Professor Paddle: is this ad for real ? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: is this ad for real ? Post Reply Post New Topic
rockarolla
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo
Trying to not fear the REAPER

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rockarolla Replybullet Topic: is this ad for real ?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 9:58pm
Dave Moroles.   253 241 8550.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 10:19pm
who measures their stick in inches? i smell a tourist. $525?!? wtf
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 10:20pm
That's so funny, I think I was looking at that Craigslist post at the exact same time.  My bs-o-meter, which is very finely tuned these days, did not go off, however.  Definitely let me know if you find out otherwise though so I can recalibrate. ;)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 10:20pm
Uncool...not cool to brag especially if he can't spell the names of the rivers right. Not cool to measure it in inches. At least he could convert it to metric. Not cool to exaggerate price...I suspect the seller is not a boater.

Any chance it's stolen?
Jim 828-337-4508
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 10:21pm
OK, I did notice the inches thing.  Shoot.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 6:42am
You guys do know that we are NOT on the metric system, regardless of what I was taught the future would be when I was in Middle School in the mid '70's.

This is America dammit.

I never know what length my paddles are, unless it happens to be written on them and the tricky little bastards seem to shrink on me anyway. Go figure.

If I were selling a paddle and I needed to measure how long it was, I don't think I could lay my hands on a metric tape measure and I'm not too sure I would consider converting to cm or whatever NONAMERICAN measuring system you guys are advocating. When was the last time you guys said the Pledge of Allegiance? Just what I thought. Hmmmph!!!

That being said, my paddles are usually not worth having after I've used them for a while. Unlike the guy in the ad, I tend to hit every friggen rock out there and my paddles tend to be all chipped, scarred and much shorter than whatever measurement it may have been dubbed with from the factory.

To make things a little more interesting, I was in a paddle shop one day and we broke out a tape measure and started measuring paddles. Never could figure out how they were determining length. 3 different paddles marked "197", from 3 different manufacturers were all different lengths. Not a single one of them measured exactly 197 cm. I think they pull the numbers out of their... err... anyway...

The problem with the paddle in the ad is, it appears to be all bent. Why would someone get themselves a new paddle that was already all bent up?

At least he didn't call it a double oar.

Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 7:33am
Anyone going to call him on it?
meryl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote meryl Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 7:37am
looks more like a smack talking kid than a stolen paddle to me.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 7:44am
Jule
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Jule Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 7:55am
Does this seem familiar? The word Troll reminded me...

http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11304&KW=troll&PID=61123#61123
scottrichardson
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote scottrichardson Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 11:15am
always ask what runs a used graphite (as opposed to carbon) paddle was used on to be be sure of it's construction and overpaid $525 status. added bonus, when a graphite paddle breaks it can still be sharpened and used as a pencil.
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:05pm
I responded to the craigslist add and here is his response (he included his name and phone number)

"I do still have it. Not much time to go boating these days. You're welcome to look at it but won't allow a demo. Do I know you or have you contacted me before, how do you know about my boat?"

I'm just curious if it's stolen. Hard to say...I'm letting it go. If anyone needs his name or number for stolen property reclamation, let me know...

Jim
Jim 828-337-4508
jon!
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jon! Replybullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 6:39pm
amen Dale!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:27am
Yeah, give 'em hell, Dale- maybe y'nz are right to wonder, but it seems like some knee jerk reactions. I do agree that usually boaters who've run all the stuff mentioned are more in thd know. Its odd, but could be legit. Who knows
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 9:50am
Yeah JP, I'm not familiar with the runs he talked about. Just sounded like bragging. I, like Meryl, assumed it was just some over enthusiastic teenybopper talking sh*t.

After James suggested troll, I more or less decided he was probably correct.

The way people post stolen stuff on Craigslist is more along the lines of misstating the brand name of the paddle or not mentioning the brand at all(to throw off victims who are searching for their stolen Werner paddle). Misstating the color of the paddle(same reason). Usually selling very cheap to get rid of it quick to alleviate the danger of getting caught and to NOT post a picture or post the picture of a different paddle(different color?).

I have tried to buy stuff off of Craigslist that I'm sure was stolen, due to weird, sketchy stuff as previously mentioned(no paddling stuff yet).

When you show up for the purchase(meeting at a public place, instead of their home), they produce something that is often much better, but a completely different brand and colors than described in the ad and it's CHEAP!!! Their excuse will be that they just sold whatever it was that you guys had been talking about and they feel bad about it and will give you this better thing for CHEAP.

Friggen Craigslist.

I was in the market for a new monitor a few weeks ago. I sent out over a dozen emails inquiring about their monitors for sale. Out of 14 ads I responded to, I only got one response, yet, many of the other ads I emailed about keep getting renewed. Harvesting emails/phone numbers? For what? My spam count is pretty low and I don't get many odd phone calls soliciting. Who knows?

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version