Professor Paddle: Pilchuck Creek Tomorrow Anyone? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Pilchuck Creek Tomorrow Anyone? Post Reply Post New Topic
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wiggins Replybullet Topic: Pilchuck Creek Tomorrow Anyone?
    Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 12:16am
I'm game if it goes to 900 or higher. The gauge last said 703 and going up!

I'll check in the morning around 8am. The plan would be to meet at 10am at the SR9 bridge.

Kyle
2five3 25S-652O
I smell bacon
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 6:54am
It didn't come in.

Kyle
I smell bacon
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 1:57pm
Anyone getting on this tomorrow? Never run it but im way overdue to. Can someone please 'splain the visual gauge at the hwy 9 bridge..was just looking at it.

On my phone..
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 10:23pm
If Kyle says it didn't come in, you missed it.

Wait. He posted on the 19th. But still, I think today woulda been the day. I guess if you are close it wouldn't hurt to try for tomorrow. I'd join you but I gotta work (and run the Green during my lunch break, hopefully).

Go to to Pilchuck page, dude. It spells it all out. The rock above the bridge, the stick guage, estimated cfs....Line up your posse tonight so you can pull the trigger if you get lucky tomorrow. But you may be too late.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 10:36pm
Kurle:

What was the flow you and Dan(?) Ran it at in the video you got up on the Upper Pilchuck Page?

Seriously, kids:
Its great you want to imortalize yourselves and all wit your fancy GoPros n what not, and Kurle, you gots talent as an editor, for real.

But if you guys are gonna paste your videos into the River Pages, you need to start including some INFORMATION along with it. Like most notably what the sh*t was running- CFS, Stick Guage, whatever you got. This ain't Mtv. Might as well make your video valuable for something so a wider range of PPeeps can decide what flows they want to target.

Same with photos: more of these photos need to include the flow the day the photo was shot. Just say'n.

Nice video of Pilchuck though, Kurle. Good times.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:00pm
Pilchuck is just over 3000 CFS and dropping. It may be at a decent level for tomorrow. Unfortunately for me I know I am busy tomorrow! I would love a wood report if you make it down there.

Kyle
I smell bacon
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:17pm
Cool, Flowtorch you may be in business. The greatest wood hazard may be in the upper section, not far into the run. When I was there it was in a weird straight-a-way tha can really sneak up on you. Read the River Alerts for the Upper and Middle Pilchuck pages.

But it may have flushed now, too.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:42pm
Thanks for the replies, guys. Today was my first time even seein that creek and was just kinda goin on what I read(and forgot)online. Really just went to take a look but I thought I remember reading somewhere that the rock upstream of the hwy 9 bridge was the visual gauge. Am I missing something? Where is the description for the rock? (EDIT: Doh, it's on the upper Pilchuk page, Cheebus, I'm sorry. Until today, I thought the upper and middle were one and the same)

..I read later today theres the stick on river right..didn't even see it. Oh well, looked like it was plenty high. The falls looked nice and full.

Got one more boater, would love to have another, think we're gonna try for it tomorrow. I'm guessin it wont be at too low of a flow tomorrow, will it?  Keep in mind we're low flow transplants..and still figuring out how fast things drop here.

I

Edited by flowtorch - 22 Feb 2012 at 11:51pm
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:54pm
The Pilchuck drops faster than most drainages. I have seen it go from the low 5000's to under 700 overnight.

That said I think you'll be fine. I have been working near the drainage's head waters tonight and it is still raining pretty good. I would definitely check the online DOE gauge in the morning though.

Kyle
I smell bacon
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:56pm
Pilchuck plunges as soon as it stops raining.  You may have 1k at the put in if you get there early enough in the a.m.  The gauge is more than 12 miles past the upper put in so you have to account for that as well to. 

Personally, I don't bother with the run if it's below 1,200, but your mileage may very.  Let us know how the wood is if you go.
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 12:18am
Cool, thanks guys.  If theres just the two of us, who knows, we may end up doing just middle. 
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 12:31am
Some like it as low as 750. The lowest I have run it was at 1000, and both sections were fine. I have done one low water trip on the middle section at 550 CFS. The falls were out, but everything else was runnable (except for the 12 wood portages).

Kyle.
I smell bacon
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 12:49am
Not that there will be 12 wood portages currently, tho. Who knows, we've had a dynamic winter. A pretty good winter for boating, actually, but lots of changes, its turning out.

Oh, and after reading your comment, Flowtorch, I revised a few details on the Middle Pilchuck page, mostly pointing to the Upper Description since it has such detailed info collected there from multiple boater's observations. Thanks for bringing that up.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 4:57pm
Well, How'd it go, Flowtorch? You make it out to Pilchuck? Hope you got on the water one way or another- this is yet another fantastic week to be a Washington boater.

If you got out there give us a wood report here, and maybe update the Alerts if applicable.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:27pm
Just got home, hit up Pilchuck this morning and rode Steven's all night! Great day to be a WAshington boater and rider!

Hey you guys have done this before! You were right. She dropped out!  But she didn't drop out too much for our tastes. 3.75 on the stick, middles only, forgive us JP.  :) Water piled up on the rock and barely going over it.  The waterfall was filled in enough to give us some pretty big smiles. It's funny, we were saying if that run were in Colorado it alone would be overrun any day of the week! No wood of real consequence anywhere on the middle though. Cant wait to see the upper!

Edited by flowtorch - 23 Feb 2012 at 10:28pm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:19am
Originally posted by flowtorch

3.75 on the stick, middles only, forgive us JP.  :) Water piled up on the rock and barely going over it.  , Cant wait to see the upper!

Dude the whole run is cool, whatever floats your boat
There are two reasons I include my own flow observations
1) as a record for myself on what I prefer, because otherwise I'll forget-- I only get on Pilchuck once or twice (if I'm lucky) a year.
2) to help others guage the flow. If they know me and know my preferences somewhat, they can target the flow they want for themselves more accurately.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by jP

whatever floats your boat .

I see what you did there :)

We appreciate the beta. Good to actually get in there at a known flow now and to be able to cross reference that with yours and others info. Stoked to have that little gem in my backyard.

Now I just need some mo'flow!

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:51pm
No doubt. Just so you know, tho, we are approaching the end of Pilchuck season (typically).

So you'll have to be vigilant these next two months if you hope to get lucky with it- call in sick or whatever and seize the moment. But this is the Enigmatic Emerald Magic of the PNW, so you never know!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:36am
It is just under 1500 CFS. If it stays above 900 is anyone game tomorrow?

Kyle
I smell bacon
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 7:57am
Id hit it.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 9:14am
Aw man!! It'll be some sweet continuous class IV+ today if its under 1500!!
Kyle, where'd you see 1500? The DOE guage?

If I were you I'd head out there today,maybe drag your feet a little. If 900 is your low end target a late put on will probably serve you well. It drops out quick.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:17pm
I had something come up and I missed it today. It is just as well because Flowtorch was the only person who showed interest and I would want more than one other person (especially since I plan on OC1ing it!).

I got the information from the 15 minute table on the DOE gauge page. I think between 1200-1600 CFS is the ideal comfort zone range for me. The top end of that range is based more on the fact that I have never been on it any higher than 1600!

It is still at the same level and holding steady. We had a lot of rain up north today so it may stay in for tomorrow. Anybody want to hit it then?

Kyle
I smell bacon
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 6:15pm
Wow. Despite this rare opportunity, since the Green is flushing tons of quality flow down here, I'm gonna stay here and make a whole weekend of it. HH is spoon feeding the flow in steadily rationed, copious quantities.

But an opportunity for the Chuck Wagon in not to be missed.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ellsw121
Paddler
Paddler

Quote ellsw121 Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 8:54pm
Just got off of the pilchuck earlier today and it felt pretty low. Not sure if it will still be in for Sunday. Just and FYI
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version