Professor Paddle: So you think you have balls vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: So you think you have balls Post Reply Post New Topic
FLUID
WW Industry
WW Industry

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FLUID Replybullet Topic: So you think you have balls
    Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 5:53pm
This is unbelievable !! the gear, the skill ?, the WATER !!! this makes most of us look like pussy's. Watch the first descent of the Susitna. These guys defined kayaking expedition big water kayaking. They are animals or completely off there rocker. you can see one swim and a couple bad carping rolls. Amazing !!!    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb17AX-urRw
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
justasec
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote justasec Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 9:23pm
 WoW! lodda wadda!.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 6:01am
Wow, that is beyond amazing, plus with 1970's gear like you said - jawdroppingly good.  I love the part right after the swim where the guy in the white boat goes through that huge standing wave and the maelstrom beyond.  Thanks for posting this.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 9:17am
Ok at 3:22 that guy is just getting Rag Doll'd. I have seen this before but everytime it is just as wild!
irenen
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote irenen Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 7:57am
I just thought this was ironic:  According to what I've read, that incredible descent of the Susitna River in the 1970's was in part a response to a proposed dam project on the river, which was abandoned in the 1980's.

Now there's another huge dam project on the Susitna in the works, Governor Parnell is gung-ho and apparently it is being pushed forward very fast.  Here's a quote from an  Alaska Dispatch article:

"The Susitna Dam is the largest state-funded project in Alaska history with a cost of 5 to 8 billion dollars. When built to its full 800-foot height it will be the 8th tallest dam on earth. While the Grand Coulee Dam in Washington averages 3,400 megawatts a year, the Susitna Dam will average 280 to 300 megawatts."

The Coalition for Susitna Dam Alternatives ( http://susitnadamalternatives.org/ ) has more on it, and I guess AW is on it too.  But it doesn't look too good right now.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 8:25am
There are 7 dams TALLER than 800 feet???
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 10:20am
Jeez that's sad. Given the public national outcry over the Pebble Mine and its impact on salmon runs, I hope this project is strongly opposed. Seems like that Coalition has some great arguments: one of which is that the dam would be close to an active earthquake faultline!

Kinda puts the Sky and Ernies projects into perspective a bit. Obviously those affect us more as recreationalists (at least the Sky for me ), but their ecological impact pales in comparison to the Susitna.

Wouldn't it be great if the "green" energy industry was further along in developing alternatives to hydropower?
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version