Professor Paddle: Upper Middle Snoqualmie Saturday vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Upper Middle Snoqualmie Saturday Post Reply Post New Topic
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote briandunnington Replybullet Topic: Upper Middle Snoqualmie Saturday
    Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 1:03pm
Assuming the levels are still runnable, I was thinking about doing a run on the Upper Middle Snoqualmie (the section above the 'Middle-Middle') on Saturday. The plan is to go slow, catch lots of eddies, and work on fundamentals - as anybody who has paddled with me lately will know that I need to work on =)

so if any new paddlers want to get out or if anybody just wants to work on their skills on a scenic stretch, let me know.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 1:13pm
im looking for someone to go with this weekend as well. never been to the snoqualmie. how is the run difficulty wise? pretty new paddler. last trip was the lower green. also need to work on some fundamentals. let me know what your timeline is. nelson four o six 459 eight 3 five 2
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 1:24pm
It's mostly a class II run with a couple of II+ maybe III I'd the waters kicking. If you've done the Lower Green successfully you'll be fine. It's a REALLY scenic run if the sun is out. Different mountain views around each bend. Bring lunch and take your time. When I did it we put in on the Taylor river and went all the way past the concrete bridge, so I'm not exactly sure about the put in details, but if you make it to the Taylor, turn around and put in at the next good spot. A couple of the best rapids were right after the Taylor confluence, so try to put in as high upstream as you can.
jella
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote jella Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 1:32pm
What time are you guys thinking of meeting?  Are you going to go all the way down?  Sounds like fun, I may be in for the adventure...
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by BrianP

When I did it we put in on the Taylor river and went all the way past the concrete bridge, so I'm not exactly sure about the put in details, but if you make it to the Taylor, turn around and put in at the next good spot. A couple of the best rapids were right after the Taylor confluence, so try to put in as high upstream as you can.

Another option is putting in above the confluence on the MF. The gate is open at the Taylor and there is river access a short ways up the road. The road conditions are horrible to the Taylor, but improve a bit afterwards.

My wife and I might be down to join up with you guys if the river doesn't drop too much lower..
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 7:15pm
I'm cool enough to be quoted?! I'm going to have to start saying more profound things.. Last weekend we went up to take a look at the taylor..the gate was open but there was a sign saying road closed. I'm not sure if that would affect the place you're talking about?
Mr.Grinch
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Mr.Grinch Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 7:44pm
I might be interested, should be a nice day Saturday. If the surf doesn't come together, I'm up for Snoqualmie or Green (any part of either).
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 9:10pm
How far up you planning to go? Levels must be kept in mind. Last June 22 some us went from just below Bridgeview to the (old) MM put-in below the (old) Island Drop. It was running 2800 that day and I remember thinking to myself that I wouldn't want to run it a lot lower than that. Not super bony, but there were times we had to hunt for the channel (up against the bank into the bushes on a few occasions) and there was wood in play, some of it just barely submerged that caught us off guard. It took us 2.5 hours and we didn't stop but once I think. But none of us had done the run before and so were taking it a bit slow to keep an eye out.

Given the levels now I would double check with others who know the run better about just what you may be in for. Point being seems LOW to me. Just saying
BrianP
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BrianP Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 10:04pm
My memory of it isn't great, but I believe it was around 1700 when we did it. Granted, I probably have a lower threshold than a lot of people for how low I'll go, it didn't seem super bony except for one rapid. Who knows though? That was a while ago and I don't really have a good bearing on how the river bed can change there.
mokelumnekid
McNasty
McNasty

Quote mokelumnekid Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 10:09pm
Understood- I have to say that I'm a wimp when I'm in water that is too shallow to roll in, and it makes me edgy. But it looks like it is going to be much lower than 1700 this weekend.

If you go a full report woudl be really helpful!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 10:17pm
Man this is sounding like a party! I'm stoked for you guys. Maybe for myself, too, as I was just about to invite myself into the mix.

Until, that is, I read Mokelume's post. Saddly, I have to confirm that he is spot on. He is exactly right. It is Way low. At the risk of offending someone's low water sensibilities, I'm going to illustrate a few things rather factual.

The Middle Frk Snoqualmie doesn't seem to hold its water very well. Currently the guage is 900ish, which is low. This high pressure system is dragging some cold air down from the north. It hasn't rained much all week, and cold temps have shut off whatever might have melted had we recieved more rain and warmer temps.

Another important detail, somewhat based on my opinion but more based on my experience of having run nearly 200 rivers and creeks:
Washington class II tends to be spread out over wider riverbeds designed by nature to carry occasionaly large discharges of water in short spans of time. This means that at lower flows it is shallow and bony, and at high flows gravel routinely reshapes itself. The short point of this would be that you probably want more water.

Some riverbeds, such as the White Salmon and other basalt canyons, remain channelized and constricted even at low water flows. The Mfrk. Sno is not such a stream. This has to do with the glacial processes that formed it. The Sauk drainages would be a similar example. Gravel bars, braided channnels, ect. You want more water.

Now having said all that, I'd like to extend an invitation (or invite myself, if I may) to paddle with any or all of you, maybe this weekend. I'm not sure the upper M frk. will be a good place to work on fundementals this weekend, but there is always the lower Green. It actually does all right with less water then the Upper Green gorge does.

Anyway, not sure what'll pan out this weekend, but I enjoy working on fundementals, too. You guys should keep me in mind,ok? PM me and get my phone #. When would you rally on saturday? I may or may not make it this go round, but Keep me in loop!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 10:27pm
I am good for running the lower Green if anyone else wants to go. I have to work till roughly 4:00 Saturday morning (stupid Army) but i can meet around noon at the FG State park at around 11 if anyone is interested. Name and number is posted in the second post of this thread. Let me know.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 11:08pm
Cool, Nelson. The jury is still out on my availability for saturday. But I live close to the green. So keep me in mind. Now and in the future. Actually the middle frk is only a little further away, for future reference.

I been paddling a while but I ain't afraid of class II- I have the right boat for it that makes it very enjoyable. Or, more likely, its a mentality. The tendency for most paddlers is to progress towards "The Gnar" and leave the tranquility of class II behind forever. They are missing out on some subtle treasures. I consider myself what I'd call a "full spectrum" boater, meaning I enjoy all grades of whitewater (except class VI). I'm down with flatwater, too, although I'm not fond of the pond or lake. I like kinetic water. Water with a pulse. Water with a soul. Such water can be found on the Lower Green for sure.

Anyway, hit me up, Yall!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
MN Mike
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote MN Mike Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 6:08am
Originally posted by jP

I like kinetic water. Water with a pulse. Water with a soul. Such water can be found on the Lower Green for sure.

Wow JP.  You're like, a scientist and a philosopher!  :) 

I'd agree with your assessment that the lower section does better in low water even though I imagine it could get PRETTY sketchy below 1k.  I guess we may have an opportunity to find out... 

I've got plans with the lady on Saturday, but I'd be happy to paddle Sunday. 
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 6:15am
Oh, sorry I meant the MF road to Dingford. The Taylor is permanently closed at the bridge.
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 11:08am
So, as predicted and expected, the level continues to drop. The PP website says that 1000 is the minimum flow, but the level was down to 911 a bit ago and dropping. The forecast is for it to continue to drop, though I dont know what the absolute-have-to-get-out-and-drag-your-boat level is.

jP suggested the Lower Green, which is still running around 1000, so maybe we should change to that run? Though jP, didnt you say in another thread that that was below your "barely acceptable" cutoff?

If the Green is also a no-go, does anybody have any other suggestions for some good class II+ (maybe easy III) that is running? Looks like a lot of interest in getting out to work on skills, so I really hope we can get something nailed down.
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 11:27am
JP was probably talking about the Upper Gorge.

You're probably looking for the Lower Gorge. You'll probably find the Lower Gorge entertaining down to 400cfs.

I'm a definite maybe for Saturday. Babysitting this weekend. I just need to find a lid for the playpen or some duck tape that won't leave marks, so I can sneak out for a few hours.
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by briandunnington

If the Green is also a no-go, does anybody have any other suggestions for some good class II+ (maybe easy III) that is running?

The Cedar is a nice run and seems to be in. Sarah has to work on Saturday, so we might be doing the Cedar on Sunday.
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:38pm
Looks like the Upper Middle is definitely going to be too low, so I am thinking the Lower Green is the best Plan B.

We could meet at 10am at Flaming Geyser if that works. What say everyone?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 3:53pm
Brian what time are you guys meeting at flaming geyser?
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 4:41pm
I proposed meeting at 10am, but nobody else has confirmed yet. I really hope some folks want to come out and boat tomorrow - I am looking forward to it.
nelsonwoods
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote nelsonwoods Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 4:52pm
i can meet at flaming gyser at 10. see you then
briandunnington
Paddler
Paddler

Quote briandunnington Replybullet Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 4:59pm
my phone number is below in case anybody wants to sync up in the morning:

fore.ate.oh-six.five.too-seven.ate.six.too (call or text)
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version