Professor Paddle: middle middle this afternoon?!! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: middle middle this afternoon?!! Post Reply Post New Topic
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: middle middle this afternoon?!!
    Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 1:17pm
Dave,I got stalled here at work- did you head up there? I'm chompin at the bit and can leave Auburn at 1:35. Really want to get on some highwater and the Middle Middle is close.

Anyone else wanna rally? Call me.

jP
941-445-1638

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 3:13pm
Ok so here I am at the Middle Middle T.O. its just after 3pm. Where is everyone? Ha ha

So I'm cool doin a solo run, but damn a shuttle sure would be nice. Anyone bootn around North Bend who'd come up n help w/ that? I'd buy ya a six pack of your choice.

Worth throwin it out there.
All I got is a road bike or I'da brought it.

Anyone?

Cricket
Cricket

Ok I'll bring a head lamp n hoof it.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 3:34pm
whoops. Aint got no headlamp. Better paddle fast. Good thing I got a Diablo n some water
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 6:01pm
Well, that was a pleasant stroll down the 'ol schlitterbahn. I just can't resist a good Pineapple Express. Sure, I'd rather been up in the Sky drainage today with my homeboyz, but I didn't get out of Auburn till 2pm and had to grab what was within reach.

While the green was closer, I couldn't abide a paltry 1600 cfs when nearly every other river, creek and misc. Ditch across the land was pumping the pineapple juice.

So by 4pm I was boatn the middle middle at a good 6200 or whatever it was by then.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 6:20pm
Now, I'm not a frequent attendee of the MM. Usually its either too low for my liking or, when flows are suitably good, other stuff is running that normally isn't. So I'm not overly familiar with it and conseuently gave the larger features a wide berth. That and the encroaching dusk required that I make haste. I was sorry to pass more than a few nice large surf waves with decent foam piles.

Now before you leave this "page" shaking your head thinking "there goes another thread dedicated to one of jP's monologues", I would implore you to see the nuances escribed herein, to read further. Mine is no mere monologue. No! Monologues are for supr villains, of which I am not. Tragic hero in this case, perhaps. Regardless, mine is a soliloquy. The soloilquy of the lonely kayaker committed to making his way through the romantic adventure of the November Night in the Pacific Northwest!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 6:48pm
I made it to the T.O. w/ plenty of daylight. This backyard adventure is just now about to begin. Time to pay the piper. My bike shoes had been stolen, otherwise my bike would have been incorporated into my shuttle. As I said- I'm resigned to hoof it the 4 miles or so up to my van at the put in.

-an experience many a kayaker, sooner or later, experiences. Not limited to anyone of any particular skill level. After all, this takes place on the Middle Middle, an accessable class III run close to Pugetopolis...

I begin walking, jogging, ect. I at least brought proper footwear and remain geared up to retain my body heat. And here is where I gotta drop some third person on ya to segue deeper into this damp tale at dusk:

jP has an active imagination. And, often while hiking up some darkening evening byway, will fancy to wonder what goes on in the minds of those who drive by him as they no doubt wonder about him, too, jogging backwards with dripping thumb extended in an appeal to some sense of goodwill among the commuters who hasten to return to the cozy fruits of their labors.

Sometimes his grin is wide, almost a confession to the strangely unique brand of fun in which he unappologeticly engages in, as if to openly admit that there is no peril, that his pursuits and endeavors out in what most "sane" humans would deem an inhospitable cold and dreadful environment are entirely satisfying. Yet the thumb is there as a request: "but would you, could you, spare me the extra rigors of walking the entire way? It's the eve of Thanksgiving, after all."
Other times, jP wonders if perhaps it would be more productive if he wore a mask of feigned distress, that a sympathetic driver might take pity, or even imagine some dire outcome, colored by traffic reports and weather reports, and the relentless drizzle of gloom that is continually wiped aside by windshield wipers...

He tries the mask, but this dishonesty does not fit, so the unashamed grin of a highwater solo trip is restored...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 7:10pm
It is not yet dark when the lone kayaker trods onto SE 140th, when the State Highway Patrol car turns onto the same road alongside him. The officer does not stop, yet his mere appearance serves as a catalyst for the kayaker's previously mentioned active mind:

Good Lord! There's one of them kayakers. What brings these guys out in this miserable weather? Rivers are pretty swift about now, too. Reminds me of this friend I got who's also on the force- he's a Snohomish county Sheriff. Anyway once he told me about this kayaker he got a call on- I believe it was October of 2006.
Sheriff was helping out the fire dept. and search and rescue that day. Sultan was flooded, and thr Skykomish was about as high as he remembered it being. Someone phoned in a 911 call about on of them crazy kayakers who was enough of an idiot to get on the Skykomish. Ha ha, you should hear my buddy tell the story. He said all them search n rescue guys were pissed that so many people downstream had legitimate problems- whole ranches and farms being flooded out, you name it. And here's this punk kid goin an runnin that river ON PURPOSE. Makes me chuckle to think about it to this day. By the time my buddy showed up the guy was in his truck dry. I guess he managed to drag his sorry ass out of the river. My buddy does a lot of fish'n along that stretch n don't like them kayakers anyhow, so he dragged the kid out of his truck and hand cuffed him- made him stand on the pavement in the rain in his bare feet till he wuz shiver'n! That oughtta learn 'em, make an example outta him.
   Search and Rescue wouldn't let him go after his kayak neither. It was a red kayak, as I recall.
   Kayakers, I just don't understand him. What's this guy doin walkin up into the woods at dusk? I guess he ain't hurt'n nobody...

The kayaker watches as the patrol car fades into the deepening grey tones of the soggy dusk.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 7:41pm
Halfway up to the turnoff for SE Middlefork Rd, the kayaker is only passed by a few cars who zoom by too quickly for him to speculate on who is behind the wheel, barely acknowledging his outstretched thumb, leaving him in his solitude only to ponder the probobility of a ride, and the more certain likelyhood of a long walk the entire distance.
   Ahead the road stretches into deeply saturated hues of indigo, treetops blending solvent, shadows suffocating the faint orange glow of sparse lonely street lights. A truck of a more classic model now likely to be viewed by the average contemporary urbanite as "vintage" is closing the gap from behind the wet solitary figure...

What in THEE HELL?
The driver of the pick up squints and slows down just enough to make sure he doesn't hit the guy. Had a few beers after work and it is difficult enough making ends meet- don't need no complications by hittin some poor bastard walkin out in the middle o nowhere on a rainy night. As the head lights scan over the pedestrian he sees the strange garb- dingy orange suit what them trendy Seattlite fu*kers probably call "mango" or some stupid sh*t. He's wearin a helmet and a lifejacket and one o them neOprene things around the waist- I think they call it a skirt. fu*kin kayaker Faggot is what he is.
HELL NO I ain't goin' pick you up, Faggot!
I fu*kin worked all gotdamn day! Got up at 5 a.muthufu*kn m. I'm tired I wanna git home. 'Ol bitch is probly already mad as hell I ain't been home sooner.
You gonna pay me for the gas to give you a ride, kayaker-faggot? Gas ain't cheap. Always see'n you kayakers out here beggin for a ride. Where's your[I/] car? You fu*kers even got jobs? I always see you guys out here with your little shiny boats and your fancy gear- yall must have money cuz that sh*t cost money. fu*k REI. Go back to Seattle. I don't got time[I/] t' go kayak'n. I gotta put food on the table. fu*kin yuppies all moved in round me now my property taxes are through the fu*k'n roof!

God damn kayakers!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 8:01pm
The kayaker trods up SE Middle Fork Rd. It's a thick inky black now, held at bay only briefly by the wide array of orange and white lights of the school. The kayaker turns to face the next beam of headlights that emerge behind him, thumb presented in an unwaivering gesture of hope, yet muted by a measure of callous indifference.

The small, white compact car sticks out in contrast to the deeply forested setting, no longer emersed in the urban world, yet still cloaked in ubiquity as it procedes into the woods. Its driver just wants to get home. Its been a long day and yet the days are so short... She slows down with good intentions when she sees the sillohete of someone walking, yet uncertainty prevails. She'd like to help someone out, but picking up hitch hikers just seems unsafe. As her headlights sweep across the man she sees it is a white river rafter or kayaker or whatever- there's this guy at the hospital where she works who does white river kayaking, and he's kinda hot.
   But on closer examination she sees this kayaker guy and the uncertainty returns: he's got a goatee and facial hair that mildly conotes "axe murderer", or at least "Creepy Van Guy". I bet he's got a creepy van. I mean, I know he's a kayaker and the nurse I work with is one too and he seems really nice, but... I can't. I just can't. She applies slow and gentle foot pressure to the accelerater as if it could convey an appology of sorts, and the small white car is swallowed up by the Snoqualmie shadows.

Edited by jP - 23 Nov 2011 at 10:22pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 8:27pm
Surely, that can't be the end of it.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:38pm
Leaving the well lit oasis of the school zone behind, the kayaker continues his now mundane journey up into the enveloping darkness, still quite warm, if not exactly dry in his odd apparel.

Along zooms the inevitable fine SUV, gleeming in the cleansing rains of the night. The quaint squabble of its occupants regarding the logistics of tomorrow night's Thanksgiving meal was interupted by the hitch hiker clad in whitewater gear.
   "Is that man kayaking out in this weather?" She asked, almost appalled by the notion.
The man shrugged, hand still on the wheel. Best not to say anything.
   "Isn't the river EXTREMELY HIGH right now?"
Again he exhibited a subtle, non confrontational shrug.
   "He must be one of those Extreme Kayakers"
The man's left eyebrow imperceptively raised, careful not to betray the emotions he could barely himself detect.
    "Seems quite Dangerous! What a dreadful night to be out in this weather!"
     But the man scanned the individual as they passed by, pondering the words of his wife and what they might mean beyond her conjecture. That guy outside in the rain- pursuing some direct relationship with the wild elements of the Pacific Northwest. The freedom and independence of answering only to the laws of nature...
About 300 yards ahead of the rejected hitch hiker, the man put on the left blinker to signal the impending turn into the collection of riverside estates where the couple lived. This communication explicitly intended to say: "we are only going this far." Or, if the man was even conscious of his desire for something different, if he was even aware of his own deep seated yearnimg to feel something more-adventure perhaps, the activation of his turn signal might be interpreted as: "sorry, if I was driving alone, I'd give you a ride back up to your car"

But the kayaker was not surprised, and perhaps even imdifferent as he continued up the road.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Monk

Surely, that can't be the end of it.

Oh no, dear reader! Most surely not.

And while on occassion, wax Melleville I must, the conclusion does indeed draw nigh.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:12pm
As the final density of well lit driveways and homes receded into distance behind him, and the canopy of trees all but enclosed the road in darkness, bright lights once again pierced the night.

Turning to face another oncoming opportunity for either swift delivery or dissappointment, the kayaker evaluated a tightly packed array of many lights. The appraoching motor spoke of the authenticity of a truck that truly seemed to belong in this moment. And somehow, the walker knew his walking may be finished for the evening.
The Truck was well kept, large and clean as it slowed to a stop. The kayaker peered through the window to see a guy wearing a smile as if to say "Well? What are you waiting for? Climb on in!"

His apologies about being wet were casually swept aside as he climbed up into the cab and sat on the vinyl hunter-camo ala Cabella's upholstry. Some music was playing on the stereo:
"God is great, n Beer is good, n People are crazy"
   -well ok not really I made that up, to add to my already fictionalized account as seen from everyone else. But the guy was genuinely nice-
   We talked about the river and how high it was, He told me about how he rafts it at low water in the summer as he pointed out his house and drove past it to take me up to my van. I commended him for running the river that is almost litterally in his backyard. He knew House Rocks must be a "Strong IV" at this flow and described the line one generally takes through there for a clean run. I confirmed it as a IV, in fact pointing out that the whole run is mote weighted toward class IV at this flow, but mostly for its power and speed. That any boatet in a decked boat with a solid roll could still find class III lines all the way down with the exception of House Rocks and a few other large holes throughout that are best avoided...
   Back up at the van we wished each other a happy Thanksgiving and I gave him huge thanks for saving me at least two thirds of the walk in the end.

So tomorrow, when I sit down to grub, I'm going to include all the people who pick us up while we are hitch hiking as an extension of our paddling adventures. Those fictionalized vignettes I portrayed are just representative of some of the archetypes I imagine while I am out thumbing a shuttle.

Mostly I am just playing with this medium- the "novel-thread".

Now- who's boat'n tomorrow?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:13pm
Cricket
Cricket
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:43pm
Entertaining as always JP, thanks for sharing.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 2:48am
Indeed. had a good chuckle there.
Dale
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Dale Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 8:15am
I'm waiting for the audio version.

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 8:17am
Love it, JP. The Chronicles of John Prentice. JP, I'm thankful to have you back in the Seattle zone again, buddy. Missed ya.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Kiran
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Kiran Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 10:59am
Hilarious!

Made my day!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 11:59am

fun read!  Hope you continue to listen to the muse and share.

“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 2:37pm
right on... happy thanksgiving
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version