Professor Paddle: LL Stomper 80? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: LL Stomper 80? Post Reply Post New Topic
jwcook
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jwcook Replybullet Topic: LL Stomper 80?
    Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 3:54pm
I was curious if anyone has paddled the new stomper 80 and what your opinions are on it. There doesn't seem to be a dealer locally to demo the boat... I'm mainly looking for a creek boat for unsupported overnight trips/floats and hopefully moving into class IV rivers over the next year. Any pro and con comparisons to other creek boats? I'm a fairly short paddler as well, 5'6".
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jwcook
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jwcook Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:17pm
Or would a 90 be better since I'm also in the 185 to 190 range.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:40pm
I don't know the Stomper specs, but I've seen the boat paddle down the Truss and it looks like it boofs pretty good. I have a Villain S (79 gallons) and when I did my self support trip I was wanting a bigger boat. I'm 5'8" 170 and I'm getting a big Villain just for that reason. It's way faster too.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:49pm
I would personally suggest a 90. I paddle the 90 and I am 5'6" and 175lbs. I have always liked bigger creek boats. The Stomper is SICK!!! Here is a link to a review that I did:
Stomper 90 Review
I live in Wenatchee. If you want to check it out, you could come over and we could swap boats for a some rapids.
Chris Ohta

Edited by Tobin - 03 Nov 2011 at 8:33am
H2Ohta
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 4:50pm
Sorry about the link. I have issues with links on PP...moderators help please.
H2Ohta
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:37am
I think this will work:

Nice review Chris!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
jwcook
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote jwcook Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 10:04am
I'm pretty busy with school and can't make it out to wenatchee anytime soon. Thank you though for the offer! If my schedule opens up I might be able to take you up on that. How deep is the cockpit/deck height? I also contacted LL and they mentioned their concern was with my height sitting too low in the boat. Since I'm fairly new to full on creek boats, how much harder is the stomper 90 to maneuver than say the habitat 80 or other 8'5" boat? I have paddled in the habitat before. Is the added length benificial or cumbersome? Thanks again in advance.
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 11:52am
Initially I could feel that the seat was lower than in the Jefe series. Being shorter I liked the higher seat but many people felt that the center of gravity was too high for the lack of secondary stability in the Jefe's too. I really don't notice anymore that the seat is lower and I am pretty short. The Stomper is one of the easiest maneuvering boats out there. I think it paddles way better than the Habitat 80 (I had one). It's longer but it doesn't paddle like it. It paddles shorter in terms of maneuvering but the speed is there when ever you need it. Between a Habitat 80 and a Stomper 90, for me it's easy, Stomper 90 hands down. Best boat I have paddled!!!
H2Ohta
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 12:45pm
So if you totally blow a line in a stomper can you still say you stomped it? I mean technically???

What are your thoughts on Tumwater 2k+ vs Icicle ... Would you prefer more edges or are you happy with the little chines? I paddled the jefe and jefe g, ended up with the Burn now but I could see myself being interested in checking out the stomper because there are sides to the jefe that i miss. Still those edges don't look that big.
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 3:38pm
Personally, there is plenty of edge for me. You should try one out. It has enough edge with out being trippy and I don't notice the edges until I want to.
H2Ohta
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote FLUID Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 7:46pm
I went from the Burn to the Remix 79 and am loving it. Stoked on the Stomper 90 and think its going to be the best of both worlds... the remix creeker with suddle edges like a burn = amazing !!  I personally hated the jefe and jefe grande and the habitat 80 for that matter but for some reason like the new LL boats... find a boat that you feel good in and makes you creek with confindents.... Its different for everyone depending on your mood and peer and pro kayaker marketing influences..... but one thing is true when it comes to creek boats, more volume is better than less.  
Monk
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Monk Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 7:30am
It's gonna be the 80 for me. I'm 5'9" and 180, but sitting in the 90 felt like sitting in a bathtub. The combing came up to the middle if my ribs. The 80 felt like a great fit. My 2 cents.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 11:36am

Monk,

That is how I felt about the everest when I switched from a Jefe. Seemed like so much boat, but now it feels totally normal and I actually feel like I could go bigger! I would try a 90 before making the decision.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Ellingferd

Monk,

That is how I felt about the everest when I switched from a Jefe. Seemed like so much boat, but now it feels totally normal and I actually feel like I could go bigger! I would try a 90 before making the decision.

Totally agree!!! I am in the process of adding some foam under the seat cover to raise it up a little.
H2Ohta
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 12:30pm

I was just checking this Stomper boat out... and I really don't 'see' the edge on it.   Seems more like a displacement hull with some chambered sides.  Not to be disagreeable and all; but to say this boat has edges... I mean really? 

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 12:48pm
"chambered sides"??-  not sure where I got that from... guess I thought I was saying "chamfered edges", but still don't 'see' the edge; not that it matters at all whether I see it or not.  Just coming from a Burn where that boat definitely has edges.  But whatever, all in the eye of the beholder, eh.... 
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 12:55pm
Ohta,

Totally agree about rasing up seat height. I put myself up about an inch in the everest, made a world of difference.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 2:07pm
Just finished raising the seat with a 3/4 inch seat pad under the seat cover and it makes a huge difference for sure. Relatively easy to do also.
@Monk-You are welcome to check my 90 out with the raised seat before you make the decision between the 80 and 90
H2Ohta
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version