Professor Paddle: Winter Edition Mini-PP Ball? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Winter Edition Mini-PP Ball? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 12:07pm

lets try to stay on topic here ... Hood River is way far and has a very active kayaking scene, i can go down there any day and have people to boat with

i think the idea of a mid winter PP would be to get people out to places they dont usealy go , or get more people out on runs that dont get done enough , or try to build intrest in south WA runs so i dont have to drive north to go  boating   hahaha

funny thing is  i have freinds that come UP from hood river all the time to run the Tilton because the play is so good  ...  if it was not for them i wouldnt have haad nearly as many days on the Tilton in the last few years

i dont want this to turn into a contest for wich river is best for this or that .... lets plan a few weekends and do em all !

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 12:37pm
I agree BW, the reason I'm coming out is for PP, meeting new PPers, exploring new rivers and of course.. getting into the deepest darkest. OP. Getting on runs during a holiday weekend, especially New Year's, offers paddlers more time to get into places they wouldn't normally go. so let's go!!
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 12:43pm
I think alot of folks are talking about alot of different ideas here.
 I just want to get out for a little breaksy from the family life, get my boat wet, bend my rod and eat some stellar grub whilst chillin with my friends. This can be accomplished at all of the locations listed, I would prefer either the OP or the Green. Green because it is the easiest to make happen of all locations for me, ie logistics, planning flows etc.. The OP would be my top pick because I love the rivers out there more, the fishing is Superb, and chillin with friends is always funner when it is a complete deluge of rain. Car Campin vs Boat camping, I vote to boat, but would do either or. The wynoochee would be fun, the Grays is not the OP but would be cool, The Hump is great, the Satsop is fun, done it a few times this year so I could go for something else but would still dig it up. Never done the Solleks but the Snappers got some fish in her, or we could just get our Soleboating on the old duck and those with the skill/desire could sesh a lap or two on sitkum (JP - not like everyone needs to rally that is there over the weekend, we should be capable of breaking in to sub groups for different missions if needed).... Regardless I will read the discussion and then see what the popular choices turn out to be so far it seems

Green
Tilton
Satsop\Wynoch
Hump\Math - ***
Queets\Snhapish - ***
Soleduck\Stikum - ***
Grays\Elochoman

I have placed *** by the selections which will be most likely to drawn a SOP river ninja out of the shadows.

NateW
McNasty
McNasty

Quote NateW Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 12:59pm
I could probably rally some Wenatchee people for this. Especially for the non OP trip since that limits our travel time.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 1:04pm
Koolness. For once I managed to stir the pot in a positive way. What's wrong w/ this picture? No one's bickering- just kidding- don't start now!

James, I don't think we are too unfocused. We basicly had three themes, and ccould do any or all of them:

1) Green: local, accessible, popular and easy. THIS ONE's GONNA HAPPEN, its just a matter of when. Honestly I won't run the Upper below 1000. No way in hell. But I'd run the lower way below that. Still, If I was building a weekend around it, I'd rather it be higher at least a little.
   If yall decide on a Green Riv weekend and its butt scrapin, hip bangin, face bloodying low, I'll just run the Lower. Win Win.

2)Tilton: PPeeps don't seem to be biting on this option but I am down. I'd love to do an overnighter in there. Yo BIGWah- if no one goes for that, you n I will make it happen.

3) OP. This option would be designed so PPeeps can base out of one tarp city base camp, and go on seperate missions. Where could we best camp to facilitate this? I'm thinkin Humptulips/Matheny. PPeeps can run the Hump, and/or go Northwest toward Matheny n beyond, or East to the Wynooch, Satsop. PPeeps can "choose their own adventure".

Hood River is Hoody McRiver. Ya go down there to boat, and often to boat with the PDX and HR locals, fine folks that they are. I agree its a bit far to drive for many. I don't consider that option on the table unless more PPeeps put it there.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 4:00pm
hey slick  glad to see at least some intrest in the Tilton , i know the beach well and would love to camp there ... i have camped on the island in surf city 3 times now , i packed my creeker full of gear and towed my playboat with a cockpit cover to the wave ,  next day i got to watch my playboat run the canyon solo , it did very well the first 2 trips but on the 3rd trip it cought an eddy behind us in the canyon and we could not reach it ... we did a second run that day to rescue it
unfortunatly playboating and over nites dont go well together unless ya have a raft , but ill never forget thoes moonlight surfs on the TIlton with a huge bonfire roaring next to the eddy
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 4:15pm
Overnighting in Playboats should become a new category. I think it is possibly stupidest thing one can do, which means it might have a good following someday. Arguably the only dumber thing would be in a squirt boat... You would at least be mystery moving with no features and you might have to wear a backpack but hey why not?

The trip that turned me off to packing gear in a playboat. Not mentioning the fact that my garbage bag dry system failed and left me pretty wet.

http://professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=1102
http://professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=1095

BIGWATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BIGWATER Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 4:28pm

haha the funny thing is on one of the trips my buddy had a full sized dry bag / backpack full of empty beer bottles and camping gear  that we hearded down the canyon along with the playboat , at one point the bag got stuck in an eddy bellow leap of faith and it took me 10 mins to finaly push it out, was like rescuing 2 swimmers all day long

playboat overnites could be rescue clinics also !   surf all of one day / rescue gear all  the next
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 4:29pm

That was a fun trip... a little toad in James sleeping bag :) 

I like the Oly idea levels dependant.  Tilton sounds fun as its been years... but playboating overnight gear doesn't sound all that inviting.  Green is close, sorta, and if James held the afterhours party at his digs, then man, I'm all IN!   

not-very-clever
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote not-very-clever Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 4:46pm
i think we were all waiting for james to invite us to his house for the mini pp ball
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 4:50pm
Or at least another poker night!

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 5:19pm
Ha ha- Dude I think with the Overnighter Playboat thing it woukd be ALL ABOUT heardin yer sh*t downstream while you playboat in. My suggestion would be a larger than average inner tube w/ drybags within drybags, strapped to the top.

...I always laugh my ass off when people try to use garbage bags. Ha ha...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 5:52pm
If we did OP we could have the overnighter at my place.

Or maybe even the Compound, Jon?

I think its an awesome idea, I also think that keeping it class III will bring out a lot more participants.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 7:44pm
Yeah, that's very much in the spirit of which I originally proposed it. But Gig Harbor is still a bit far from the goods- I say we straight up camp it. I could head out early on a Friday to a designated camp spot, say up the Humptulips, and start stringin tarps- I gots... Like... Lots of tarps... Kinda goed with the whole ex-marine panel van theme ( I'm not an ex-marine, I just bought my van from one.)
Anyway, I could get out there early and get some basic shelter set up, if we go OP.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 8:05pm
Tilton Idea- bout this one: Y'nz who wanna playboat make an initial lap QUICKLY with your creeker full of gear. Drop it off, but DON'T set it up. Yet. Jam to t.o. I MEAN JAM, MUTHUFUKA, NOT LIKE YOU'S DRIFTWOOD (c'mon now: once upon a time a kayak was a FAST vehicle). Rally back up to put in 'cuz you took two seconds to figure out your logistics, and put on w/ playboat. 2nd lap that day cuz you got an EARLY start. Play your way down to your gear where you'll stay, set up camp, n surf. Day two, play all you want leaving enough time to get back up to put in and blitz another w/ creekboat to pick up yo sh*t. Sounds complex, but not if you are as motivated ( and Wacko, I will grant you, Bret), as I.

Now, BIGWATER: (AND this offer is ONLY extended to you) me n El Diablo would be happy to haul in SOME of your gear should we decide to do some Tilton overnighter W/ ya. There may be a FIREBALL WISKEY fee and an... Assorted SAFETY surcharge, but it is an entirely viable option. El Diablo Nuevo is a way better PNW surfer than his grandpa, yet has all of the traditional stowage sans pillar. Just sayin'.
Again, that offer is EXCLUSIVELY for the BIGWAH man and the overnight Tilton plan. I know his safety sensibilities wouldn't let me down.

Forgive my "rapid"fire brainstorming. It's the middle of dark winter, and I can't get out to paddle enough- all I can do is wait till we round winter solstice.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
flowtorch
Paddler
Paddler

Quote flowtorch Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 8:33pm
I really like the idea of an O.P. winter rally. Bigwater got me fired up on that place last week. Myself and liquidguy will do our damnd'est  to be there with our blue Tarps!

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:38pm
Ok- then you need to check out Water Wacko's thread, cuz that sh*ts already off da hook w/ enthusiam, n it ain't even a two pager yet like this thread. Wacko is gonna be our official PP OP AlmBUDSman for this OP thang. Ima just sling a few opinions around as usual n show up with my own Tarps.

We'll start a Green River thread soon too, I'm sure of it...

...and a Tilton one.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:38pm
Btw Flowtorch is a cool ass user name, I have to admit...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version