Professor Paddle: Green River Cleanup vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Green River Cleanup Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
JayC
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JayC Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 6:44pm

Yes jP, your understanding is correct, doors 1, 2 and 3 in the order you approach them, (Door 1 river right) (Door 3 river left).

At high water yes, routes open up far river right "the Curtain" and "The boxes" far river left named after the square shaped rocks that are exposed at lower water.  Most people are too busy in there to look over and notice them.

Check tomorrow morning.  I will post as soon as the weekend gate choice is made.  However, I will post it first on www.facebook.com/greenrivercleanup  :-)> Be safe, have fun and take shallow strokes (#4)

Edited by JayC - 03 May 2012 at 6:46pm
Jay
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by JayC

I personally would not paddle captain the Green. I have stern framed the Green commercially during my short career as a guide and guide instructor. I limit my paddle captaining to the Skagit, the Wenatchee and only sometimes the Tieton. You are right when you say I’m an oarsman. With oars I feel in control. With a guide stick, I would be terrified on the Green, but that’s me, I have no confidence in myself to paddle captain anything but class III.

Hah! That's funny, because I am the exact opposite

I try to only row on stuff like the Skagit and the Wenatchee. On the Green, I would simply get OWNED behind the oars. Probably puncture a lung or something. With oars I feel like I have the short end of a very long stick, and that the river just man handles my puny ass! With a guide stick (I use the smallest one I can find- usually a "custy" stick) I feel I have control, and its more compact when I go launching Canonball style into the front of the raft!

Just kidding! That actually only happened once- at Hussum Falls. Don't miss your grab like I did!

http://www.professorpaddle.com/uploads/bin/2/useruploads/208/5648.jpg

Anyway, its all about what kind of craft a boater spends the most time in.

Just figured I'd add some stoke to the forum for the rafters out there, since they are the best craft of choice for this mission, as James pointed out. Still, the Kayaks can orbit the rafts and get into those hard to reach places, and of course, the more the merrier.

Lets just keep that Nozzle open and clean, huh? Man, rubber sure can plug that thing up now, can't it?

Edited by jP - 03 May 2012 at 6:52pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
JayC
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote JayC Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:11pm
A report about the log on the "YO-YO" reach Green River

Quote From:

Shanna Hoge Gachen

(Originally posted on www.facebook.com/greenrivercleanup)

"I ran it on 4/20.. and there were no logs in the current, there looked to be one on the first main bend where the channel splits around a gravel bar (when the waterfall first comes into view way down river) the log has been turned parallel to the current and isn't in the way. We ran it at 3000 cfs."

Jay
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 8:17am
Pretty funny what you guys say about FB...it is what you make it, meaning if you are afraid and dont feel safe then it will seem that way to you. I like it because I can keep in contact with my family scattered across the US. We have become more of a family participating unit and FB has helped that. But, I guess people will alway find things to complain and be fearfull about...remember what our forfathers said about modern medicine? They though it was witchcraft...and burned people that had new ideas and inventions...
Nomad
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 9:29am
You know why I hate Facebook.... I know you don't care, so I will can it.

But really Jay as much as you suggest your Anti-web you are owning the little ;-)>

SYOTR!

Stoked to lead my first trip paddle rafting down this weekend!
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 9:49am
Yahoo!!!! Green River Cleanup, just a day away!

I hope to see tons and tons of PPer's out there. Now, that said, a word of warning...

APPROACH MERCURY/NOZZLE WITH CAUTION!!!

The Green River cleanup is a great event in that due to the abundance of experienced boaters on the river to set safety, it is an excellent chance for class 3 boaters who have been wanting to step up to the Green to get their first runs in. And many do, just this. The flip side of this is inexperienced boaters often have "issues" at the Nozzle. At past cleanups there have been rafts wrapped at the Nozzle. Some requiring rescue and extraction taking a considerable amount of time. So just keep your eyes open and don't blast through Mercury like like its just another winter day on the Green when there's only you and a small handful of other boaters out there. And the Nozzle isn't the only possible trouble spot, but it is probably the most likely candidate for a boat-related river blocking incident.

So just keep your eyes open! Get out there and show the Green some love and have a great time!

And especially watch for yellow/red sotar paddle rafts wrapped and blocking channels.
JayC
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote JayC Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 9:54am

Gates at Howard Hanson dam are set for this weekend’s event; think this might be a new high flow for the Cleanup.

1850cfs

Have fun be safe, be sure to come here www.facebook.com/greenrivercleanup after the event and share your pictures and stories.

We’re outta here

SYOTR

Jay
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:15am
Cool! That's probably an ideal flow:
High enough to lubricate the Schlitterbaun, but low enough to be forgiving without the Power of the Push.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:44am
Joe: Don't be dick dude... I'm already getting scared and that ain't no good comin from the captain... 
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:14am
Don't be scared, Jimmy. The flows this weekend are absolutely optimal for paddle rafting. I'm sure even you can manage it.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:21am
RE: Dick comments  
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 12:58pm

As long as there aren't 10 rafts already Traffic Jammed there when the 5 boat float I'll be with comes onto the scene...

The place has the potential this weekend to resemble a clausterphobic version of the Upper Gauley!

You were right to remind us that it won't be the normal secluded Green Gorge experience, Joe- but rather more akin to a busy day on the Wenatchee in a much more constricted spot.

JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 1:19pm
JP, at the cleanup I have seen some circus acts at the Nozzle unlike anything I've ever seen there any other time of year. I think the best was a paddle raft slamming into a cat boat that was stuck on the rock right of the nozzle. The paddle raft actually pushed the cat free and the two boats squeezed through the nozzle side by side. And that was at fairly low water like maybe 1300. Never would have thought they would fit, but they did. 
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 1:34pm
I have witnessed a bit of mayhem there on other years too... 
Mark47n
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Mark47n Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:06pm
I had a change o f plans and I'll also be along...though I've not chosen which section I'll be on.  
You mean I'm supposed to wear something UNDER my spray skirt? Where's the fun in that?
JayC
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote JayC Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2012 at 7:06pm

Thank you 2012, 27th annual Green River Clean-Up Participants. (final report)

The 27th annual Green River Clean-Up (GRCU), again was a huge success.  Hundreds of people, for the 27th time, converged on the 14 mile reach of Washington’s Green River known locally as “The Gorge”.  They brought boats, bags, boots, shovels and gloves to pick up, pack out, clean up, restore and improve the general health of the Green river Gorge.

The paddling community once again turned out in record numbers in support of the cleanup. You risked popped inflatables and torn dry suits to remove anything that doesn’t belong, from Automobile parts to Zinc coated corrugated sharp chunks of steel, you guys rock.  The Green River Cleanup thanks you for your continued support of this Northwest Washington tradition.  Special thanks go to WRRR (Washington Recreational River Runners www.wrrr.org), FOG (Friends of the Green, (www.friendsofthegreen.org), MGRC (Middle Green River Coalition, http://www.mgrc.org/). Ground crews and support, Washington State Parks, King County Parks, Boy Scouts of America, Black diamond historical society

Participating  paddling clubs:  WRRR (www.wrrr.org), WKC (www.washingtonkayakclub.org),  PTCC (www.paddletrails.org), BEWET (http://bewet.org),  OWA (www.oregonwhitewater.org), UKC (http://students.washington.edu/ukc/wordpress/).  The list that pulls us together, Professor paddle, www.professorpaddle.com.  Please let me know if I missed your group.

Many sponsors and supporters, too long to list here.

Each year, with only four exceptions, the GRCU grows in scope and participation.  This year again, you made it the biggest and best cleanup ever.  Well done, next year, let’s plan now to do it again.

Announcing the 2013, 28th annual, Green River Cleanup, Saturday May 4th. (Mark your Calendars).

Look what’s in store for next year’s bigger and better cleanup: E-registration, going plastic bag-less, bigger and more ground crews, improved information distribution.  And more, visit often to see what we’re up to.  (www.facebook.com/greenrivercleanup), for all things Green River Cleanup related.  Drop a line; let us know what you think.

GRCU’s goal is to clean and restore the health of the Green River Gorge and its environment; to protect water quality and quantity for fish and recreation; to spread the word of its need to be protected and the need to protect all of our Rivers; to inform the un-informed; to educate our youth through active youth involvement in the cleanup by organizations like the boy scouts (learn as you clean) through (planned cleanup activities); to inspire others to protect their local waterways.

Spread the word, “Leave a place cleaner that what you found it”.

Jay
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version