Professor Paddle: Know anyone on the East Coast? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Know anyone on the East Coast? Post Reply Post New Topic
bronkrdr
Super Looper
Super Looper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bronkrdr Replybullet Topic: Know anyone on the East Coast?
    Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 12:27pm
All,

Since leaving Washington for Georgia the Army has seen fit to send me to the outdoor and whitewater mecca of Indiana... Upside is it's only about three hours to the Red River Gorge for climbing. Bad news is, I can't find anyone to boat with. Anyone know someone in the Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia area that paddles? My booties are starting to smell normal again... Miss everyone out there.

Take Care

Adam
I drink rum and wear my wife's underwear when no one is looking!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 2:28pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 4:34pm
Bardstownboaters is another group in KY that is close to IN. Check em out.

How is the kiddo Adam? Any others on the way? 
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:31am
Hey,

At six.five hours from Indiannapolis, Morgantown WV is likely the nearest Mecca of whitewater. Actually, the whitewater is about 45 minutes past Morgantown. But, that's where lots of boaters live. There is a strong class IV creeking culture there of cool laid back folks. Very warm, welcoming and active scene. Likely not as "on the internet" as some communities....it will take a friend or two to really get a good tour. PM me for more info on getting plugged into this community.

At seven hours is Johnson City, TN. The best thing happening there is the Watauga, Class IV. Super run. Not really a "boater town" though.

I don't know anything about "the plateau" in TN other than that there is good whitewater there and not many non-local people have been there.. Something to look into.

The web page for that region is Boatertalk. A good resource.

There is a whitewater shop over there somewhere, maybe near Dayton, OH. I don't really remember.

Indiana is likely a hard place to be a boater. Sorry about that. I wonder if there is any good playboating in Indiana. Could be.

Anyway, if you have a region over there you want to check out, I can try to put you in touch with a few contacts and maybe give some river descriptions. Take it easy...Jim

Jim 828-337-4508
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:35am
Oh, and be glad you're not from Ohio now...there is a term in WV: FIFO (freakin' idiot from ohio) referring to the weekend warriors on the rivers from ohio that come out and try to step it up without the mileage that the locals get. Sometimes the Ohio folks have more carnage than the average boater. But, this is just a stereotype. It's hard to stay tuned up with a longer drive to the water.

But, Ohio is full of WW boaters that drive to WV. Likely you can meet Ohio folks, carpool, camp, and hang with them as an intro into the northern WV scene. I'd post on Boatertalk looking for Ohio folks with which to carpool and camp/couch crash. That would be a great start.

Anyway, the FIFO thing is really just a joke, not a real insult. The WV/Ohio rivalry is subtle but present. All in good fun.

Jim 828-337-4508
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by warlickone

Oh, and be glad you're not from Ohio now...there is a term in WV: FIFO (freakin' idiot from ohio) referring to the weekend warriors on the rivers from ohio that come out and try to step it up without the mileage that the locals get. Sometimes the Ohio folks have more carnage than the average boater.

If you are from Ohio - were is my paddle bitch?
Sure?
warlickone
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote warlickone Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:44am
No paddle snake revenge here...
Jim 828-337-4508
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 12:56pm

Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 1:21pm

Hope you fellas can measure up to all this Ohio trash talk. At any rate, I am actually moving to Ohio in March and boating in WV, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, etc. From what I gather there are plenty of boaters out that way, you just need to show up. Also, I think boatertalk would probably be your best bet.

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 1:43pm
Back in my day they were called "Ohio Turkeys". Easily recognizable since Ohio state required owners of kayaks and canoes to register them. So you'd see the Ohio boaters with registration decals that looked something like:

OH911744

Or something like that in large black stick on numbers and letters like you'd find at True Value hardware...

Anyway, certainly far from fasionable. But then again in those days kayaking truly was a fringe sport. It was much less image consciouse than it is now.

But personally, I wouldn't trust a boater from Ohio. Y'nz out here oughts be careful:

There may be Ohio boaters lurking among you that you'd never suspect
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 5:13pm
hahaha... Ellingferd I am not saying that all OH boaters suck, just that the OH boaters I have boated with turned into bad experiences, one that happened to be very expensive. The guys totally flaked leaving me and another paddler out to fit the bill. After that whole experience I think I was talking with either JP or Harjes and we were laughing about the whole OH boater joke.... Oh well live and learn.
bronkrdr
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote bronkrdr Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 5:52pm
I see by my avatar pic and quote line Tobin's been at work... I don't care how true it may be - why'd you have to dig the skeletons out of my closet?!?!?!?! Hey, it's nice to know I'm missed.

James - The little one isn't so little anymore. At 20 months he's 35 lbs and right at 3 feet tall. Walking and running everywhere, and starting to talk. There's been talk about another one, I think we're going to wait till I pin MAJ here next year or so. Tobin tells me your little bundle is doing great, too. I'm glad to hear it. We miss the Northwest and everyone out there like you wouldn't believe.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I'm going to be pretty damn busy with work for the next month or so, but I'll definitely start digging around so I can get back out on the water in March. I remember the Ohio carnage... "On the gnar"... Hard to believe they made a footnote in the history of PNW boating.

Jim - I appreciate the help. I'll probably shoot you a PM here in the near future.

Thanks,

Adam
I drink rum and wear my wife's underwear when no one is looking!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version