike into the upper Sultan?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 6:37pm
Boo Hoo!

I just called those folks and they don't stock them-- man, this is tough. I guess I gotta gamble. The problem is that every time I buy shoes are sized way different. I got size 8 shoes, 8.5's, my cycling shoes are 7.5, and I've worn a shoe or two in size 9. WTF? How am I supposed to nail that one down? Guess I gotta mail a few pairs back n forth till I figure it out.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 6:42pm
Yo Jp,

Order through Amazon.com., id say but local, but no one carries as you have found out.

Get a half size bigger than your normal shoe size.

You can return with free shipping if the size doesnt work.   Packages come within 2 days... 
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version