Professor Paddle: bituthene vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: bituthene Post Reply Post New Topic
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kevinh Replybullet Topic: bituthene
    Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 5:59pm

any one know where i can buy a small amount of bituthene (bitchathane)?

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 7:35pm
That is one of the required ingreedients for Crystal meth....
Nomad
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 8:25pm
You'd know Dave- that explains how ya got so Goofy. Ha! Believe it or not, I luv ya Dave. I just also luv givin u sh*t crumbs.

Now, on to Kevin's serious inquirey deserving of a serious answer:
Yup. Just bought some myself.

Lemme guess:
- you got one of them new fangled plastic boats.
- you cracked and need to repair it.

I just did as well. I have a whole roll left over. I am boating the Sky tomorrow. If you PM me tonight I can get you my cel# and arrange to meet you, or if it is more cost/time effective, you can go to Lowes like I did and pay $10 for the small roll.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 9:10pm
Now for Dr. Pizzle's Three'n a half cents on repairing new fangled plastic boats, or, as we refered to them in the 80's, "Tupperware"...

DISCLAIMER: The sh*t they sell at bLowes may not exactly be the product of which you speak (although anyone whose boated wit da Pizzle knows he's practicly composed of 75% Bitch-a-Thane. That's from havin to put up with too many Jonny-come-lately driftwood wingnuts who think they can drive a plan, but to digress is standard Pizzle procedure). Suffice to say it is basicly the same sticky tar nadty ass chemical wonder. My patch held up well to last weekend's Robe Canyon double feature... I may have been white knuckled but my boat was dry.

My Repair: (the real meat n pototoes of this post)
-drilled tiny hole at each end of my 3" crack. One hole accidently went through. BFD.
- crack zone was puckered like a... Well I actually shaved plastic off the canyon rim to ruduce the profile of it. Boat's already broke. I figger its better to keep that lippage to a minimum so it doesn't catch on rock later. Make sense?
-took out seat, dried inside of haul thoroughly. Isopropol cleaning would be best but I said fu*k it.
-cut a suitable size of -ha ha- Bitch-a-thane or whatever ( the roll at bLowes has a foil backing). I think its important to trim the corners of your patch. Round each corner before unpeeling the backing to save the corners from catching and wear.
-carefully I placed the center of the patch over the crack and, like a true craftsman, methodicly burnished the adhesive out from the center to the corners so no wrinkles could exist. This left, in my case with the material I used, the foil side up. I also methodicly worked the edges smooth ensuring full adhesion and bond.
-after my seat was re-installed, half of the patch was stickin out beyond the seat, under wher the thigh hangs out. Now here ya gotta think about what you and your boat go through if you are actively goin out into these mysterious PNW canyons on a frequent basis. fu*k it, yo. If you're like Boomer you prolly never get outta yer boat. Me? I'm in and out of mine a lot. I like my back and don't have health insurance so scouting and portaging... Tons of mud, dirt, sand, misc. foliage, ect. All are gonna conspire to degrade that patch. So I put a wear patch over the exposed edges of my patch, using a second piece of the same BitchyThane, applying the same high standards of Grade A Dr. Pizzle craftsmanship. Boom. The Salto is gonna be floating for another 300 trips, likely.
-Lastly, I found a mysterious tube of caulk from some bygone era of yesteryear in the garage. Never been opened. The tube yeilded to a careful squeeze with supple resilience. Label on the back described some nasty black tar-like compound with clay mixed in it. Intriguing. This turned out to be like Henry's roofing caulk, perhaps superior with its extra ingredients. I caulked the outside of the crack, and carefully removed all excess with a sqeegee and a spot of Tolulene, to keep the material recessed within the crack. I am confident it is bonding well with the patch material, filling the crack and further impeding the entrance of water while remaining flexible. It should continue curing and be more durable when it does.

Bam. How high's the water, papa? 6' high and rising. I'd say it passed the initial test. Just don't put your patch on the outside of your boat.

Edited by jP - 06 Nov 2011 at 7:55am
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 9:14pm
Last note on the subject: the subject of boat repairs comes up enough I'd have thought we'd have a sticky. sh*t, maybe we do. We should if we don't. But if you really want some entertainment, check out the Proffesor's "Playing with your crack" how to video- my phone is probably smart enough to dig it up n post the link, but I'm not! You owe to yourself to hunt it down though. Army men runnin all over the place its off da hook!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
kevinh
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kevinh Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 6:26pm
Thanks guys. Ill head to Loews and get a roll. Now all we need is more rain!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version